Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

those with painted rear sensor strips

6K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  DCSpecial 
#1 ·
what did you do/have done? can the chrome be sanded off for easier adhesion? did you purchase a limited strip, smooth and paint that?

no one wants to touch mine and the 1 guy who would wants $300 for it...*cough* bull crap *cough*

i have plenty of gloss and flat vinyl to wrap it but id rather not.

damn all this chrome.

#29 ·
Ok bumping back up this thread.

For those of you who painted the rear sensors, what kind of prep did you or your bodyshop do? I know for the rear strip they should sand down the chrome and use adhesion promoter, but what about on the sensors?

Also does anyone have pics of a brilliant black painted rear strip??

#32 ·
I used this approach on both the strip and sensors:

Sand, adhesion promoter, self etching primer, primer, primer sealer, color and clear.

good info thanks. my truck is going into the shop to get a new rear bumper cover to replace the one the one that got rear-ended. Since they are transferring the strip over I might just have them paint it then. I need to try and find some rear pics of brilliant black painted strip.

#34 ·
I would paint to match on Brilliant Black.

Mine is satin black.....but my Jeep is silver. And I sprayed it with a rattle can, LOL.
LOL yea I think paint match is the way to go. It will complete the look with your headlights if I ever get my lazy ass to install them.. They look awesome in my garage right now ... in the box :mad:

So from what I read so far it seems the sensors still work fine as long as they are not too dirty. Well that may be a problem with the amount of time I find to wash my Jeep LOL :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.