Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

those with painted rear sensor strips

6K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  DCSpecial 
#1 ·
what did you do/have done? can the chrome be sanded off for easier adhesion? did you purchase a limited strip, smooth and paint that?

no one wants to touch mine and the 1 guy who would wants $300 for it...*cough* bull crap *cough*

i have plenty of gloss and flat vinyl to wrap it but id rather not.

damn all this chrome.

#2 ·
there is a laredo rear strip that is the textured black you can have sanded smoothed and painted... dont know p/n tho

#5 ·
hell i can do yours easy. gloss black metallic vinyl badabing badaboom. 60 minute job after its off. lmk when they make a steel blue vinyl.

ill keep anyone posted who cares.

maybe ill check a junk yard or two.

#8 ·
I had mine done with vinyl & then cut out the sensors, looks a little cheezy, but they still work.

#12 ·
I put vinyl on mine. It was leass than $200 for the front, rear, side and window moldings.
I think Harrison did the same thing.
He cut out the rear sensors and put the vinyl back over them individually.
You cannot tell the difference.
The only time it beeps or has a problem if it has been raing and a lot of road dirt has covered them.

#13 ·
hell id charge less than that for that amount or work. i have all the vinyl here in my garage for other cars but they dont make anything remotely close to SBM. i was thinking gloss black to match my dark tails. havent decided 100% though.

whatd you do for the side moldings while youre mentioning it? did you use a stiff tape to cover the "grand cherokee" or fill it in first?

#15 ·
****. thats cheap. i over pay for everything :/

gotta go back to my old painter who was like that. just not sure if he can do chrome. i guess well see if i start to see flakes coming off.

#17 ·
you know i thought i overpaid for some previous paint jobs but after hearing more and more of these deals. i want to go and shoot these places and tear off their legs! -lol

i swear i hear about deals around me all the time but it seems its only when i dont need anything painted- hahaha.

#18 ·
I took my back bumper off and removed everything when i got the back strip color matched. I covered my sensors individually with vinyl as well. Looks great, just like the paint does.
I also get the beeps when it rains or gets dirty like ttyndall, but only from the right side. Left side is flawless all the time. Whenever i get some free time, i'm going to remove the back bumper and redo the 2 right ones.
Def recommend this and it is very easy to return to stock if you ever should want/need to. Not to mention the satisfaction of doing it yourself!

#21 ·
cleaned with an adhesive remover, but did not brush it up with fine sand paper or anything. I suppose using some 220 or a soft brass wire brush would promote adhesion, but I really haven't had problems with adhesion. Just pull your masking quickly before a strong bond forms and you get some peel with the tape.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.