Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Bwoody Washer Tank Fix WK2

21K views 79 replies 17 participants last post by  xJoshxx 
#1 · (Edited)
Had some time today to figure out a better washer tank solution. I've seen this coolant tank at the auto parts store before and figured I could make it work with some modding.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d..._-1&keyword=coolant+recovery+tank+-+universal

I bent the mounting tabs to the side some to make it fit. Used a hole saw, 1", and drilled a new port for the low fluid sensor. Then I drilled a new hole (27/64th) for the factory pump. Low fluid sensor is on the backside next to the driver headlight. Washer pump in located on the bottom of the tank. I used a couple zip ties just in case to hold the factory pump in place. But, the fitment is snug and takes some effort to pull the pump out. I thought about using an epoxy to mount the pump, but i want to keep it easily removable. Otherwise a new pump is around $80. You can't see the zip ties on the underside, so no one will know ;)

The rest is pretty simple. Mark the location for the bracket and drill two small pilot holes for the mounting screws. Then screw the bracket in place. I used the factory washer pump wiring as it reaches the pump with a little extra length to spare. I used the bwoody harness with the low fluid sensor connector to reach the new location. The factory doesn't have enough length. Then just plug the washer lines back into the pump. Labeled "F" and "R" Front and Rear. The front line is the hard plastic, the rear is the flexible line.

The coolant tank as a nipple top and bottom that need to be plugged. I just used some of the supplied hose in the kit and bent it over on itself and zip tied it for now. The lower port isn't really seen. I'll figure something out for the top port to make it look cleaner. Transfer the factory washer cap over to the new tank. It fits, but is slightly larger then the supplied cap. It seems to stay on though. I used a zip tie for now to attach the cap to the bracket incase it falls off. I will make a cable for it later.

Here are the installed pics. Needs a couple finishing touches, but it works like OEM again. Simple to do, took me about an hour to figure it out. All the work can be done from the engine bay assuming your connections can be reached. I left mine easy to get to from when I first installed the bwoody.

Let me know what you guys think. I think it looks better than the bwoody setup. Now I got the bwoody, factory washer function, larger capacity, and better looks. Win Win in my book.

See less See more
Reactions: Need4spdnb
#36 ·
Yup. IIRC that's what it was when I was looking up parts at a dealer in Indiana.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

#41 ·
#43 ·
Ok gentlemen, I have some info for you if you run in to the same problem I did.

I did the whole setup, just like Mongoose. I went to spray some fluid and got absolutely nothing. I went back in to my engine bay and couldn't figure it out, I was moving the new container around and I lost my seal of the washer fluid, it all poured out, no big deal. My problem was that when I was trying to pull enough slack for the stock washer fluid pump line, the connector was severed off because of the taps that I had used with the Bwoody supplied connectors.

When you do Zac's proposed setup, you need to use the low level fluid connector from the Bwoody connectors, and the stock washer fluid pump connector. Unless your Jeep was built with more slack in the wiring, I had barely enough slack to get the stock washer fluid connector to the pump itself. Every time I tried to pull more, I must have weakend the wire and eventually it severed.

So, I went to my dealer the other day to get new connectors. You may ask why I did not just solder my old lines, when I used the Bwoody taps, I put them about an inch away from the connector, there wasn't much line to use and I didn't feel like trying to make it work.

Get ready, the new connectors aren't cheap. The Low Level Washer fluid connector is $25 bucks. You get the connector and about 18" of wire. You have to put the wires in the connector yourself, they don't do it for you.

The Washer Fluid Pump connector is $95. I have no idea what makes is so friggen expensive, it just is. Again, connector and 18" of wire. You have to put the wires in the connector yourself.

The only good thing is that they give you 4 wires in each package, so you can do one of the supplied connectors, and you can fix your old ones, so you will have a backup just in case.

Here are the part numbers:

Windshield Wiper Fluid Pump connector: 1-68080560AA
Low Level sensor connector: 1-68045333AA

Hope this info helps anyone else who needs it. I will be extending my factory lines next week when this dreadful heat leaves us alone. It's 105 with high humidity, in the garage it is unbearable.

#44 ·
I finally got around to splicing in the new wiring connectors today. I then re-installed the setup that Mongoose showed us on page 1. I am one happy camper, I have what I think is the best option for a COLD air intake, as well as water pressure for the windshield wiper fluid.

I had to make one modification though, I used spacers when I bolted the metal frame to the engine bay, I needed to get the tank and the pump away from the intake itself, it was hanging too low. I spaced it out about 2.25" and it looks great. I now need a new lid for it and I am good to go. Thanks Zac for your efforts.

#45 ·
No problem man. Any pics of your setup?

Sent from my iPhone 4S

#46 ·
I will take some pics today, I finished it up last night as the sun was setting, wouldn't have made for good pics.

#47 ·
Ok, here are a few pics, sorry for the crappy quality. Taking car in tomorrow for an oil leak, then I'll post pics of the whole ride. (they wash it for free, I was going to waste my own time today washing and remembered they do it.)

Attachments

#48 ·
Looks great! I wanted to see how you spaced it out.

#49 ·
Well spacing it out was easy, I am in the home theater business and all TV mounts come with plastic spacers. I used 2 on each side, and a few washers to get it far enough out from the intake. I tried taking up close shots but they came out like crap. I'll try again later. And I just ordered a Billet cap for it so I don't have to have the stock one dangling with a zip tie.

#50 ·
I'll have to snag a pic of my latest setup. I ended up taking a small plastic welding rod and bending it over in a "U" shape and used some epoxy to fasten it to the bottle. It's more like the OEM setup how it would snap into place.

#51 ·
Sounds cool, do shot some pics when you can, I know the exhaust is taking your time now. I would love to get the cap to close like stock on the bottle, it looks kinda tacky right now, I'm just happy things work again and I don't have any error codes.

#52 ·
Not the best pics. Getting dark and used the iPhone.

Reactions: Need4spdnb
#53 ·
Thanks for the pics Zac. How does the new cap fit? Is it slightly loose like the stock, or a little more snug?

#54 ·
Fits like the OEM, slightly loose. It stayed on just fine so far, so I'm not worried about it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

#55 ·
New washer reservoir

So after my initial washer tank that I custom fabbed failed due to heat breaking the plastic welds, I finally got together with my custom fab guy and got an aluminum tank made up that will work with the factory washer pump, I will get pics up once I get home. Still have to get it anodized to match the red on the catch can but it looks really nice from the pics I have seen!

#56 ·
So after my initial washer tank that I custom fabbed failed due to heat breaking the plastic welds, I finally got together with my custom fab guy and got an aluminum tank made up that will work with the factory washer pump, I will get pics up once I get home. Still have to get it anodized to match the red on the catch can but it looks really nice from the pics I have seen!
In for pics. I've been needing to find a local shop to do something similar but haven't had the time lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

#57 ·
Yeah I finally got some time, definetly looks much better than the plastic crap we were stuck with before!

#62 ·
I shelled out over $500 for a CAI from Bwoody. I ordered the candy red but when the package came there was a black tube... I contacted them and they had me send it back, then they sent me the red one, no big deal just had to wait like another week... At no point before or after the purchase did they tell me that the OEM washer functionality would be messed up. What a joke. On top of all this the bracket that connects the air tube to the front bumper section down by the air filter busted off the tube probably from engine torque. I emailed them several times without a response. I would have figured they would at least say something to me but NOPe nothing. screw them, ill not be buying any BWoody crap again.

#63 ·
Tank Pics

Ok guys sorry it took me so long to get these pics up, life is always a hectic thing. I still need to get the tank anodized red but this is what my friend fabbed out of aluminum for me, uses the factory washer pump so both front and rear sprayers work by themselves.

Attachments

Reactions: Bono392
#64 · (Edited)
Nice one! I'm just about to fit my Bwood intake and need to sort a bottle of some kind - Assume no other update from them as to a solution? (aware of Zac's one, but just curious as to other options - ideally keeping factory pumps as done here.. Cheers!

#65 ·

This is about the only way to extend it and make it larger. The height is pretty much maxed out with a small gap between the bottle and bwoody CAI. The width doesn't allow much room either.

#66 ·
Cheers Zac! So I take it the bottle is currently about 4.5" deep (shown) x 5.5" wide? Any idea of vertical height? Maybe 6.5"? Will help finding a suitable equivalent over here :) Thanks!

#67 ·
6" wide. 5" deep and 7" height plus the fill neck which sits another 1/2" tall or so.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#68 ·
You could run a hose from top to bottom where u plugged it to use as fluid level guage thenpaintbtank to match engin bay
But it's a great idea and a solution that bwoody should of been able to do

#69 ·
Just got my bwoody installed. I'm working in the washer bottle fix now. My question is there are two motors with the factory setup. How are y'all achieving factory function by only using one pump? Any help is appreciated. I want to get this fixed before into or of town. The bwoody pump is a turd.

#70 ·
One pump does both front and rear. The other is a low fluid sensor.

#72 ·
i am guessing the '14s must be different. I have two pumps and a low fluid sensor. Sensor is removed in this pic.

If there's room I am going to try and stick both pumps under the coolant tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.