Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Cool air for my Hennessy CAI?

8K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Filippelli74 
#1 ·
Alright, I went With the Hennessy CAI for my 2012 SRT8. I notice better throttle response , but not much else.

I wonder if anyone here has considered running a cooling duct from the vent opening on the right side running up to the area right under the filter? I think the car would appreciate the extra cool air as opposed to swallowing all that heated air coming off the engin.

Any thoughts on this idea? It seems like a pretty easy modification to take on.

#3 ·
Another option if you are unaware, there is a removable piece above the driver headlight that the non SRT8 WK2 uses to duct air into the intake box. The part is boxed in red and uses the two push rivets highlighted in yellow to secure it.

#4 ·
Interesting!

I was thinking about something similar to the fresh air ducts you see in some race cars these days using some of the same flexible hose you see feeding cool air to disk brakes.

Ill have to take a closer look at that upper section you pointed out, that could be a better location to scoop in cool fresh air. Plus its much closer to the target!

Thanks!

#5 ·
Modification Complete!

Finished the CAI duct project yesterday and I'm just painting the bezel surrounds now. I'll post pics of the install tomorrow.

Really happy with the results,it pushes a ton of cool air directly into the Hennessy filter as well as the engine bay. Also, I must admit the aircraft duct I installed in the front lower vent looks very cool, sort of a functional/industrial style!

I'll also post a link to the parts used in case others want to give this a try. The install took about 2.5 hrs (excluding painting) and cost under 100 bucks!

This is a good solution for those who don't want to go the Bwoody rout which requires the relocation of the washer fluid reservoir in order to get the filter in front of cold air. Instead, this solution brings the cold air to the filter.

#6 ·
Looking forward to the pics

Sent from my iPhone 5

#7 · (Edited)
Pics of CAI Duct Modification

Alright, first things first. Here is a list of the parts used:

From Aircraft Spruce & Specialty Co.

(2) 2.5" Alum Flange (Part# 10350-10)
3 feet SCEET-10 Ducting 2 1/2" dia. (Part#05-30610)
(2) hose clamps

You will also need a Dremmel Tool with a sanding wheel to cut a perfect 2.5" hole in the lower right vent (pics should make this clear!)

-A drill
-1/8" drill bit
-(3) 1" 6mmAllen Bolts w/locking nuts and 1/2" washers (these are for sandwich mounting the flange to the lower vent)

Pics:

#8 ·
Damn cool idea (oooh.. sorry about that :p). Any reports from the drive? (eg whislting or other noise, banging around etc - not ure how attached at the top?). Good on you for having a go at something new :)

PS - Are your duct rings & hood badge painted or wrapped? If painted, no dramas reattaching badge lettering correctly? Cheers!

#9 ·
Re. Duct issues

Nope no noise at all! The entire assembly is zip tied in so there is no movement what so ever.

The black hood badge was ordered from just forjeeps.com. I didn't want to screw around with painting such a front and center badge so I bought one from the factory. The vent bezels are painted with the same Black Pearl paint as the rest of the car.

#10 ·
The whole Jeep looks really good...nice idea!

#11 ·
I think the idea behind your CAI system is great. I probably would have removed the entire lower grill insert though and made the whole thing air passage similar to the ram air intake

#12 ·
Re: Ram Air comment

Yeah, I hear you, but that wouldn't work in this case, as I wasn't interested in relocating the washer fluid reservoir, disturbing all the wiring harness mounts and fabricating a custom duct and grill insert. I also like the fact that the two front vents match on either side with the exception of the intake duct on the right.

This solution is very effective in moving a ton of air up into the area right beneath the intake filter with a fraction of the custom work. I've also mitigated the risk of making this modification look rigged and half assed.

I'm happy with the solution.

#13 · (Edited)
Looks great and should serve its purpose well.

I was wondering though why you went the route you did? I like symmetry and now the Jeep just looks a little off to me. Your work looks professional, but maybe instead paint the aluminum black so it blends in?

With the WK1 guys did a similar type mod for the Volant CAI. What I did was just zip tie the tubing to the backside of the grill. It wasn't noticeable unless you really got in there and looked. The yellow circles show the zip ties. Small and black so they blended right in with the grill. I almost wonder if you could of just went that route?

#14 ·
Re: Different Route

Hey Mongoose,

Yep, I considered the idea of simply putting the duct on the back side of the grill. But I liked the idea of having a more finished look to the mod. as far as the silver satin finish on the duct, I agree that eventually I will have it powder coated black. Probably at the same time I have my Borla exhaust tips blacked out (Borla S is still on BO!)

#15 ·
Hey Mongoose,

Yep, I considered the idea of simply putting the duct on the back side of the grill. But I liked the idea of having a more finished look to the mod. as far as the silver satin finish on the duct, I agree that eventually I will have it powder coated black. Probably at the same time I have my Borla exhaust tips blacked out (Borla S is still on BO!)
Gotcha. That's cool. It's your Jeep so mod away! It does look good though. Maybe do the other side and add another duct?

Sent from my iPhone 5

#17 ·
I'd say it's near impossible to hydro lock a filter up in the engine bay, even with a scoop flowing air to it. You'd need to submerge the filter and suck up water. A filter getting splashed and misted won't do anything. The oiled filters help repel water. If you want extra piece of mind, cover the filter with a dry charger.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.