Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

NV146 Transfer Case Rebuild DIY

67K views 74 replies 27 participants last post by  Turbo_Terrific 
#1 ·
Here is the full write up for rebuilding your transfer case. I was having binding while turning and my service 4wd light went on. I could not afford to buy a new case/built case, and could not afford to have it rebuilt. I took the motor out of the case and ran it in 2wd for 11 months. Now i decided ill make a DIY since no one has and everyone has trouble with their transfer case. Total it cost me $462.00 and some time. Took me 4 times to get it right.

parts
http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/Tcase_2008_Parts.pdf

-I started by rolling the rig up on some ramps and block the tires so it doesnt roll back, make sure emergency brake is engaged.

-Unhook the battery

-Drain the transfer case

-Take a 15mm socket and take out the drive shaft bolts, you may need a breaker bar and a smaller socket wrench to get them out. (4 bolts total)

-Depress the drive shaft to the rear of the vehicle and unmate it from the transfer case.After moving the drive shaft it will look like so.

-Inside the coupler is a 32mm nut, you must remove it to remove the coupler. It will take a breaker bar and a deep drive socket. One you remove the nut take a hammer and give the couple a couple light taps towards the rear of the vehicle, it should come off. Make sure the output shaft doesn't move. Once you loosen it up you should be able to remove with your hands.Some fluid will drain out.

- Take a 10mm socket and remove all the bolts holding the rear most plate on.After removing the bolts take a large flat head screw driver and pry the plate off using the notch in the bottom of the case. Fluid will leak out

-Remove the two gear like pieces that are around the output shaft.

- Using a 10mm socket, assorted extensions remove the bolts that hold the two sides of the t-case together. I broke one while removing it so be careful liquid wrench may be helpful. After all the bolts are removed on the top of the case is a rubber hose, unplug is from the nipple on the top of the case, you can feel it on the rear most part of the case.
I used a larger pry bar and pried the case apart, it takes alittle because you have to break the seal. Once the seal is broken carefully remove the half of the case.

- On the output shaft there will be a snap ring which holds the clutches in the basket. Remove the snap ring and take out the worn clutches.

-clutches removed

-The clutches alternate between clutch and plate, put the clutches back in how you removed them. Make sure when reinstalling the spring is seated correctly.

- Clean the inside of the t-case,the pickup filter and the magnet in the bottom of the case. I took a piece of sand paper and lightly sanded the edges of the case to clear any debris so the gasket rebonds on reinstall.

-ATTENTION!!! this part is very important, if done wrong you will have to take back apart like i did. When reinstalling the rear most plate that holds the clutches in make sure the notch is facing the passenger side. I installed it wrong the first time and my tcase was engaged 100% of the time. See picture There is a notch in the plate and a notch on the arm that engages the clutches.

- Using high temp oil resistant black liquid gasket outline the half of the t-case you have removed from the vehicle. Make sure both side are clean before reinstalling.

Reinstall the half of the case back. Note Tuck the rubber hose on the top back while reinstalling so it doesnt touch the wet gasket. See the hose at the top of the photo just push it back until you have it installed.

-Put the bolts back in a retorque them down so everything is snug.Plug the hose back into the nipple on the top

-put the gear pieces back onto the output shaft

-put more gasket material on the last plate and reinstall it, torquing all the bolts down.

-Reinstall the drive shaft coupler make sure it lines up perfectly with the drive shaft, if you have to twist the drive shaft to one extreme or the other the coupler is on wrong. The shaft should have a small amount of play in it once reinstalled.

-Install Transfer Case motor and plug.

- Wait a couple hours so the gasket material dries.

-Fill up with NV146 fluid i used about 1 3/4 quarts.

-Plug the battery back up and take it for a spin.

My clutches were torn up

Im not a certified mechanic, this is just a helpful guide if you would like to try to tackle it like i did. Goodluck If anyone has anymore helpful tips they are welcomed.

See less See more
#2 ·
#6 ·
Great write-up!

#11 ·
If the notch is facing up or down when reinstalling the half of the case the dark gray arm will not sit flush thus causing the spring to stay depressed. If the spring is depressed the clutches stay together. I dont believe it directly relates to the tcase motor. If you look at the picture of the dark gray arm you will see two raised notches on the top and bottom(shiney silver due to pressing the plate). If the notch hits those it will not activate properly

#17 ·
I always heard the clutch plates were carbon fiber and hence the reason for the NV146 fluid. Is that true?

#19 ·
Cool link and info

#27 ·
#30 ·
This is a list of all part numbers I found searching the Internet. Hope this helps y'all who are gonna do this job yourself.

Text Document Paper Font
Text Document Font Paper
Text Font Paper Document Parallel
Text Font Design Drawing Illustration

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#31 ·
Awesome write-up, another vote for sticky.

Add 2 more clutch plates and you've got yourself a $2,500 paramount unit.

#32 ·
Is that really the big difference between a stock and a paramount?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#34 ·
Very nice writeup. Now... for someone to start milling out some baskets that are made for the extra clutches and selling them.
Tick-Tock Tick-Tock.

Reactions: nubtard
#35 ·
That clock is still ticking...
Is anyone selling the parts all kitted up and ready to buy, or do you have to source all the material from the dealership or something?
My service 4wd system light is coming on and it's roaring a little bit every time the AWD kicks in now. (every since I did a 1800rpm hit at the track with the 2-step it's been acting funny) I may be able to change the fluids, but something tells me those clutches in mine aren't happy for some reason or another. I'll post a new thread for that.
Also, any word on Blackstone?

#37 · (Edited)
Post 30. Thank you... now, for me to find where to get those parts.
Why would anyone pay $2500 when they can just replace some clutches, springs, and snap rings & a chain??

Note: With that list, you can find everything you'll need to do the rebuild for $500 shipped from RT Parts Co.

Also, any thoughts on how I can cryo my own chain?

And I can't get that .PDF on the WK Jeeps site to load on any of my browsers for some reason. Nor can I get the "Parts List" in the first post.
I figure things like the shaft and thrust bearing typically don't need to be replaced.

Annnd.... the PN for the motor or "actuator" is 5143786aa. That should be in this thread as well. I had to do a double take because it's listed as an "actuator-fuel control" on one site, and that bad boy is ~$350

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.