Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

D1 procharger question

5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  bushmaster3000 
#1 ·
Ok so I was going to buy a vortech v3 kit but have been talked into buying a d1 kit.which might be a good thing. Now is this kit safe to be put on a stock 07?? Bigger pulley and I guess detuned??? I really would like to buy one kit and be satisfied from start to being able to go faster with stronger safer drivetrain.. Pretty much am I going to use some of the d1 without doing thousands more dollars of mods?

#5 · (Edited)
Just to add to Phil's post I would get a Stage 2 valvebody from Bill as that will make your tranny survive a bit longer too... Then when you go to buy Bills trans he will deduct the 600 from the tranny from him cuz you already have his stage 2 Valvebody.

Reactions: Slopbox
#6 · (Edited)
PM me personally if you have any questions. I've done and learned a lot with my Procharger kit over the last year. Including dealing with extra mods, pulley & fuel upgrades and also the dreaded transmission issues. I can pretty much tell you exactly what you will have to spend for different boost levels /whp to keep it running safe.

Bottom line...A D1 running at 7-8lbs or a P1 at 8-9lbs with a proper fuel pump / injector upgrades, valve body or Blue Tops, and a conservative tune will have you running in the 525-550whp range all day with no issues to engine or transmission. DON'T over heat the transmission by road coursing the Jeep or hot lapping in stupid high temps...as soon as you do it will be toast! Higher boost levels will have you needing a full built transmission upgrade at some point, and depending on your driving habits maybe sooner then later.

Don't be swayed by bad reviews on the Blue Tops for a transmission upgrade, its one of the cheapest and best mods for performance...mine worked flawlessly even at 12lbs of boost till other things in the transmission failed that lead me to the purchase of a SHR from Skip...

PM anytime and good luck with the purchase.

#8 ·
My 06 has 113K now with over 200 running hours on the procharger.
Only issue is I broke the stock tensioner beating the piss outta it one night.
No Belt issues. No tuning issues...with Johan! The trans started slipping
1st track outing and is now at dealer getting an SHR installed. I drive it daily.
Not sure which S/C is better Vortech or procharger, but the customer support
from skip is the key! +- a few horses whatever. You can still romp on most anything
now without worry.

#10 ·
+1 on everything said above. I had a good year with my D-1 stock everything else and ran it at 7-8psi. I was gonna get a trans this winter but I am not sure yet gotta get some other things in line first. Skip is def a nice guy that will be glad to help point you in the right direction.

#11 · (Edited)
It all depends on what your goals are, if you are just wanting some more power for the streets then the Complete Procharger Kit may be the thing for you. They offer an Optional 5 year / 100K mile powertrain warranty, may want to look into that.
-Even at safe settings your transmission will eventually take a crap on you. I'm sure the tune that comes with the Kit is a safe tune but with any Can Tune it probably will not be anywhere near a Custom Tune.

If you are planning on doing more than just the blower and/or want to track it then you will, at some point, need the following:

-For one I would go with the D-1 Tuner Kit along with FRPP 80# injectors, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Custom Tune(A few choices here, all reputable), colder plugs. Go ahead and get the fuel system as mentioned below or go with the Stage 6 fuel hat if you are on a budget.
-Built Transmission (I have a SHR but BuilderBill has a good reputation)
-Fuel System (I built my own hat but only because I had the means to do so, Skip @ Demon performance has a good complete fuel system for about $2k I believe)
-Not vital to make the car robust, but headers/exhaust will definitely help.
-Don't forget to make room for Tires, those stock tires will not help much with the power you will be making.
-You will probably have the same problem i'm having of spinning just two of your tires(Back right and front left), so a LSD will definitely be a must if you are tracking this vehicle.

I have not had any problems with chewing up belts, or any problems with the actual Procharger Products for that matter. I have ordered a Dayco Belt Tensioner just to be on the safe side along with a couple of belts to keep in the car.

-My jeep has come around night and day from adding the fuel system, transmission, torque converter.

Problems?:
-No belt problems
-No blower Problems
-No installation problems
-Stock dead head style fuel system was not doing well for me, was having low pressure so I upgraded to a return style fuel system.
-My transmission gave up at about 7 thousand miles with the blower. It has been driven hard and tracked many times, under daily driving conditions I'm sure this would not be the case. Just remember the harder to drive the more you are going to pay lol.
-The tuning pre-fuel system was done very easily, Johan is a great tuner with fast response times(Now that there has been a few Jeeps with this kits I'm sure the tuning is almost dead nuts the first time around). He works on a email based tuning system and lays it out very neatly for you. Two other great tuners are Hemi-Tuner and JerseyBoy, both very reputable.
-The install, if done at home, is very easy and takes almost zero skill to do. The procharger instruction manual is very straight forward and easy to follow(Lots of Pictures).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.