Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

MIL Indicator Flashing

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  DrSheldonCooper 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this or what the cause might have been if you did.

I was coming back from VA yesterday driving to NY and about 100 miles before home the MIL light comes on and starts flashing! I immediately freak out thinking something might be damaging going on with the engine as I am aware if this light flashes it's recommended to stop or pull over. It blinked for about a minute and then eventually just went out. The car definitely ran weird as it was blinking - went to go push the gas and it basically just bogged down or cut power.

I have it scheduled to take into the dealer tomorrow to see what happened. Hopefully it stored some code so they can diagnose it properly. Funny thing is that it never came back on and vehicle actually now feels like it's running better (throttle response, trans shift - don't know could be just my head but something happened).

Thankfully I haven't tuned the car yet - just ordered my Trinity today and looking to install the new tune later in the week. Hopefully get this issue addressed before I do that.

Let me know if I should be concerned or if others have experienced this?

See less See more
#2 ·
misfires can cause that, had it happen once on my Jeep, not for that long though. Pull any plugs?

#4 ·
Well, just got back from the dealer. They checked it out and no code was stored or pulled for the flashing MIL light. They checked the plugs and everything and said the car was running as it should. Really weird that light would come on and flash but not store or pull a code?!?

Guess I'll just have to wait and see if it does it again...

#5 ·
Yeah... and having a video camcorder of some kind at a hands reach to record it.
That way you can show the dealership. Having proof it happened since the On-Board Diagnostics felt it wasn't necessary for storing the code(s) / problem that caused the misfire in the first place.

#7 ·
How would I know if my cats might have been damaged from the misfire? Would the car run different or any symptoms I should be looking for or aware of?

Should I add any seafoam or lucas cleaner into the gas tank just for preventive measures?

#8 ·
If in fact the cats are toast, your PCM will throw cat efficiency codes.

Easiest way to check it yourself is to let the car get to normal operating temp, then take a temp gun and point it at the exhaust pipe directly before the cat and the exhaust pipe directly after the cat ... I think it should be around a 100* difference if everything is working properly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.