Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Installed some new brakes

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  lr9 
#1 · (Edited)
I was getting some the usual brake noise of worn down pads, so last weekend I took off the wheels and looked. My front pads were nearly gone! After only 32k miles.

Decided to put on some drilled and slotted rotors with some StopTech pads.

Very pleased with how they turned out. Worst part was getting the old rotors off. I had to run to the store to get a rubber mallet midway through the job :D

Braking is very nice and smooth. Grip is excellent. And it's nice not hearing brake noise anymore :cool:

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice..hows the stopping power compared to the stock break pads?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#3 ·
Nice..hows the stopping power compared to the stock break pads?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
So far it seems about the same, maybe slightly better. I haven't driven it much aside from bedding in the brakes. I'm really hoping for less brake dust as well. ;)

#5 ·
I also just replaced my worn out stock brakes with some Stoptech pads and R1 rotors. I just bought the Jeep a couple weeks ago with 42K and the brakes were completely shot.

However, I feel that the Stoptechs don't have near the bite of the stock Brembos. They feel like they are made of carpet compared to the worn out Brembos. Sometimes I feel like I am almost standing on the brake pedal to come to a complete stop. Maybe they will break in more. They do seem to perform better once they heat up. I don't know. Maybe I'm using too much pedal pressure but they seem to grip to a point and then slip. The Brembos just broke harder and harder.

I'm painting a bleak picture here. I will agree that they are completely silent and little/to no brake dust so far. They really aren't that bad but they do seem noticeably weaker than stock to me. Anyone else experience this with the stoptechs?

BTW, I did go out and perform the proper bedding-in procedure after I picked up the Jeep from the shop.

Brian
08 GC SRT8
99 BMW M3

#12 ·
I agree 100%. No squeal, no dust, no stop.

I also just replaced my worn out stock brakes with some Stoptech pads and R1 rotors. I just bought the Jeep a couple weeks ago with 42K and the brakes were completely shot.

However, I feel that the Stoptechs don't have near the bite of the stock Brembos. They feel like they are made of carpet compared to the worn out Brembos. Sometimes I feel like I am almost standing on the brake pedal to come to a complete stop. Maybe they will break in more. They do seem to perform better once they heat up. I don't know. Maybe I'm using too much pedal pressure but they seem to grip to a point and then slip. The Brembos just broke harder and harder.

I'm painting a bleak picture here. I will agree that they are completely silent and little/to no brake dust so far. They really aren't that bad but they do seem noticeably weaker than stock to me. Anyone else experience this with the stoptechs?

BTW, I did go out and perform the proper bedding-in procedure after I picked up the Jeep from the shop.

Brian
08 GC SRT8
99 BMW M3

#8 ·
You spelled brakes right. yea! LOL

#10 ·
Going to revisit this subject.

Recently I'm getting a fair amount of vibration only under light-medium braking. My gut tells me it's warped rotors, but I sure hope not. Just not sure what else it could be.

I just turned 43k miles, so I've only got 11k or so on these pads and rotors.

#11 ·
You have a one time warranty from R1 if you bought from them.

#14 ·
Mine are very seasoned and I haven't noticed any change...only that you get a little mores used to it.

My guess is that they would probably not fade as fast as the Brembos under certain rare circumstances , but under "normal" (for an SRT8) driving conditions, you really have to stand on the stop-techs to stop. I drive fast and brake hard.

So I'm getting getting new drilled and slotted rotors (haven't decided from whom yet) and am undecided on pads as of yet which brings us to the question I have.

Does the Brembo pad squeaking issue go away if they are paired with drilled and slotted rotors?

They work better after the rotors get seasoned a little.[/QUOTE]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.