Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Rebar is a b*tch.

10K views 70 replies 36 participants last post by  centxsrt8 
#1 ·
So I was cruising up to Austin the other day to go see my folks. Doing about 80 on the freeway and I feel a pop and flop flop flop. I immediately knew I had a blow out so I pull over and go back to inspect the tire. It is obviously flat but I cant find the hole and I dont have my little air compressor I ALWAYS keep in the jeep so I start creeping to the nearest gas station. Turns out when I get to the gas station (.5 miles up the road) their air pump is out of order. I can see an advanced autoparts and a brake place across the street so I creep there (10 MPH or lower).
When I arrive I really start examining the jeep and find that there is a perfectly circular hole in the WHEEL!
As the title states I think it was a piece of rebar in the road small enough that I couldnt see but big enough to do this. Either that or a gun shot.
I flagged a cop down during my wait in the parking lot and he said that he would bet his career as a policeman and his 10 years military service that it was a bullet hole. :eek:

Also I need some advice on where to go from here. Im not sure it is repairable but I am going to go cruise around on monday and get some opionons from wheel repair companies.

I called south point dodge, the closest dealer to me at the time and they quoted me $1900.00 for ONE new wheel. Apparently these Alcoa Forged wheels are something to be proud of.

If it isnt repairable then it looks like some satin black repros and I will be starting a for sale thread for the other three wheels.

See less See more
#33 ·
If it was a bullet, it would have had to come from the rear and roughly parallel to the ground. There's not much room between the rear fascia and the ground to allow the bullet through to the tire. A sniper crouched low? A lucky shot? Or perhaps a ricochet off the tarmac?

You are in Texas....

#34 ·
I'm going with that came from a bullet. It's just way to clean of a hole and looks slightly burnt on the edges of the hole. If it was rebar it would have to been a long piece and it would have more than likely shredded your tire or gotten stuck in the rim.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#37 ·
Why would it raise your rates...it should be like when a dog decides to run in front of you...not your fault.

#39 ·
I say take it to myth busters. Even Sherlock Holmes can't wrap his head around this one.
Product Outerwear Headgear Photography Finger

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#40 ·
#45 ·
Wait... can we see more pics?

Do you have any pictures of the damage to the tire?

How about a picture of the damage from inside the rim?

What's with all the damage below that bullet hole?

I showed the pics to a buddy and he's convinced that you got pissed and started shooting at the rim.... some bounced off, causing those marks below the bullet hole, then you stepped up the weapon and shot through.

More pics would shut him up.....

#46 ·
definitely a bullet hole, as I have made maybe a couple in my day... Looks to be high velocity and fairly close range. The clean penetration and apparent dent made after the bullet passed through the tire leads me to believe that it was a FMJ type bullet as if it was an expanding type bullet the tire could have opened it up to produce a more jagged entrance. Just my two cents. Either way, glad you are safe and thanks for sharing!

#49 ·
ha, well then enjoy that one man! Have fun and forget the stresses!

#53 ·
No didn't even call insurance. When I was on vacation my brother (without consulting me first) ordered a wheel that was $450. We did this to avoid my $500 deductible. Saved 50 bucks and didn't have to include insurance. Although if my brother would have called me first I could have gotten a wheel for half of that.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#56 ·
Ok update my brother bought a 06-07 wheel instead of an 08 and up an I can tell a difference between the Alcoa durabrite finish and just the regular polished 06-07 so hopefully skip can get me some satin black reps. If anyone needs Alcoa wheels I will have two 20x9's up for sale soon and one 20x10

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#65 ·
Don't let the cops get you man...you just murdered that bish...

#67 ·
I also wanted to add that the hole in my tire was "way beyond repairable" as said by many big name tire companies.

Took it to a used tire and wheel shop and they smacked a combo plug and patch on it, and it works great.

I immediately left the tire shop and did a few 0-60's and topped off at 90 on the freeway.

So just because tire shops don't have big enough balls to assume some liability doesn't mean it's not possible.

I'll keep you guys updated on how it holds up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.