Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Vortech V3 Base Build Questions - Kinda Long

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  MattSRT 
#1 · (Edited)
Vortech V3 Misc. Build ?'s - Gauges/Tuner/Tune/Fuel/Tranny

I am taking advantage of Demon Performance's awesome deal on some Vortech V3's and quickly went from just starting to plan a build (i.e. I knew I wanted a lot more power) to trying to cobble together my semi-complete plan in a short time now that the specific power-adder is known. I have several questions that I just sent to Skip who I know will do an awesome job of helping me given his outstanding reputation for customer service on this forum, but I figured I'd also throw it out to the community since I've been reading as many threads as I can for the past week or so and haven't necessarily located a consolidated answer. I know there are a lot of owners out there who were in my position at one point in time so I'm eager to hear from experiences...

Gauges/Pod/Tuner
First, what kind of gauge pods are available? I'd like one that matches the 2008 stock interior A-pillar so it looks factory. Are there multiple choices or even one at all? Not sure on the number of pods. There's about 4 gauges i'd like but realistically won't get at the moment (trans temp, fuel pressure, boost, and AFR). I know the AFR is the most important, but what would the second, third, and fourth most-important gauges be?

At the very least I'll get AFR. I do like the AEM Failsafe Digital AFR/boost gauge combo though.

After I get the kit I'll own two DS Predators. Should I consider ditching those for a Trinity? Regarding the DS Trinity, does it have the ability to take the place of any of these gauges full-time if mounted in a pod?

Tranny
Ideally I need my tranny to hold for one year. I just turned 70k and I changed all fluids in the vehicle except for the tranny fluid. I know I will be doing the tranny fluid and filter at the time of install, but I'm also thinking it may be good to add a tranny cooler (like a B&M SuperCooler or equivalent) and Blue Top Solenoids at the time of install. I don't want to fork out $1900 for a upgraded valvebody at this time, so that will have to wait for the full tranny upgrade. Thoughts?

Fuel
Taking into account the need for reliability of my stock tranny, there's no point in me initially pushing the boost past the base Vortech level (via pulleys/etc). Therefore, I believe I am okay at this point with the kit's supplied 52# injectors (as opposed to upgrading to 80#s). I've seen some threads that voice concern about the BAPs...should I be worried about the BAP now or only after I start going past the Vortech's base boost?

Tune
Thoughts on the base Vortech tune? I know that CMR's are always better (I have a custom tune from Johan now), but I'm wondering if the base Vortech tune will be just fine for now so I don't have to get a CMR now and then one year from now when I pick up a tranny/converter/bigger injectors/etc.

Thanks everyone, and if I left out anything that you all think I should consider please let me know.

See less See more
Reactions: GRAND_SRT
#2 ·
The trinity can take away 2 of your gauges. Specifically a/f ratio is the one I would ditch IMO. The other input is up to you. All you need is the a 0-5v signal and you can monitor anything your heart desires.

Johan can update your tune and I recommend that. The base tune is probably very rich and every Jeep is different.

I would ditch the BAP and get a dual pump from Stage 6 or Skip. Way better peace of mind

#4 ·
X2.

My GCSRT8 is a winter daily driver(summer is an '07 MSRT8) which I use on road trips for business, so I'm needing to combine serious reliability with in your face and outta my way horsepower, plus Rocky Mountains area winter driving because of living in Calgary. And a slight improvement in mileage, which seems to be an unexpected side benefit, certainly won't hurt either!

Skip has been guiding me through the process of initially looking at a ProCharger but I'm thinking that the Vortech, especially given the 'deal' available, is the way to go.

Any input, feedback, and/or experience, from Forum members on the Vortech will be invaluable.

#6 · (Edited)
Figured I'd post an update based on where I think I am at now and the research I've done since I added this post...

Gauges/Pod/Tuner
First, here's my understanding of the dual gauge pods available to us: 1) TH Motorsports A-pillar dual gauge pod; 2) Cravenspeed's FJ Cruiser steering column dual gauge pod; 3) Speedlogix sunglasses holder dual gauge pod. My thoughts...A-pillar pod is nice but not a clean match to the '08-10 interiors. Sunglass mount looks clean but I am still not sold on the location's ease-of-visibility. Steering column pod looks awesome (see First Jeep's thread...thanks to him he figured out we can make these work on '08-10 models only) and is comparable in cost ($140).

I'll be going with dual Aeroforce Interceptor black/white gauges with the polished silver bezels and white SRT logos ($420) I feel these will most closely resemble the factory gauges. They can read boost and trans temp right from the OBD port (among many other things like 0-60, 1/4mi, etc) and with a Bosch AFR sensor ($190) can read that too. I like that i'll be able to read 4 gauges at once (each gauge can display 2 parameters at any given time) right in front of me and the only capability it doesn't have that the Trinity does is the ease of data logging (prob other things the Trinity does that these gauges or my Predator won't do...but this comment is more a reference to what I would use each for).

If you're like me when you add these costs up it is "Holy $&@! $750 on gauges?" Not exactly the cost I had at the forefront of my mind and budget when planning on going FI but the reality is at a minimum I'd prob need to drop $400 to get a single gauge AFR with pod, so I might as well drop the other $350 and do it once/do it clean/do it right.

Tranny
Going to do a filter and fluid swap to Amsoil fluid ($?)...others have said they saw lower temperatures with this fluid over stock. Then going to put in Blue Tops ($?) and a Mercedes-Benz pan ($100) so that I can have a drain plug. Finally, going to add some sort of tranny cooler. Builder Bill's is nice ($240) in that it can be mounted remotely and has a fan. The stock tranny cooler would no longer be connected and I am not sure if there are any downsides to that. Cmn1 has a nice writeup on installing an Earl's tranny cooler in front of the other coolers. You can hook it up inline with the existing cooler or as the sole cooler. I read elsewhere on the LX forums that hooking it up solo lowers engine coolant temp and hooking it up inline will actually increase engine coolant temp when flogging it. Cost is about the same. Don't know how the Vortech intercooler mounting location affects or limits the ability to do the Earl's cooler setup, but if so that's another advantage to BB's remote mount. I need to do more research on other potential downsides of disconnecting the factory trans cooler and going with an independant unit.

Fuel
No f'n clue. Skip did tell me that at stock boost the BAP should be plenty and based on sigs alot of people out there are running them. I'd really like to know if there is any benefit from upgrading the pump that comes wih the vortech kit, or if the pump isn't the concern at all. More research needed.

Tune
I will definately be reaching out to the Toona again for his services. Nothing against other tuners like Jerseyboy who I know is also highly recommended. Basically, it just comes down to the fact that the customer service I received from the Johan merits repeat business.

Enough for now, hope I'm not boring anybody.

#7 ·
Thanks for your research.
Hey Scott, could you really run the Jeep with the belt off the supercharger. I didn't think you could. Doesn't the belt run your water pump as well

#8 ·
Good info on the gauges as I'm in the same boat you are! I will have to keep checking on this thread to see if my thoughts match yours...so far I'm on the same page except I would much rather have an a-pillar gauge. While I would rather have it match exactly, I will have to think about some painting otions to try and make it look cleaner because I'm not a fan of the steering column mounts. Just makes the cluster too busy IMO. Looking forward to seeing how your additions come along! Good luck!

Reactions: Injuredoften
#10 ·
You should be ok with stock tranny at 5-6lbs that the kit runs on, but also depends on your driving habits, I had a vortech and ran 8-9lbs and the tranny went quick and not a gear left in it lol, no slipping, no sign. Just lost it all lol, thank god for AAA :D

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#11 ·
My brain says I will control my right foot and save the tranny. My history says I should set some money aside. Reminds me of when I was a teenager and borrowed money from my parents for new rear tires on my Camaro since I spun em down to the belts. Two days later my dad looks at the back of the car and says "I thought we gave you money for tires?" I replied that they did and I need new tires. Suffice to say that was the first and final tire loan.

#13 ·
SHR is around $4000 or less depending on who is having a sale and Paramount is around $4850 according to the website.

#15 ·
I am taking advantage of Demon Performance's awesome deal on some Vortech V3's and quickly went from just starting to plan a build (i.e. I knew I wanted a lot more power) to trying to cobble together my semi-complete plan in a short time now that the specific power-adder is known. I have several questions that I just sent to Skip who I know will do an awesome job of helping me given his outstanding reputation for customer service on this forum, but I figured I'd also throw it out to the community since I've been reading as many threads as I can for the past week or so and haven't necessarily located a consolidated answer. I know there are a lot of owners out there who were in my position at one point in time so I'm eager to hear from experiences...

Gauges/Pod/Tuner
First, what kind of gauge pods are available? I'd like one that matches the 2008 stock interior A-pillar so it looks factory. Are there multiple choices or even one at all? Not sure on the number of pods. There's about 4 gauges i'd like but realistically won't get at the moment (trans temp, fuel pressure, boost, and AFR). I know the AFR is the most important, but what would the second, third, and fourth most-important gauges be?

At the very least I'll get AFR. I do like the AEM Failsafe Digital AFR/boost gauge combo though.

After I get the kit I'll own two DS Predators. Should I consider ditching those for a Trinity? Regarding the DS Trinity, does it have the ability to take the place of any of these gauges full-time if mounted in a pod?

Tranny
Ideally I need my tranny to hold for one year. I just turned 70k and I changed all fluids in the vehicle except for the tranny fluid. I know I will be doing the tranny fluid and filter at the time of install, but I'm also thinking it may be good to add a tranny cooler (like a B&M SuperCooler or equivalent) and Blue Top Solenoids at the time of install. I don't want to fork out $1900 for a upgraded valvebody at this time, so that will have to wait for the full tranny upgrade. Thoughts?

Fuel
Taking into account the need for reliability of my stock tranny, there's no point in me initially pushing the boost past the base Vortech level (via pulleys/etc). Therefore, I believe I am okay at this point with the kit's supplied 52# injectors (as opposed to upgrading to 80#s). I've seen some threads that voice concern about the BAPs...should I be worried about the BAP now or only after I start going past the Vortech's base boost?

Tune
Thoughts on the base Vortech tune? I know that CMR's are always better (I have a custom tune from Johan now), but I'm wondering if the base Vortech tune will be just fine for now so I don't have to get a CMR now and then one year from now when I pick up a tranny/converter/bigger injectors/etc.

Thanks everyone, and if I left out anything that you all think I should consider please let me know.

I can answer a lot of these questions for you.

I installed a Vortech V3 on my 2008 JGC SRT8 back in May 2011. I have since put on 25,000KMS on it.

First, if you are stock you will see 7-8 lbs as THAT is how much the kit makes stock with the 32 tooth pulley. Second I have been using my stock tranny this whole time and with a mild tune it was totally fine. I switched to a 30 tooth pully last summer as well and it held up okay. HOWEVER regarding the tranny YES you will need to replace it down the road. Mine is slipping and it always went into limp mode on the 3-4 shift whenever I tried out any tune that made more power. My tranny is currently failing now and it has popped out of gear a few times and refused to work until I played with it a bit, but it's days are definitely numbered I am currently in the process of getting an SHR from Skip. Hurry hurry! :grinbiginvert:
This brings me to my next point: There is a current group buy on the SHR Viking transmission (I'm in line waiting too lol) that ends at the end of January, so I suggest getting on that to save money in the future. Mind you, I did get 25,000kms out of my tranny before it became a liability but that's with a mild tune and running anywhere from 7-10lbs of boost. So it's possible but it WILL go eventually.

I am also running Autometer Cobalt gauges and they go quite nice with the factory cluster. I am only using the Kenne Bell BAP and it's been fine thus far no shortage of fuel issues but you do need a wideband gauge for sure (or a trinity I guess) to be safe.
The A-Pillar looks fine with my 08', It's not perfect but it fits great and looks fine, doesn't stand out horribly or anything.

LAFNGAS@TTC wrote "vortech was the 1st to the market and has proved itself most definetly, im just speaking as a fellow canadian with where our daily driven winter vehicles at times have to see -40*c/-40*f sometimes for weeks on end and even then the average usual temp is in the -25*c/-13*f. allowing the vehicle to idle/run for the usual 10-15mins to allow the head unit to warm up would be strongly advised and even then could take the s/c belt off probably and not worry about having to turn the supercharger at all"

I agree Vortech is great and I live in Edmonton. A lot of people seem to be very nervous about running a V3 head unit in this frozen climate.
I just want to let everyone know that this is my second ridiculously cold winter with my Vortech and it's been great. I had the same concerns as you and then "Lefty" who is in Calgary as well, runs his all year around and ensured me it would be fine. All I do is plug in when it's cold and stay out of boost until she is nice and warm just like LAFNGAS@TTC said all you have to do is give the Jeep time to warm up about 10 mins or so and no issues at all. So don't worry about that, I did not have to disconnect the blower. With just the Vortech kit installed and no other mods with a MILD tune I ran easy mid 12's and this kit should get the average guy high 11's with a serious tune so it's a great start to getting seriously fast.

Good luck with your build, if you have any other questions let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.