Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

My 3000th Post, AND A FEW PICS...

37K views 197 replies 51 participants last post by  Jack_Toepfer 
#1 · (Edited)
My 3000th post. How about that. Chris at TTC must have noticed my post count and decided to have some fun. Can't imagine why, but an impressive number of onlookers took interest. For that reason, I'll add some photos to my 3000th post to at least make it entertaining and not a total loss.

As it turns out, I am trying a new thing or two in the engine bay, Sony A55 and others at work...

Casting sig for...

a alum new block, still in the wrapper

block upskirt, nice mains...

Carillo rods

that will connect to Ross pistons

one ring to squeeze them all...

new jeep fuel hat from Fixer Dave Sawin - triple 340s, billet basket set up for a-n fittings -10 out and -6 in.

high tech fuel squirters from ID

Intermission - Tech tip - If anyone was curious about the rocker bones/head straps part numbers - 6.1 vs apache, they really are a little different...

Speaking of heads, here's the port job on some Apache heads now, with Ferrera 8mm whizbang valves to be backcut and angled, springts, retainers, keepers and guides of suitable spec. Sorry no pics yet., well, maybe one or two...

intake port

exhaust port

chamber clean up

The Techco twin screw should really like a new 4.18x bore block and ported apache heads.

Then again, maybe I could change the lungs, while the engine's out and all...

Cool gadget, but what's it for.....

To control all of this...

Twin Turbo Creations 67/66 ball bearing billet ball buster balls out Jeep turbo kit.

Coated image...

Thanks Chris, with all the success Peter is having with his kit, I am looking forward to bolting this together. The local shop may even let me turn a bolt or two on the clamps besides just holding the flashlight. ;)

Gonna need a new intake manifold...

Also had it ported and machined a beer keg intake to accept a 90mm...

and smoothed the runners and bosses so the air will flow....

Can't have cold turbos..., Chris, the coating done yet?

and I guess I'll need a new badge...

Probably need a Techco for sale thread, too.

So there's the grocery list. Been quietly accumulating for months, which has in itself been lots of fun, especially with a number of different folks competitively running low numbers with turbo kits this summer. Now am running out of things that we don't have. Once heads are completed and delivered, a turbo cam of suitable spec will be designed locally in collaboration with Cammotion. Not going in the shop just yet, first will be heading up the highway a bit to Jason Wood of Wizard Racing for some safety. Maybe its all done in time to make FL in January 2013. Or 2015 at this rate.......

See less See more
1 19
#61 ·
There's probably some flow wiz that could explain how getting all of the animal welds out of the holes actually helps flow significantly, but I dare not go all hypothetical on how much better air will flow out of the heads by eliminating a 1/4 inch of material from some of the more ample excess welds in the flanges. I'd think the crap is disruptive to whatever flows out of the exhaust port, so in my reality I choose to believe 80 hp and 20% better spooling, whoohoooo! :silly:

#62 ·
any chance you can get them extrude honed? ive got a set of stock manifolds i took a peek at and not too sure aside from gasket matching/animal weld removal if theres much more one can do

#67 ·
Those manifolds are tubular. You really don't want to make them any thinner, especially with a big inch high HP turbo motor that's going to get them really hot and crest alit of pressure in the manifolds. Just removing the weld slag will help flow and spool. How much....who knows but a 1/4 inch reduchtio in cross section is a huge impact on the total flow area.

J

#66 ·
I should have typed, that it is pulling from the tank and not the basket. If it starts popping pumps I'll know its not cooling and not working. Going to have them set up so the other pumps only come on when the psi calls for it. Calvin and "Hobbs", style, lol....Will still probably have to keep a good 1/4 tank on it. As it is now, they bent the fuel level sender arm enough so that when I have a 1/4 tank left it reads as empty. Tricks the owner into making sure that I dont' run it on fumes.

I know you meant I haven't seen it in person meaning u ;), as the pics are on my desk!

#70 ·
Oooops lol yea I* not u lol. Ah I gotcha about where it pulls from, sounds solid. I think many stock vehicles use boost triggered pumps, sounds like a good way to go. You plan on running 2 constantly and one boost triggered? May not hurt to have two going all the time since fuel pumps are rated for some ungodly amount of run time.

#68 ·
I agree. not somethng like our intakes with plenty of material and a rough cast surface. These are already very smooth on the inside and not terribly thick. The goal was to get the crap out of the port area. I measured some of the spots, easy 1/8 inch on each side, some 3/16ths, do that on both sides and you've got a good 1/4 or more of opening. That should help the hotside do its thing.

#69 ·
I always go back to Peters setup.

Arrington iron 426
Stock intake untouched
85mm Arrington throttle body
Stock untouched manifolds
Made 1191 HP and over 1000 torque at 22 psi.

Power is not the issue cause he can't run at Max(comfortable) power anyway
due to other limitations.

That being said, I believe you will make considerably more power per pound
with the bigger cubes. Looking forward to seeing you use the box with the routed edges
for more than a bench:)

#71 · (Edited)
was thinking one and then a second for 1 psi through midrage boost and a third for more than 15 psi. two switches. No need to buzz the fuel too much under normal driving conditions.

Yes those numbers are gawdy and are one of the reasons I went with your kit.

Chris what kind of heads on that motor?

The box is a great height for hand tooling on things.

#74 · (Edited)
UPS brought this yesterday. Lift in the mid 620s, duration in the 240s, reverse split on the exhaust duration for a little help with the spooling of the turbos. You tell Bob what you have and what you want, and he does some math with a pencil and calculator, and they send you a stick a week later. I hear cores are scarce these days. Also pictured are the Sport Edition F10s that will be powdercoated gloss black. M&H 275/45 DR's for these are next. Updated: black powder coating done - thanks Armadillo Coatings...

Attachments

#76 ·
very nice, cant wait to see what you throw down this summer

Reactions: junior666
#78 · (Edited)
Really Serious Set-Up you have going on!!
Got my Popcorn out !!!:popblood:

CP
CP, this is good for some cinema quality coconut oil popcorn with Sno-Caps..., free refills....

Heads done by RC and alum block work in progress by Billy Drakeford...

Attachments

#84 ·
Going with stock heads eh ;)?

#88 ·
This build thread intermission brought to you by the NFL...

A few pics from a game that was in town this weekend....:p

Rocking one of my SRT jackets.

And there's a newer head photo just to keep it on topic.

Wheels getting M&H Racemasters tomorrow....

Attachments

#89 ·
And the Sport Editions and M&H Racemasters are done. Good fitment. Powder coating looks wet. Could maybe go 285/40 18s NT05rs on the rims, but the 275/45s are about it if you're thinking of putting a drag tire on them.

Attachments

#94 ·
Those are great drag wheels for sure. Look great powdercoated also.

#95 · (Edited)
Spin cycle:roller: - done, 0 deck ..:D

Some fire gloves with a little logo love and some prototype w/i/p 6.4 rocker shaft straps for the apache heads.... and now anodized in mopar blue....

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.