Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

6.4l swap for a 06 to 10 SRT

21K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  rwcjr59 
#1 ·
I haven't seen any threads about this question. Has anyone installed a 6.4l in there 06-10 SRT. I've been told that its now possible.

#2 ·
No one that I know of has done it.... Not sure if the wiring harness would be the same for the new 6.4 liter in a 2006 to 2010 jeep...

#3 ·
They have a aftermarket wiring harness and computer. And they claim the MDS wil work also. I only ask because the 6.4l is cheaper buying it crate. But I believe after buying the harness and computer the price is almost egual to having it stroked to a 426.

#6 ·
Yup exactly what I was thinking or even upgrading a 6.1 to a 426..... Plus I thought they were saying the crank on a new 6.4 was not forged and would not be good for boost as to why they are coming out with a 6.2 liter motor....

#5 ·
Last summer I was speaking with a racing vendor and they were playing with that ideal. What was holding them back were the encryption codes. Fast forward to today ...they say that problem has been solved.

#7 ·
I'd get a 5.7 or 6.1 based 392 that has been battle tested multiple times and be fine, plus you'll have an engine built to your needs, fully forged, boostable, and highly tune-able.

Reactions: StangSlayerMA
#8 ·
^^^^ What Eric said, why get a stock crate setup when you can turn your existing stock 6.1 into a handful of different sizes built around your needs and goals. You'll be able to push big numbers with a motor built the way you want with whatever FI power combos etc rather than being stuck with a stock 6.4 that makes 50 more hp than the stock 6.1 does.

#11 ·
^^^^ What Eric said, why get a stock crate setup when you can turn your existing stock 6.1 into a handful of different sizes built around your needs and goals. You'll be able to push big numbers with a motor built the way you want with whatever FI power combos etc rather than being stuck with a stock 6.4 that makes 50 more hp than the stock 6.1 does.
^^^This. You will spend a very comparable amount of money between the two options, but the stroked 5.7/6.1 motor option will allow you to produce much greater power.

#10 · (Edited)
Do you mean put the new 6.4L in? What would be the point of that? The 6.1 can be bored out to a 6.4, 7.0, 7.2.....and has tons of aftermarket parts available. Why would you want to swap to a newer, weaker, unproven engine, that has very limited tuning, and very few performance parts available? It hasn't even been proven that the new 6.4 can safely handle boost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.