Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

WK2 Only-Ski Racks?

14K views 37 replies 9 participants last post by  loud8 
#1 ·
Does every '12 SRT8 have the plastic, flush mount "rails"? There is no way to mount anything to these rails.

They are different from the regular Grand Cherokee models. Has anyone been successful in mounting ski raks to the WK2? I am going on a week long ski trip and need these ASAP...

Thanks for your help!

Jim

#4 ·
Rocket,

All I did was take some old ski racks from an Audi Q7 and modify them to fit. I replaced the short bolts that hold down the cheap plastic rails with long bolts that went thru the ski rack base and attached them in those holes.

I even had a tapped hole on the base in which to place the bolt I took out of the roof for safe storage.

I am using them this w/e for the first time. If I come back with my skis, it was successful. Stay tuned...

I took pictures but cannot post them here?

Send me an e-mail and I'll forward them to you.

Jim

#5 ·
Thanks for the info...I figured it out, the stock rails are easily installed, all you do is screw in 2 of the torx bolts into the ends, slide it on, then screw in the 3 middle ones. It would be nice if Mopar had some instructions - - took a little thinking, but mine Mopar rails are installed.

#6 ·
^ Any pics?

Sent from my iPhone 4S

#8 ·
I have no pics handy, but it looks exactly like an SRT Grand Cherokee with a ski rack.
^ I fixed it for you lol. If you get a chance post some pics up.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

#9 ·
Here are some photos with the factory side rails and Thule Crossbars installed.

Installation while seeming straightforward is not; in order to make sure there are no leaks.

You cannot just simply screw on the factory side rails as it will leave a gap underneath which will allow water to leak down into the headliner through the screw holes (I learned this on my 2007).

There are different factory nutserts that need to be used but are impossible to change with the ones that come on the SRT8. Therefore you need to come up with a way to seal each screw hole underneath the rack itself in order to stay dry.

Now just to add the trailer hitch and harness and it will be a real truck!

Attachments

#13 ·
MRI -

Pleeease help us over at jeep garage dot com - everyone seems to think this process is impossible and you're going to drill into your airbags , yadda yadda

1) Do you mind sharing what the dealer charged on these factory side rails?
2) You still have those part numbers?
3) Can you go into a little more detail on your process please as far as installation goes and possible get us some better pictures

#11 ·
Hey I noticed the front windshield tint strip. Can I get some more pics? What % you have for it? I've been debating doing one.

Sent from my iPad 3G

#12 ·
I don't have any better photos at the moment. What I can tell you as far as the tint % is that it is the same that I used on the side windows which matches the OEM tinting in the rear.

Hope that helps.

#16 ·
#18 ·
Hi - first post to this forum - been trying to find a "genuine" solution to this issue for some time as well - even more complicated as I am in Australia and SRT and Mopar America havent bothered responding - i sent a link to the autoweek story and Mopar Australia responded that they do hav a "new" solution though I havent seen it yet. Not particularly interested in putting Grand Cherokee rails on my SRT - and have to plug holes etc whilst not being sure there are enough bolts holding it down whilst carrying, surfboards, sailboards, mountain bikes etc - skis are probably not such a big deal.

Anyway - there is a Mopar number for the racks in the autoweek article - described as being provided by Mopar /Thule - it is a roof edge grab system and is pretty chunky/ugly - though this could be a good thing as it does mean I wont leave it on the car too long between uses. It is a non standard part and NOT available through Thule dealers in Australia.

Not sure on putting up vendors web sites here -PM me if you cant find just with the part number - Google seems to pick the two places I found them. now if only they would post to Australia.

Mopar Item # TR486056

Chhers WK2SRT8OZ

#17 ·
#20 ·
Roof Racks

I have used the pinch type in the past and they have been okay - just ugly. This is probably how I will go - if I can get it rom the States - $315 plus say $100 postage. The price in Australia is $715 even though our $ is higher than yours at present........

Of course the right solution would be to have a SRT8 specific roof rack rail that could bolt on using the existing roof rail fixing points.........

What are you going to do?

#21 ·
I have used the pinch type in the past and they have been okay - just ugly. This is probably how I will go - if I can get it rom the States - $315 plus say $100 postage. The price in Australia is $715 even though our $ is higher than yours at present........

Of course the right solution would be to have a SRT8 specific roof rack rail that could bolt on using the existing roof rail fixing points.........

What are you going to do?
I was going to go that route until a user on the other forum decided to send me his oem functional rails off his overland. Once they arrrive I'm going to find either the correct tools or the correct shop capable of installing them. Considering powder coating the rails black first so they don't stick out too much.

#22 ·
There was a post on the other site about drilling extra holes, filling holes with sealant etc - which just sounded too hard - let me know how you go - my main concern with 3 sailboards on top is not peeling the roof off - I am sure all those boards and bags up there generates a fair bit of lift - especially travelling at Mach 1 SRT8 speeds ; )

#23 ·
Yep - adding the functional rails can be accomplished 2 ways. 1) Use longer bolts and utilize existing threads for the base rail. This method is sketchy because you won't have the same cargo capacity / weight limit as if it came from the factory. 2) Do it right. You have to drill new holes, then use a thread insertion tool to 'pop-in' riveted threads or threadnuts.

There is a short description of that process here:

http://wk2jeeps.com/misc/2011_wk_luggage_rack.pdf

That guide lists these tools as ones capable of being able to do that process:

1) Matco® 203F
2) Snap On® HP650M

#25 ·
the guide just describes removing and reinstallingthe rail - no mention of tapping new holes etc other than describing how tricky it is in the intro......
I know that's why this is going to suck. I'll keep you guys posted, especially for Mongoose who gave me the warm welcome here to this forum.

If anyone watching this thread is located in Chicago - let me know and we can try and link up for installation time.

#31 ·
Actually I lucked out - on the other forum a user there upgraded his OEM functional rails to aftermarket ones made by "Rack Attack" (It's a chain of stores commonly found near popular ski destinations) either way, he was nice enough to send me his

#33 ·
If I were in your shoes I would say screw the dealer and locate online -

Posted previously but search on google for these part numbers:

55079172AI (Right)
5079173AI (Left)

Those (from what I can see) should be the entire assembly - this would be "housing" which is the outter black plastic and the stainless bright rail that is the actual functional piece to this equation. If you find a place online that has a price - I would call or e-mail the website to confirm they even have it.

#34 ·
How did you get the front part on? (closet to the front of the car). I have managed to figure the rest of it out. However, the front looks like it needs a bracket of sorts. Everything on the bar goes on just fine except for the front area which seems to require a bracket of sorts. I have spoken to two dealers here and they have no clue as to what it is.

#35 ·
I have the full instruction - howto over at jeep garage I would send you the link but apparently these two forums have "beef" with each other - look me up over there, same username

but in general - that front clips on, at least I clipped it on using the same bolt not torqued down fully (just like the rear)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.