Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Transmission failure?

6K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  MattSRT 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I did plenty of searching and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.
Now I've had a Vortech supercharger on my jeep for probably about 15,000 miles now. I was told early on with the stock transmission it's not going to hold up long-term and it looks like the time has come. What do you guys think?
Here's what's happening. In the summertime I couldn't make the 3-4 shift at wide open throttle without going into limp mode. The code that I was getting that showed up said "incorrect gear ratio". I tried everything and wasn't able to get rid of it.
A couple weeks ago I was driving home and I came to a stop and I heard an audible little clunk sound and it was like the transmission just went into neutral. While still in drive it just kept freewheeling not going anywhere when I press the gas just like I was still in neutral. After popping in the park and back to drive it worked okay.
No problem since, but this morning it did the same thing only this time it would not go back into gear at all. I put it in Park in back in to drive nothing. It just revved. I then tried going into different gears and revving it up. Finally it popped into gear in second gear and started to roll forward and now all of a sudden it's kind of working again okay.
So my question is do you think this is for sure telltale that the transmission is done?
I imagine that it is but I'm just wondering if anyone else's had an issue like this popping out of gear randomly when rolling very slowly.

It's looking like I'm going to be ordering a transmission very soon and my choice is narrowed down between the Arrington Stage 4 and the SHR Viking. How everyone's experience? Recommendations? BTW I cannot afford Paramount so sadly it's not in the mix but I can swing the other two. What do you all think? My Jeep is a daily driver and I want this tranny to LAST A LONG TIME. I'm guessing the Viking is better because it can handle up to 1000HP as opposed to more like 525 to the wheels in the Jeep. With my supercharger I imagine that after it gets tuned it will be in the neighborhood already, BUT I don't plan on doing any other mods honestly.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like some interior failures starting to occur, gear teeth worn down, solenoinds getting weak etc etc. best bet is to get a fluid analysis for the time being so that you can tell if it's clutches (still drivable) or a shell fracture (could blow up at any second and leave you stranded) but yeah I'd get onto ordering up a new tranny, find a reputable rebuilder, get your old one rebuilt when it comes out, and then either flip it or keep it as a spare. You can get the tranny custom built (like my signature) for relatively cheap ( cash no receipt type deal). I'd contact the trans companies and tell them your deal and see if they can hook you up. All I can say for now man ! Lol good luck !

#4 ·
Not to jack the thread, how much boost were you pushing. I just picked up a V3 kit from Skip. have you had the stock tranny serviced before the vortech.
Definitely sounds like the tranny is giving up. At least you got 15k out of it.

#5 · (Edited)
LOL yeah I figured the same 15k miles isn't bad. I got the transmission serviced shortly after the vortech install. Once I started really tuning I had the tranny flushed, this was just this past summer. I am running the 30 tooth gear for an 8-10lb. max, or an increase of 1-2 lbs. over stock. I also have no other serious mods, just a catch can, 180 stat and DSP.
I was having tuning issues all summer with the 3-4 shift, it just constantly went into limp and after changing fluids and now this..... can't see this tranny lasting and I better just get a Viking and be done with it. That way I'll probably never need another transmission in this Jeep again.

Reactions: roadboy
#6 ·
Yeah I think I'll stick with the 32 pulley until I can get the Viking next year. Did you go straight to the 30 tooth, or run the 32 for awhile. I might invest in a valve body to preserve the stock tranny for a bit. Sorry for the questions instead of answers. Lol.

#9 ·
I stuck with the 32 tooth for a while. Switching alone got me another 1-2 mph and about 3-4 tenths.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: roadboy
#7 ·
Sorry to hear about the Tranny. I would order the SHR they have a excellent product and a service team that stands behind what they sell.

CP

#8 ·
Check out the vendor classifieds. Skip has a group buy going on for the SHR Vikings that I believe you can still get in on. It's about as cheap as a performance tranny gets.

#10 ·
Thanks man I appreciate that. I saw the group buy a few weeks back before this problem got that bad and was already looking into it anyway, but much appreciated!

#11 ·
When did you last get your transmission serviced? There might be other issues but everything you describe will happen with improper fluid level, "low" fluid level will mess up shift pressures and can cause free wheeling as you describe and awful gear changes and slipping out of gear...

When we installed my SHR Viking, the shop did not use the proper required amount of fluid with a new convertor and it pretty much behaved exactly like your Jeep on the first test drive. Took it to the dealer, had it properly scanned and checked...they topped it up and no issues after.

Again, Fluid level might not have anything to do with your issues but I would rule it out first if you haven't already before investing big money.

I looked at all the transmission options when I surpassed what the stock unit could handle and found no better deal then the SHR...Skip is the man when it comes to great deals on these!

#13 ·
I actually got the transmission service probably back in around June or so.
To be honest the reason that I went to go and have the tranny flush was because of the issues I was having with limp mode on the 3-4 shift.
I guess it's worth looking into. Is it easy to check and top up or is this another trip to the dealer?
I'm pretty certain it's the transmission I mean it's going to have to be replaced anyway and seeing how there's a sale on, one way or another I should probably get an SHR.
I don't think I'm going to touch the stage 4 because it seems to be a pretty inferior transmission when you compare the two I found. The only tranny equal or better than the SHR seems to be Paramount, which I can't afford considering the difference with the group buy price. Lets just say its more than the usual $800+ more to begin with.

#12 · (Edited)
On a side note, my stocker with blue tops handled 525-550 whrp with no issues.

It wasn't till I went to higher boost and surpassed these numbers that I needed better internals and a complete built unit.

And if you are looking at the "Arrington Stage 4", Give Bill a call before you pull the trigger on that for sure!

#14 ·
On a side note, my stocker with blue tops handled 525-550 whrp with no issues.

It wasn't till I went to higher boost and surpassed these numbers that I needed better internals and a complete built unit.

How long was the stock tranny in your jeep before you swapped it with your supercharger?
I mean I have over 25,000kms on my set up, I have no idea what my whp numbers would be but I'm sure not near 500 IMO.

#15 · (Edited)
The stocker was only in use for about 4 month's and about 12000kms supercharged at 525whrp... Blue tops were added to the stock transmission when I installed the Procharger. The transmission handled the power fine till i jumped to 600whrp.

It was the original transmission that had about 120,000kms on it and it was pretty much maxed out and getting tired. I started having a couple of issues at the same time...convertor and some 3-4th slip... Any upgrade or rebuild at my build stage would have meant a possible issue down the road so I decided to buy the SHR because more mods were in the future...

If you are supercharged on a completely stock transmission without a valebody upgrade or Blue Tops its only a matter of time...especially if you beat on it...

#16 ·
The stocker was only in use for about 4 month's and about 12000kms supercharged at 525whrp... Blue tops were added to the stock transmission when I installed the Procharger. The transmission handled the power fine till 600whrp.

It was the original transmission that had about 120,000kms on it and it was pretty much maxed out and getting tired. I started having a couple of issues at the same time...convertor and some 3-4th slip... Any upgrade or rebuild at my build stage would have meant a possible issue down the road so I decided to buy the SHR because more mods were in the future...

If you are supercharged on a completely stock transmission without a valebody upgrade or Blue Tops its only a matter of time...especially if you beat on it...
Really? I was told that blue tops were harder on the tranny because of the harder grabbing. I guess I was told some false info.

Oh well, I'm going to go with the SHR anyway.

#17 ·
Not sure if you saw this...http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71080

The Blue tops work just fine with a "stock valvebody", its a performance part Chryslar decided to change for the American market...You'll find bad reviews on these but thats usually from guys who don't give them a chance, and are completely brain washed by all the top dogs here running other "over priced options" that do the same thing...not saying anymore on that topic.

I would not jump at buying a new transmission until you know what is going on with yours...it maybe a simple issue. Not sure what type of shops you have around you so good luck with whatever you decide. If you go with the SHR you will be happy...mine is super tight and i'm happy with it...

#19 ·
That's not the problem though. Mine had about 86,000kms when the supercharger was indtalled and has about 112,000kms now.
I got the transmission flushed just ghis summer at the dealer by a mechanic that had already rebuilt a nag1 from an srt8 Jeep. He would have addressed a low fluid issue earlier.
I say this because I was having issues before the flush with limp mode on the 3-4 shift and possibly some slippage.
Now I realize you were running in all likeliness a little more power than my Vortech, but I'm certain my transmission is failing now.
I have always been unable to tune it with THE BEST tuners here (Jerseyboy & Johan etc)
Because of it always going into limp mode before AND after the transmission flush.
Got an SHR on standby just waiting until I'm allowed to pay and hoping my stock tranny holds up a few more weeks.
Either way I'll need an SHR for long term life from my daily driven Jeep.

And yes I am aware the Viking comes with blue tops.
Thanks guys

#21 ·
Well just an update now that the SHR is in the Jeep. WOW what a difference, it feels strong as hell now and shifts very aggressively, it won't take long to get used to though not for me anyway. I'm looking forward to the summer now so I can finally finish my tune and run a wot 3-4 shift without hitting limp mode.
:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.