Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

turning up boost and going to the track next month

13K views 139 replies 24 participants last post by  TTJames 
#1 ·
Well I decided to get my fuel hat from Skip so that I can turn up the boost and go she what she can do at the track next month.

I need some pointers as to should I run in 2 wheel drive or all wheel drive please? I will run on two tunes, 850 pump gas and 1000 race gas.

I have a wavetrac rear fyi, paramount tranny, etc. Should I launch at idle first and then go up to 2k next? Do I autostick it or leave in D?

anyone know where to get some race rims from? Anyone making them?

Guys with track experience please chime in!

Jim

#2 · (Edited)
I will stick with AWD for your first time out if I were you. Without knowing what to expect I think it will be safer to get used to the power with all 4 wheels. As far as race wheels go, the only options I have seen outside of the stockers are custom 18inch wheels that PeterSRT8 and BJB run or 5 spoke mustang wheels that bcm00x and JakeSRT8 run. Demon Performance was looking into producing drag wheels for our vehicles but I think that fell through. For tires I would get yourself two rear NT05rs and you are set.

As far as launching techniques go, it's all vehicle specific. Depending on what size your turbos are and what motor you have, you made need to build RPMs at the line to get them to spool faster. Most of the big hitters on here are using a 2-step to accomplish this. I am using a 2-step which sets my RPMs at 3200 and builds about 5psi at the line. I then launch at 5psi which helps me get the turbos spooling immediately.

#4 ·
I will stick with AWD for your first time out if I were you. Without knowing what to expect I think it will be safer to get used to the power with all 4 wheels. . For tires I would get yourself two rear NT05rs and you are set.

As far as launching techniques go, it's all vehicle specific. Depending on what size your turbos are and what motor you have, you made need to build RPMs at the line to get them to spool faster. Most of the big hitters on here are using a 2-step to accomplish this. I am using a 2-step which sets my RPMs at 3200 and builds about 5psi at the line. I then launch at 5psi which helps me get the turbos spooling immediately.
good suggestion on the AWD first time out! I will get that part down first, lol. I do have the NT05rs already so thats good there.

I do have a stall converter but no paramount rear, only wavetrac so I dont know what all that will handle and I really dont want to find out and pop anything. Think I will wait on the 2 step for awhile.

Should be fun, cant wait to put down the big powa soon! thanks for the input!

#6 ·
air down the tires to probably 25psi

trac control off and have gear selector in auto stick

i wouldnt worry about the rear end with the wave trac in it

go to the tree, hit the 2nd stage lights, hold brake and rev up to around 2500 rpm (if you have a converter)

on 3rd yellow let go of the brake and mash the gas pedal

see how the results are and adjust from there on

Reactions: Muellge
#13 ·
Glad to see this Jeep hitting the track , something John never did hehe , keep us posted please :)

#14 ·
Awd is your best option for all intents and purposes
2wd with all that Hp is tricky

What did it dyno.

Based on my experience. Just run it on the wastegates and take some logs. If you can, have your tuner eyeball them before upping the Boost.

Get used to the feel of the jeep before going buck wild with it.

Good luck and be safe

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#16 ·
I will let you La. guys know when Im going and please update me on something as I am not too familiar with the jeeps yet.

is auto stick Drive or is that 1st gear? I have read that my paramount tranny should shift on its own but I have not been brave enough to leave it in first and try it due to it putting down 750 awhp right now and I did not want to take a chance on it not shifting. Jeep leaned out at anything over this power level due to only have 2 walbro 255s so thats why i am getting the fuel hat, hooking up the Greddy boost controller and turning it up.

please explain what you mean by live it in auto stick. I guess you mean auto tranny which is D.

ty Jim

#17 ·
#19 ·
You should probably turn the boost controller off and just run on the wastegates at low boost until you are more comfortable with how the jeep launches and runs. Turbo jeeps are a little tricky to launch at the right rpm while being able to build boost without pushing through the brakes or bogging out of the hole.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#24 ·
Mine is an '06, and I verified it also did not have the TCM factory flash for it to autostick. I was pretty bummed when I found out after picking her up a few months ago.

But fast-forward to today, not a big deal now. Part of the mod work I have started this week is for install of a complete built Paramount setup. Bills TCMs come with autostick fully functional - along with the pin-you-in-your-seat shifting. Stoked!

Sounds like your rig might accelerate the Earth's rotation a bit when you hit the track though!

#27 · (Edited)
I was thinking of the Sport Edition F10s. I know, not a mustang wheel. Maybe a 10 inch tire would fit on it, little bulgy but just going in straigh line, 305/45 r18 would be a good match, almost same width as a 315, and about 1.5 more inches of sidewall.

James, for now, your two feet and some brake stalling should work and then adjust once you see how the track treats you.

#35 ·
Thought about widening. Might just keep all four the same and pick a tire that will work. I know I get a little less width in the rear than if I had a true 10 inch rim, but with my luck I'd end up with slightly differing tire heights from front to rear and then whoopsiedoodle, the t/c is cooked.

#40 ·
seems like plent of boosty. Each one is rated for a little over 600 hp, so you should be good to go. Size and spool speed are relative, and not sure if trim type or ball bearing or other alternatives make a difference on that turbo. I know the ball bearing upgrade on the Precision is about $900 but you get what you pay for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.