Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Transmission Control Module Bad... anyone else???

78K views 37 replies 25 participants last post by  Rkrknight 
#1 ·
Hey guys, new member here. I bought my '07 gcsrt8 in april and have loved it, until it started acting crazy lately. On the first couple of accelerations when cold(after sitting all night) it would bog out at 2500rpm and feel like the brakes grabbed then after a couple of long seconds take off like a bat out of hell down shifting hard. I got it in to the dealer today they said I had a bad transmission control module as well as a bad gear shift control module. I was wondering if any of you have heard of these problems before and are they common in gcsrt8's or am I just that lucky. Hey by the way great site keep up the good work. Hopefully I will be at a meet and greet in the chicago area come spring time.

#2 ·
Never heard of that one before

#26 · (Edited)
Same ol issues

This has happened to me four times for both with going bad..we should all get together and seek some legal action since this a very common issue and dodge/chrylser refuses to correct the issue. this is not includeing the vibration over 70mph, the alarm issue, the tire wear, electronic's, and the window issue. if you really are interested my email is thiquero_anderson@yahoo.com

#5 ·
I would also check the Electronic Shift Module (ESM). I had mine replaced and it was causing a bunch of problems and fault codes. Look at the link above and i have posted here with problems that replacing the ESM fixed. Sorry i'm on my phone and can't find posts easy. Do a quick search on the ESM and you will see a bunch. Good luck and welcome!

#6 ·
hey thanks for the advise/info. the dealer is installing a tcm(transmission control module as well as the esm(electronic shift module aka gear shift module). they stated that they are having a hard time finding the tcm, the nearest is in canada somewhere.,i'm down in chicagoland so it will be a few days before i get to drive my beloved srt8. at least the weather is nice this weekend and i can still drive my '97 conv't transam. oh and yes the srt8 will blow the doors off of the ta but you can't put the top down on the srt8 either. see ya thanks again.

#9 ·
ryan i can see you are very knowledgeable about jeeps but on the srt8 and the 5.7 hemi jeeps, the tcm is a seperate box located under the dash under behind the center stack. my 4.7 and i guess the 3.7 have the tcm as part of the PCM.

i do agreee that the esm probably is the culprit here.

#13 ·
My ESM has gone out as well, which i think is a safety problem as i try to accelerate into traffic and the engine cuts out. Has happened twice now. It really should be a recall or something but Im out of warranty so I am going to wait until it is completely worthless before i replace it. So yes its unsafe, do i really care, not that much, but im sure someone out there does so ill wait till they make a stink then capitalize.

#31 · (Edited)
I didn't care at all either, until I was overtaking a fast car at nearly 100 mph on a very busy highway and my ride shutdown completely in the left lane. The guy I overtook had to swerve off of me quickly to avoid rear ending me and damaging my entire rear end ;)

#14 ·
I have had this problem twice along with several others. In fact I think its time to start a new thread on how many problems have you had with your Jeep since owning it. I'll take the liberty to start that one.

#18 ·
My problem has never been fixed. I have had the PCM and ESM replaced. I have been to the Jeep dealership at least 6 times. I have also had an incident report done at Jeep(manufacturer) and they still couldn't figure out the problem. I told them that it is a known problem that people have and it is dangerous. If I pull out into traffic and I cannot accelerate I could be rear ended and badly hurt. They didn't seem to care.

#20 ·
I guess someone has to get hurt. Believe me, I had many conversations with my contact at Jeep about this. The problem is how could one prove it was a problem that wasn't fixed? The reason I say this is because it never registers on the computer as an error when I have the problem. It hasn't happened for about 6 months now, so it is due to happen again soon.

#22 ·
I called jeep direct and got an incident report etc. then the dealership kept my car for 3 days trying to figure it out then Jeep closed the incident report because they said the dealership couldn't get it to act up. I have had my jeep in the shop at least 6 or 7 times already in the past 2 years.

#23 ·
That really sucks! Is yours also a 2007? Did you buy it new or used? I got mine used at 52000 miles in July 2010 and didn't have the first problem until the weather changed into fall/winter here in minnesota 2010. Just wondering if it is worth my time to call Jeep? I have filed my completed at Aboutautomobile.

#24 ·
Bought mine used in 2008 with 9000 miles. Have about 57000 miles on it now. I had the problem before my warrenty ran out so I am covered. I am in MN also. Chrysler Jeep in **** Rapids is the place I have been taking mine to. Whenever I bring it there it basically shuts down their computers because it takes so long to pull up my file of problems. You could call Jeep but I don't think you are going to get anywhere with them. That is unless a bunch of us file some type of lawsuit. If someone gets it together I will be onboard.

#28 · (Edited)
Lawsuit

Look i'm trying to start a lawsuit here because after spending over a $1000 in gas during the end of February and now, i can't keep it up. this is supposed to be an enjoyment but has only been full of hassles and run arounds. i have an 2007 also and this is ridiculous. if you're interested feel free to contact me. T

O and by the way, ping the crap out of them at dodge at http://www.chryslergroupllc.com/
we all have to work together, flood their twitter and facbook pages with complaints.

#30 ·
Only if is from a close year and the gear ratio has been changed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.