Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Having Power Issues. Can't track down this Gremlin. Any ideas.

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  scrapiron7 
#1 ·
Starting to happen more frequently now. But here's the issue and it's history

About three months ago. While driving, I got the Battery icon ding on my dashboard. Pulled over checked everything out nothing out of the ordinary, Jeep still running strong. Then the key fob stopped working, it wouldn't lock, unlock or remote start the jeep. Bought new batteries for the Fobs and it worked once then nothing. Set an appointment to get everything looked at. Well they couldn't find anything wrong. Key Fobs were working fine and everything.

About a two months ago I got into the Jeep drove from my house to the exchange (three minute drive) was inside exchange about 10 minutes. Unlocked fine. Turn key. NADA..NOTHING...Radio on, all lights on dash on, but it would not crank over.

Pulled out Jumpers and it fired up with no problem jumpers were not even on for 1 minute.

About a month ago same issue as above. But the weird thing is in between issues, it fires up fine remote starts like nothing is wrong. But randomly it will do nothing.

This morning got up tried remote starting, nothing. Lights flash dash came on but when it went to crank over NADA... Put key in ignition tried to crank it over and nada...Alarm started going off (horn honking) weird....I pressed the unlock on the fob it shut off.

Put a set of cables on it and this is the first time it took about five minutes on the cables before it would finally crank over...

I am thinking it is the battery. I'm second owner of the Jeep and the battery is the originally Factory installed. So it has to be about 5 to 6 years old.

Will have to get a battery tester on it and see for sure.

Anyhow if it is the battery any suggestions for a good battery. Especially one that works well in cold weather...It was 32 this morning and in April I am moving to Virginia for more cold winters. LOL

See less See more
#4 ·
Yeah searching around on here I've read that our jeeps are pretty sensitive to older batteries and the electrical systems will freak out with low voltages or what not. Search around on here and you will find other people that had similar problems. It would def be your first attempt at a fix.

Reactions: Mister Moe
#5 ·
Some of us are going with the Optima Red Top...And few guys have went with the Duralast and its been great for them...

I really like the Optima batteries, I change all my vehicles over to these when any stock battery needs replacing and I run 3 of them (blue tops) in our boat as well. No bad experiences at all, only good things to say about them. Very reliable from my experience and they last. But like anything I'm sure there are some bad reviews out there as well.

I'm going through a battery change with my Jeep and the Optima Red Top is going in.
Price is great and its about 12- 15lbs lighter then stock battery or replacement...Not like that makes a big different but not many places to save weight on these pigs.

#10 ·
A good piece of advice for when you replace your battery is to pick up a can of disc brake quiet. Once you've cleaned the cable ends and attached to the new battery, spray down both the positive and negative clamps. I know it sounds goofy but its a great way to prevent acid build up on the posts/clamps. Been doing that for 5 years on every battery replacement and never had an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.