Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

headunit lock ups

11K views 42 replies 21 participants last post by  SHIFTN 
#1 ·
a couple of times recently mu headunit has locked up and the only remedy is to shut the jeep down for a few minutes. usually the sound is just muted while all other functionality appears to work (change audio source, stations, etc). today upon hanging up a call the screen was frozen on the end call page. nothing would clear it accept shutting down jeep and letting the power cut off (which took a few minutes). i was hesitant to walk away fearing it may just keep drawing power.

anyway, does anyone know if there are any updates or tsb's that address this? anyone having lock up issues?

#3 · (Edited)
Mine has done this twice to me. It seemed to happen when my phone was connected Bluetooth and streaming audio and then I switch the source. After changing the source is when it locked up. Everything worked just no sound. The fix was to shut the Jeep down and let the radio fully boot up, showing the Jeep logo on the nav screen. While driving and pressing the power button the radio just goes in a standby mode.

Unless it happens more often I haven't been too concerned yet. Just a minor annoyance. One time it happened when I was on a long haul highway trip. I dislike stopping for no reason. I had to find an exit to pull off and shut the Jeep down for a few minutes. No way in hell I was going to drive countless hours without tunes.

Check here for latest TSB: I don't think there is one for the Nav unit in the SRT8
http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_tsb.htm

#4 ·
This has happened a few times over the last month, where the sound goes out whether on the radio or using the nav routing. Service dept said they did an update, but on the way home the sound went out while listening to music. I pulled over, turned off/on again, but still didnt kick the sound back on again until i left it parked for a few hours and came back to it and it worked. Driving in dead silence sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#5 ·
thanks guys. seems i'm not alone in this. and yes, it's funny how it seems to die specifically when i have a hour or more drive ahead of me. so i can either drive in silence or pull over, shut down, and go get coffee and pray it comes back on.

#6 ·
mine seems to do it only when its freezing cold out in the morning and im just turning it on.

#7 ·
I guess another solution would just be to pull the fuse for the radio. The radio just needs to fully boot/power on with the Jeep logo to reset when it happens. But, usually just a couple minutes with the Jeep off works too.

#10 ·
If yours has constant issues I'd have warranty fix it. It's possible the head unit, or amp is having issues. In my case its only been twice in 20k miles of driving, so I'm not concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#11 ·
This has happened to me 4 or 5 times. It really pisses me off. I've also had where all the back speakers wont play. Uncle Sam has me deploying in 60 days so im not gonna make any changes until i get back. But i plan on changing out the Head unit and Amp to aftemarket.

#12 ·
Guys, doesn't happen to all, but from my research there is no fix but to get your unit replaced. Happened to me twice. Took it back to dealer and they told me that somehow my radio software became outdated. Only fix is to replace. Hope you still have the warranty.

#14 ·
Lock ups

Just to add to this thread. We have had ours for a week now and it has locked up for the last two days. First time it just locked up with no sound or controls. Had to shut the car down to reset. Today I had the reversing camera stay on while I drove the kids to school. Nice view but quite unnerving.

Now it is jumpy with streaming music and the iPhone cannot make calls.

Car is booked in Monday to have it looked at. Might get the Satnav checked out as well. It seems to be missing major roads that have been down for 5 years now.....!!

#15 ·
Might get the Satnav checked out as well. It seems to be missing major roads that have been down for 5 years now.....!!
I noticed this on mine too, roads missing and the points of interest seems years out of date. I checked around the internet for mygig updates and there wasn't any. The Nav must be a separate system. Let us know if you have any luck with an update.

#16 ·
Latest mygig rer update is 2.404 that you can google for.

#20 ·
I was gonna say video the problem. Good thinking :bigthumb:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#22 ·
I have been out of town for a while so finally got the Jeep back to the dealer for the second time. They kept the car for the day and then rang to say there is no fault. That was even after showing them a couple of photos of the issue. So I picked up the car and the system froze again, so I dragged them out and after some blank looks from their techs they decided to order a replacement for it. So I don't know how long that is going to take to arrive but it is finally a good start.

As for the maps update, even though it is a 2013 model there is no update for it that they know of. Apparently it is acceptable for roads and suburbs not to be included after 5 years... I'll wait until the new unit is in, to see what is out there myself.

#24 ·
Had mine replaced and has worked properly since. Demand a new head unit and tell them to stop wasting your time and man hours playing the silly mother-may-I repair a customer's $65,000 vehicle. They waste more time and create more aggravation not solving the problem the first time around. You should not be treated as though you bought an $18,000 dodge dart.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#25 ·
This has happened to mine twice over the weekend. 2014 with 586 miles. Very frustrating. Spend $70k on a vehicle and then this (not to mention the items that didn't come in with my truck that I am still waiting for - floor mats, wheel caps, licence plate bracket, chrome pedals, etc)

#26 ·
A quick update.

Took it into dealer this morning. 622 miles and have had the Jeep for exactly 15 days (and it sat for a week when I was out of town). Nav locked up 3 times in the time I have owned it.

They try a software update for the radio. It completely locks up the radio / navigation. Won't work at all. Now it will take 3-5 business days for a new one to come in. Very frustrating for a vehicle I paid over $70k for.

I am thinking I should have just spent the extra money and got an X5M or X6M.

#29 ·
Another update

They replaced the radio / nav today. Starting locking up again about 3 minutes later.

Not sure what to do here. They wanted me to bring it back but I don't want this radio to be useless before I go away for weekend.

Anyone else have theirs replaced and still having problems?

#31 ·
Prolly not many ppl with 14s that have gotten the nav replaced besides you.

That being said my audio/nav audio locked up today. Basically was on sat radio and the volume would not adjust. Tried to change audio source but sat radio kept playing. Shut jeep down for quick restart and no change. The shut jeep down and waited for power delay to cut off. Restarted and worked fine. 14 w/3k miles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.