Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

And so it continues

3K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  Tim H Calgary 
#1 ·
Keeping up with tradition I had my truck back for a whopping three days before it stopped running yet again. Truck was stone dead this morning not even a click. The interior light did have some juice so the connection is there. I just got it back from having the new dual pump fore innovations hat installed. Not sure if that had something to do with it, I assume those would only come on when it is keyed on?. As well how would I go about diagnosing battery vs alternator?

Thanks guys!

#4 ·
Easiest way to check.a battery is to take it to your local autoparts store and have them charge and load test the battery..... Just cuz a battery will show higher then 11.5 volts does not mean the battery is working, so its underload that you would know if the battery is good or not.. I would start there first....

Reactions: Tim H Calgary
#7 ·
EEEEEEE......I doubt its the battery then, but should never over look it bro.... If the battery is good then you have something drawing current while the vehicle is off......

#8 ·
I didn't start it for three days (since Monday) and my alarm (viper) does tend to drain the battery a bit but 3 days seems insignificant. I am hoping I was just a moron and left something on. I will get the AMA guy to test the battery when he comes to boost me after work. If the battery is good it goes back to the shop for trouble shooting... It's literally been there 2 and 1/2 out of the last 3 months. Very frustrating!

Thanks again guys.

#11 ·
It's getting to that point. Last 4 months consecutively I am well over 2k/month... Worst part is I only ever get 1-3 days of driving before the next disaster. Always something different, eventually I will have replaced everything lol. Very frustrating, at one point I was considering a motor swap but the way this has gone I won't be doing it. I need some downtime to restore my sanity. This is my DD so I have been without wheels for almost 3 months and I have to take time off work everytime it goes in/comes out of the shop. Getting very frustrating that's for sure. I don't know how you twin turbo/stroker guys did it lol. I anticipated a few hiccups but this is just nuts.

#12 ·
Feel your pain...when I use to do heavy mods I normally had another DD. I think the guys that have TT and big builds have great shops to take care of thier rides.

Good luck! if possible stick to one shop

#15 ·
some obdii devices, if left plugged in, drain the battery, I know my dashhawk drains a bit each day.

#18 ·
Yup I had an issue on my last car and it turned out to be the EL Scanner that I had installed.... Basically it was drawing 1/2 Amp of current when the car was off, so I called the company and talked to one of their engineers and he told me they redesigned the Scanned for the reason I was calling him about.....My battery would drain after a week of the car sitting there....

Good luck and hope you find your issue!

#17 ·
no problemo's here son, hopeully its an easy fix

#19 ·
I got boosted and ran it for about 40 mins. Killed it and it started again fine. It even started ok the next morning (only drove for 5 mins). Parked it and next day... stone dead not even an interior light or enough juice to unlock my doors lol. My alarm was installed over a year ago so it would seem odd to me that all of the sudden it starts killing my battery. It did drain a bit if I didn't start it for 5 odd days but that seems reasonable to me. I also found what I am guessing is procharger oil under the truck.. I can't win with this damn thing. Just installed the drain kit and that appears to be the culprit. Back to the shop it goes.... kill me lol.

#24 ·
If the pumps were on even after you turned the Jeep off then you would hear them.... Based on the Fuse box that came with the Fore Fuel hat it looks pretty simple..... So I assume the positive wire that went to the stock fuel hat is now your remote wire that is triggering the 2 relays that are on the small circuit board..... Take .it back to the shop that installed it and have them double check the install on the fuel hat.... No need to bust your head on theres one if you already paid for an install.... You know?

#27 ·
Sorry to hear that happening again bro. Lots of things can kill the battery in 3 days so it might not be something very serious. If you have the time you can disconnect the positive side of the battery and put an amp meter on it. If there's a significant current with the truck off start disconnecting the loads (fuel hat, alarm system) and fuses one by one until you see that current drop. That's should help isolate the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#29 ·
just a quick idea, did this happen anytime after installing your headlights as well? i ask because on my cavalier with the hids, for some reason it would do its own thing and kick the motor/ballast on for some reason and would kill the battery.

if it just started lately after the fuel hat, i would say that for some reason theres a signal/draw kicking around somewhere.

ive left my jeep for literally MONTHS on end due to work and id show up and could start it with no problem no matter how cold it had been outside.

Tim, you as well as anyone else is more than welcome by the shop or if youve got questions feel free to message/text me anytime

#30 · (Edited)
Thanks Scott, hopefully it doesn't come to that. She's going back in today. Hopefully this is the last of it! :lol:

I do have my OT2 wideband for for my AFR plugged in and I noticed it was litup when I went in the compartment under the steering wheel. I will unplug it going forward. Hilariously I also found a pair of wire strippers!. I opened it and they fell onto my foot lol...

#32 ·
Well my buddies shop tested it, the draw on the battery is normal but the battery still goes dead. Looking like a case of a bad battery. Fortunately it's only 5 months old, and under warranty :D. Kind of a pain but I will take a bad battery over a mysterious electrical gremlin anyday!.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.