Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

baking 08 projector headlights??

5K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  SRT/BLK 
#1 ·
Would it be safe?? Idk if maybe something will happen to the projector like it melting or etc?? I want to open them up just to remove the yellow reflectors then put them back together any suggustions or advise on how to do it?

#2 ·
#3 ·
If I remember correctly Dan was having problems baking the 08 and up housings. They were too brittle, thats why he was using an aftermarket housing for his at dc customs. Maybe send him a message.

#4 ·
It's not the baking, it how people shipped them. They broke in transit.

#6 ·
I did my headlights from my 07 no problem. I'm trying to do set of 08 projectors and they won't separate at all, just remove what you can from the housing and you will be fine. I believe I read it on an older thread where they changed the adhesive and its basically like RTV. Dan from DC might have been the one informing us but not 100%. So if you bake them and they don't pull apart easily don't force it because they start to crack.

#8 ·
there are two different kinds of projectors... (not speaking of the cheaper/replica projector versions though....)

to my recollection there were two different batches of glue used to seal projectors... one was clear and one was black...

i cant recall which one was the culprit but there are easier and tougher seals to begin with so the OP is correct about that....

just remove everything you can (wires boot, bulbs etc) and give it a try. remember to start prying in the areas not visible when installed.

gl-

#10 · (Edited)
08+ OEM lights have a good adhesive. We've opened up over 20 sets of them. But they are a piece of cake compared to the 2013 Mustang headlights we opened.

If you don't know what you are doing, it is easy to crack the housing where the projector is secured to it or just tear the housing. I bought some part housings for cheap to rob parts off of from people who failed at opening them. I should take a pic of the lens that still has pieces of the housing stuck to it since the housing tore before the lens released. LOL.

Good luck and may the force be with you, LOL.

I've never seen a 08+ set with clear adhesive so I have no idea if that exists if it is any easier.

#12 ·
Dont waist your time and patience IMO. Speaking from experience, I'd consider going aftermarket before attempting to rip open the OEM. Like DC said, it takes A LOT of patience and skill, and if you don't do it right you'll just have to buy new ones anyways. I tried and succeeded on the right headlight when installing my halos, but it looked like a gerbil went crazy on the edges and I was worried about it not sealing properly when putting it back together. The adhesive on 08+ don't really loosen with heat. So I just went with the AM ones and wow they were a piece of cake with a little heat from a heat gun. I wouldn't necessarily use a oven. Mine worked fine with just the heat gun and a flat head. Good luck hope this was helpful.

Attachments

#17 ·
Ok so just a little heads up. 12 mins at 350* equals a melted/flattened lens. The projector lens is fine, I mean the entire clear lens is now flat. Not sure if you had yours (jptaylor) flat but thats how I had mine. Not a huge deal to me because these are just a set I have laying around. Just to warn you, I dont want you to ruin yours Darknight.

#19 ·
Oh the housing is so soft I can basically push a flat head screwdriver through the plastic as I try to split it. And the adhesive is still semi-solid. I am running the screwdriver around the perimeter and it is flaking apart and making a mess. These lights will NOT split easily.

#22 ·
Yeah I'd love to go AM but they are expensive for my project thats basically a trial and error. Dont want to ruin $600 worth of headlights. If I can get it to work Ill post pics, if not, we might be in touch DC.

#23 ·
yeah, 350* is some serious heat...i knew at 325* that i was right on the razors edge of opening the oven to find a clear and black puddle of plastic....that adhesive is from A.C.M.E. or someplace only cartoons have access to(however i do like the idea of dropping your order in the mailbox and then the delivery man pulls up with package)....i dont thing that my lights ever got up to 325* though...as i said in the other post i started low temp then worked the temp up until i saw the adhesive start to sweat but i was only leaving them in the oven for maybe 2min before id pull them back out and give them a look so im sure they never saw 325*.....Dan and I had some back and forth about the temps when i did mine originally and we both knew that the threshhold was being pushed with what i had to do to get mine to open up....if i didnt already spend all my money on cheap liquor and women then waste the rest id have ordered a set from DC no questions asked.

#24 ·
The adhesive on the set I have never even let loose. If I needed the 08 housing I'd be screwed. I was going nuts trying to open them and they are trash now. And I'm right with you, his works sick, just have to save what cash I have left for other jeep parts right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.