Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Building Bella_SRT8 - Single Turbo Build

54K views 341 replies 55 participants last post by  SYCK SRT 
#1 · (Edited)
So my wife, Navil, is not very familiar with how to post on here yet, so until she gets the hang of it i thought i would get the build progress started. To start with a little background on the car purchase

It is a 2008 Black SRT8 and we purchased it in the begining of september 2012 with about 32000 miles on it. The car is Completely stock as of right now. My wife has wanted this car ever since she got a good look at one (thank you scott! aka hemi_time) Anyways, She purchased a 2010 scion in february of 2010 and HATED it. All she ever did was look at the SRT8's and after a little bit of saving up, we were able to trade in her scion and my 2011 yamaha stryker cruise :-( to get her dream truck. Now she has her baby and i told her she can do whatever she wants to it, leave it stock or build it up its her truck, so she can do what she wants. This is the day we picked it up and thats her standing by the truck.

THE DAY WE BROUGHT HER HOME.

HOW SHE LOOKS TODAY

So I am a speed freak and love racing. I go just about every weekend that i can and i think it is rubbing off on my wife now. I had a track outing with a camaro club and they welcomed my wife with her jeep there. So we took a trip up to byron, with a little bit of peer pressure from the group she made her first trip down the 1/4 mile... and thats when the itch set in. Her first pass was a 13.3 @ 98 mph with a 1.86 60ft. She loved it soo much she went down a second time with about the same results. About a month later i took one last trip out to GLD to attemp my new personal best, and orginally took the truck to look my tools and equipment for my car. Well the itch came back because there was a fellow group of SRT8 rigs there so she wanted to see what she could do. After playing with traction control and showing her hot to rev it up a little bit while launching, she pulled out a 13.12 @ 101 mph with a 1.83 60ft. She kept trying and trying and all she said she wanted was a 12 second pass.

Now after watching, hearing, and talking to others with faster jeeps, she has set a goal for herself to be one of the fastest female SRT8 drivers and she wants to turbo the truck. So coming up this year it is a good possibility that her truck will be fed some boost.

now that is the ultimate goal so i will continue to update this thread on her progress and what she achieves over time. She also wanted me to post that any and all donations to help her become the "fastest SRT8 chick" are welcome. I will also keep track of all current mods and future mods as well

Current mods:
window tint 35%front/ 5% back
Black powder coated wheels w/ pink lug nuts
tinted tailights and rear fog lights
Trinity install and tune
Electric cutouts (DMH) and center muffler delete

long term mods: Goal 500-550whp/tq
Precision PT7675 CEA Turbo - T4.96ar exhaust housing
80lb Siemens injectors
50.5mm Tial "Q" BOV
Precision 46mm wastegate - 5 psi springs to start
AEM Failsafe Wideband
AEM meth/water injection
In tank Walbro 405lph pump
3.5"inch front mounted intercooler

Very long term:
Upgraded drivetrain including trans, TC , Rear end
Forged (possibly stroked) engine build
More boost
2 step (when she is more comfortable racing)
More to come!

any and all feedback will be welcome as this is my first journey with this type of vehicle so i will be seeking what is the best route and what to look for. Thanks everyone and look forward to the results!!! I will update as progress moves on!

See less See more
1 6
#4 ·
Thank you much! from the plans i have it looks like it will be a similiar setup to yours. Hows lag with the 88mm?

You can get 500rwhp with an NA 426, then throw some spray at it on the track. Beautiful truck and best of luck with it. Get a trinity and a CMR tune from Joel or Johan now. :)
The rest of that list can be taken care of with a trip to Stage6 for the turbo or some of us local guys for a stroker.
appreciate the suggestion. Due to it being her daily driver, i want to avoid taking apart the engine as much as possible and she asked specifically for a turbo lol. My car on the other hand i will be forging and stroking mine in addition to the twin turbo setup, but i would like to keep hers stock. I dont want to give her too much power at first. The turbo kit will be built by the shop that has done all the work on my cars including fabbing up the twin turbo kit i have on my camaro.

from what i am seeing there arent many shops that tune these beasts near chicagoland so when that time comes i will be reaching out to one of them for the tune.

#3 · (Edited)
You can get 500rwhp with an NA 426, then throw some spray at it on the track. Beautiful truck and best of luck with it. Get a trinity and a CMR tune from Joel or Johan now. :)
The rest of that list can be taken care of with a trip to Stage6 for the turbo or some of us local guys for a stroker.

#5 ·
Looking forward to seeing your wife go faster in the Beast!! Now as far as local tuners there is Tim Barth @ Mr. Norms, if not Jerseyboy in Michigan.... Also like Ekaz said Johan or Jerseyboy can tune as well via email..... Well hope to see you guys more often at the track this coming year!

#7 ·
Thanks man, I will keep them in mind. And yes we will be spending a lot of time at the track i forsee as now both of us have goals we are trying to reach. I might be putting some of my mods on hold to allow my wife to play catchup. So we will see!

#10 ·
Looking forward to seeing your wife go faster in the Beast!! Now as far as local tuners there is Tim Barth @ Mr. Norms, if not Jerseyboy in Michigan.... Also like Ekaz said Johan or Jerseyboy can tune as well via email..... Well hope to see you guys more often at the track this coming year!
Is Tim still tuning and Mr. Norms still around? Last I heard Tim was ModularPowerHouse now. Unless he is doing both or neither or what I heard wasn't true. :confused: But I think I read it on the internet, so it much be true. :p

#19 · (Edited)
Thanks!

That sounds like an awesome list of mods. Good luck with all of it. She will most definitely enjoy that jeep.
Appreciate it! so far she is loving it and so am i! much better than a scion tc.

Congrats on the new ride!
Thanks! Looks like I will be seeking advice from you as well! very nice build!

Everyone here has been great.I Like the energy and enthusiasm on this forum. A little different then others i have been on!

Reactions: mondo
#21 ·
Don't buy Stillen covers. You are local so have DC Customs paint you a set of headlights.

Reactions: DCSpecial
#23 ·
yes please, those are nice! got a name of who i can PM to make that happen? I appreciate it.

#29 ·
Thank you and you are so right on that. Then again isn't that the case with any modern monster. Haha

Hey without risk there is no reward.

And I have a shop that sponsors me, so they will be doing the fabrication. Its local and Its the place that built, installed, and maintains my car now. Thank You again though.

#30 ·
How would a 88MM Turbo work on a forged 6.1 built for boost Harrison? Would there still be too much lag?

Reactions: MRWANG
#33 · (Edited)
Well i can speak from experience of the turbos with my car, but supporting mods will be the same regardless of turbo or blower. You will be forcing more air into the engine, so you would need to increase the amount of fuel and tuning as well.

It is also dependent on what your goals are too... if you only planning on pushing 4-5psi of boost into the engine, you might be able to get away with a KB boost a pump or similiar setup with a slight upgrade injector size. But if you want lets say 10psi of boost, it is safer to swap upgrade fuel pumps and go with a bigger set of injectors.

The biggest difference between blowers and turbos are the efficiency of each setup. You will usually see higher gains from a turbo vs a blower on the same psi. This is the NORMAL case. there are always exceptions. But i know individuals running 10psi out of their blowers producing 550whp and i am pushing 8psi and have dynoed more then 600whp.

**just want to make clear i am speaking from past experiences with previous vehicles and my current vehicles- have not yet boosted the SRT8**

#34 · (Edited)
Yeah I was referring to drivetrain and valve train. I have multiple twin turbo diesels , one making 775/1500 tq with pte 76mm over a Pte 63mm. It'll make 1100 on the juice. The other is a triple turbo setup with a pte 106 over a pte 82mm over a pte 66mm , triple compounded making 1200+ at low boost (100 psi). Just wondering about trans and valve float. Figured a blower would be easy 525 at the wheels and a lot less headache. For big power I will always choose turbo power.

#35 ·
ah gotcha, as far as drivetrain i will let others chime in when it comes to the SRT8. Because i will be curious on that as well.

My guess is the drivetrain and valve train would be very capable of handling up to about 550whp.

anything over that i would think the weak point would be the Transfer Case. i also do know a member on here just recently ordered a trans because his was not holiding up to a procharger D1 kit. But he had over 100k miles i believe.

#37 ·
haha just told my wife you said this and she said YAY! i made a good choice. lol.

#39 ·
haha thanks man! And yes the 3 year journey has had its sets of ups and downs. Just glad i got it back and can finish what i started.

#40 ·
I would get a set of blue top solenoids or a valvebody for the trans at least. A trans upgrade is inevitable, either one of those will buy you some time.

Reactions: 1 person
#42 ·
Appreciate the advice, i will look into this. The transmission is always the weak point in
builds, so any little thing to help it last would be nice.

Welcome and good luck the build! You will have no regrets going with the single 76MM Turbo. Looking forward to reading up on yours and your wife's progress with this build.
Thanks! looks like your running exactly what she wanted to run. How much boost do you run for street trim? And did you install a meth/water injection?

#41 ·
Welcome and good luck the build! You will have no regrets going with the single 76MM Turbo. Looking forward to reading up on yours and your wife's progress with this build.

#43 ·
Thanks! looks like your running exactly what she wanted to run. How much boost do you run for street trim? And did you install a meth/water injection?[/QUOTE]

On the street currently running about 7 lbs on Stock Block and Stock Tranny. Not a daily driver however so I'm not beating on her day in and day out with the stock set up on 7lbs. No water/meth just a big ol intercooler supplied by Stage 6 with the Turbo kit they installed for me. I believe they sell that intercooler on it's own if you were interested just hit up Harrison. Not a lot of guys on here running water/meth and off the top of my head the only guys who are I believe are all supercharged Jeeps. A lot of great people on the forum so any questions you have just ask away and they will be answered though it looks like you are on the right track already!!

#44 ·
Awesome! Thanks for the info. So far everyone has been great i am very impressed with the crowd. even talked to the wife about possibly trading mine in for a jeep haha. Who knows. The wife doesnt beat the snot out of the car like i would as a daily driver so i am hoping the trans can last the few trips at the track for her.

We will be adding meth purely as a safty setup for the pistons. Really helps cool everything internally and cleans everything up. I dont tune for it to gain maximum benefit, just more of a way to protect everything a little bit. Even though i picked up about 60-70whp purely by adding it without a tune.

#46 ·
haha do you know how tempting that is? the fact alone i can not drive my car in the winter and the constant battle for traction. That would all be gone.

But we will take it one step at a time. At least i have one to play with now... we will see what the future holds

#48 ·
She said she likes it. PM sent back. Thanks!

#50 ·
Loving it is an understatement. She has been talking about this truck for over 3 years now. Never thought she was going to actually own one. Now that she does she is finally getting into "modding"

She was asking what a turbo/supercharger would do for her times and i told her she might be able to run mid to high 11's... She wasnt happy and informed me she wants to run 9's haha... looks like i might have to see if John wants to trade for a stocker. haha

#53 ·
Hey everyone, Just wanted to update everyone.

I wanted to say thanks to Skip for putting up with all my questions. He has been awesome with support when it comes to parts and recommendations.

But we will be installing her cutoffs within the next couple of days. I know everyone has seen several videos and clips of it but thats our current progress. We are waiting until after our event at world of wheels to start the building process. I have taken the advice of many and will be tossing on a single precision 7675cea Ball bearing turbo.

couple things we are still trying to decide is if we should go with a 3.5" or 4.0" downpipe into the exhaust. I feel the 3.5" inch will be good for up to about 600-650whp. Which is plenty for now until we build the motor where we can swap out for a 4". So curious on what others have used and what results you saw with this engine layout.

Other thing i am stuck on is fuel pump upgrade. I have a BAP i will be taking off my car as i am upgrade my complete fuel system so i can toss this on her car, but i was curious on what the recommended fuel pump setup is for the jeeps. Preferably a drop in type setup. Thanks again everyone for the help!

#55 ·
appreciate that. I will be bothering skip again looks like haha

well we got the cutoffs installed on the SRT8 over the weekend. Total difference in sound, and didnt know any drop in performance yet. We will see at the track soon enough.

I do have to say that it sounds pretty good for a stock exhaust. Usually when you take the mufflers off it sounds like crap but its not bad at all. Guess what happens when you have 4 cats on the car. I will post up videos and pictures as soon as weather permits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.