Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squires Turbo Systems

11K views 87 replies 25 participants last post by  Rambit 
#1 ·
So I'm giving serious consideration to putting some extra air into my 6.1, and have been looking seriously at the ProCharger Midnight Edition, but I keep coming back to turbos as an option.

The last post I could find on the forum about Squires was over 3 1/2 years ago. Has anyone had any indepth, and fairly recent experience with STS?

If so, any information that can be provided will be greatly appreciated, good, bad, or indifferent.

#2 ·
DONT DO IT... just go to stage 6

Reactions: TheBRICK
#5 ·
Buddy had it for 1 month in the shop the whole time blew turbo blah blah bah STAGE 6!

#6 ·
My opinion is bias, but Stage 6 all the way! STS can't touch their kits. The power difference is huge!

#7 ·
Bad quality, poor design, weak turbo, etc.

The STS kit was one of the first in the game, fortunately for us there are so many other great options out there now.

Check out the custom Whipple kit SRTJAKE has for sale, can't beat the price. But If you are dead set on a turbo then go S6 or TTC.

#8 ·
The sts kit was poorly engineered.
That being said, Chris Bronkie was the first jeep in the 9s and did so with rear mount turbos.

Like others have asked, it depends on your end goals.

Stage 6's kit speaks for itself and has the timeslips to back it up.

Twin turbo creations kit (which is what I have) is also well made and put s jeeps in the 9s. Petersrt8 has a ttc kit on his 9.0sec jeep

Ttc is a little more involved and costs more. It s better if you want the stealth look which is what I wanted. The shop was also very close to my house so I didn't have to ship my car.

Stage 6 is a little easier on the wallet and top notch work as well. You also
Get the BOOYA!!! Opportunity when you pop the hood.
And you can harass Harrison 24/7 :)

Can't go wrong with either one :)

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#10 ·
gonna ask here, so everyone who posted, who has FIRST HAND experience with the STS kit?

i personally have a TTC kit and couldnt be happier, Stage 6 also hands down builds a good quality kit and would never say different.

we've done in house 4 vettes, many gmc suvs/trucks, F150 limited (business partners), and built a remote style on a 1st design 3.8 V6 hyundai genesis coupe (6psi made 430whp, great powerband and retarded fun to drive)

aside from juans (F150 limited) the kits were on, performed flawlessly, made big power and were overall quality pieces that did exactly what they stated.

juans F150 problem was that it wasnt fully released yet and pushed for them to send us the kit and just the wiring harness had some quirks however when they sent the new harness things were 100% as they shouldve been.

as stated the first jeep in the 9's was a remote style setup and the remote style does work. the TTC kits might as well be considered remote cause with where the turbo's sit they have the same amount of piping distance between them and theyre close to running high 8's (PeterSRT8)

#11 ·
I know a guy with a GTO that has a STS kit and hates it.

A shop local to me installed 2 STS kits on Jeep's a few years back, when I was having my Vortech installed they told me the kits were the biggest POS they have ever installed. Said both Jeep had nothing but issues.

There are so many options in the same price range that have great reviews, i.e. Vortech, Procharger, etc.

My question for you is, since you have had so many wonderful experiences with the STS kits, why did you go with a TTC kit? Or did you just feel like spending an extra $7,000+

#15 ·
i spent the $ on a quality product that was going to do what my long term goals were and i felt a single wouldnt give me the same street manners as a twin setup. trying to compare a twin to single on merely price point is ridiculous and "cool" factor is beside the point. never have had an issue with any of the support needed between TTC/Stage 6/STS.

kits come ceramic coated for all pipes/intercooled/fueling and everything is there.

for someone wanting to make 550whp and drive around and have a turbo in lieu of the supercharger applications, the STS does what it needs to do for a decent price. with the amount of procharger guys having issues with belt slippage/belts breaking theres one less thing to worry about. smoking turbo issues generally can be taken care of using a little vac manifold resembling piece of 1" tube to help collect oil from the drain side of the turbo

wondering how the power curve of the singles looks if the twin setup on same boost levels/same displacement were overlapped

im not trying to argue, just dont see how theyre instantly garbage when people havent personally had them and thats the question i asked.

if anyone is kicking around alberta and is curious on drivability on an remote setup, we have our customers genesis in the shop for a clutch and other work done for the winter months and be more than happy to show you

#21 ·
with the amount of procharger guys having issues with belt slippage/belts breaking
I mean you come in here defending STS kits and saying we're bashing them or haven't had any experience and then throw this out.:rolleyes: This problem has been corrected and just like any kit that just hits the market you will have issues.. The manufacture will learn, adjust what they need to and help correct the problem with the already issued....

#17 ·
I had over 18k miles on my sts gto kit. I had no major issues with it and made great power. I went with a Maggie for the jeep because I wanted instant torque for my daily driver. Most people seem to think cause one person has a problem with a kit it's junk. A previous post mentions junk turbos, so Garett is junk. Ok I'll keep that in mind.

#18 ·
I had over 18k miles on my sts gto kit. I had no major issues with it and made great power. I went with a Maggie for the jeep because I wanted instant torque for my daily driver. Most people seem to think cause one person has a problem with a kit it's junk. A previous post mentions junk turbos, so Garett is junk. Ok I'll keep that in mind.
for the jeep along with some other kits they use proprietary Precision turbos so that means that STS/Stage 6/TTC are all powered by junk ;)

#19 ·
The difference is that the Stage 6 and TTC setups are engineered specifically for the Jeep SRT. It's not a mass produced "kit" that is made for 1000's of cars. You get what you pay for!

Chris

#20 · (Edited)
The difference is that the Stage 6 and TTC setups are engineered specifically for the Jeep SRT. It's not a mass produced "kit" that is made for 1000's of cars. You get what you pay for!
Chris
Not really following what you're getting at? Sounds like you're saying a STS kit is made for 1000's of cars, so if that's the case you don't need a vehicle specific kit. All turbo setups are "engineered" more or less cause they end up being application specific, in the end its all the same parts "turbo/wastegate/bov/piping" what's less engineered per manufacturer? Mass produced = ability to do volume of sales which in turn makes $ and keeps the doors open and economies strive on.

I'm not saying one manufacturers kit is better than anothers, in the end it all depends on a persons budget/goals and their preference on a supercharger vs turbo

#24 · (Edited)
MLB - You need to get seriously specific about what your goals are for the truck. Do want to invest another $20k on top of the turbo purchase to take advantage of the power available to you with turbos? -OR - Do you want to run ~10psi for the life of the vehicle knowing you'll likely need a transmission upgrade in the future but otherwise the truck will run every day with no problems and no additional cost?

We can throw vendors and turbo theory at you all day but without knowing what your goals are, we'll never be able to put you where you need to be. If you have a $6k budget and that includes install... you're looking at STS or a blower. No other options. If you have $20k to spend, that puts you in a completely different ballpark.

I'll just throw this out there...

I don't know where you live, but -

$9k - Single Turbo - Stage6 requires your vehicle in Florida for x amount of time to complete your truck. You will be very pleased with the results like everyone has been. Custom kit for your truck, built to your liking and tuned by one of the best. Customer support (as seen on this forum) appears to be top notch. All the power you'll ever want or need.

$12k - Twin Turbo - TTC was making kits for the truck to ship out. I know of 3 (there are probably more) that have shipped to customers, and 2 of them installed it themselves. I can tell you this, the install is more involved than what some people are comfortable with, but not so much that a local performance shop wouldn't be able to handle in a couple days. TTC will take your vehicle for x amount of time and build your kit on your truck to your liking in NYC. You will be very pleased with the results like everyone on here has been, their customer support is great (as also documented on this site) and you'll be tuned by one of the best there as well. Your truck will be given back to you making all of the power it can on the parts you have.

$??k - King Motorsports - Not leaving Brad off the list because I'm a huge fan of his work but I'm not sure if they are a supporting vendor or not. I don't know the cost because none of it has been made public on the site. Plenty of guys on here are running King builds, feel free to ask around to the guys who own the trucks, and not the people who think they know everything about the trucks.

Any one of the vendors on this site will build you whatever you want, for the right money. Those prices above are their bottom dollar, you won't get them any cheaper (without some negotiating)... but you'll end up with a quality product and nobody on here will bash you for it.

Now, STS on the other hand... you give them $6k (or so I've heard) and they will send you everything you need in a box to your door. You could have it installed in a day with basic hand tools and basic mechanical knowledge. Tons of local shops install these things all the time. Remote mounting can be problematic due to the placement of the air filter, but that depends on where and when you drive and if you're cautious. You can always relocate the filter if need be. There is tons of flexibility in a remote mount setup. This kit will make enough power to break parts but certainly not enough to break records. Some might say there are more things that could go wrong with a remote mount... the only thing different is the oil pump, and they don't fail all that often anymore and have built in alarms in the event that they do fail. You're cats remain intact and you'll pass inspection anywhere, anytime. Your customer service is now in the hands of an international company that makes kits for dozens of vehicles. I don't know if that is good or bad because I haven't dealt with anyone beyond the sales dept. The tune they send you is probably ok. I'd prefer setting some money aside for a tune from one of the guys on here. Get a complete list of parts from STS to make sure they have fuel and spark plugs addressed... do the same for our vendors here.

#29 ·
Yup. A lot of info
Having run pretty much the whole gamut at this point. I say run a blower, make your 525whp and be done with it
Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
I'm with you on this. I think a procharger D-1 full kit will be more than enough for the OP. Dont get me wrong Stage 6 does nothing but the best work, but it seems it may be more than what the OP is looking for.

As others have mentioned don't forget to add the cost of a transmission to that at some point and possibly a fuel hat upgrade if needed. I have not seen any belt slipping in my rig or tearing of any belts for that matter. Making a universal kit has its challenges.

#31 · (Edited)
STS only offers a single turbo kit and is more designed for a stock engine guy looking for that turbo sound and an extra 120+ hp. Stage6, TTC and KM are for those who are going to or have forged motors looking for more power. Mine was a custom rear mount system and not an STS kit but used their small T60-1 turbos. Not bad for such small turbos, limited tuning and after markets parts to run 9's way back in 2010.

#32 ·
Not necessarily Chris..... we have quite a few stock bottom end Jeeps out there running 10's. ;)

#36 ·
By the time you're into an STS kit with tuning, fuel, gauges, injectors, installation..... you're basically at our $9K installed price. ;) I understand what you're saying Chris, but you know damn well as I do NO ONE EVER stops there. They always want more.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
So ok your back to supporting my orginal post. STS is a kit and comes with everthing needed to add 130+hp. If you want more, as I explained, you go to the other guys.

#34 ·
By the time you're into an STS kit with tuning, fuel, gauges, injectors, installation..... you're basically at our $9K installed price. ;) I understand what you're saying Chris, but you know damn well as I do NO ONE EVER stops there. They always want more.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#35 ·
It's called an addiction! Hi, my name is Mike and I have a problem. I smoke too many street cars in my off time!

#45 ·
I have spent a lot of time on the internet looking at the sts systems. Lots of forums as well. There are a lot of happy customers, especially f-body and corvettes. There are limitations. Chris is right, if all you want is 130+ HP, it works. Not a lot on hemis though. The thought of having the air filters down there scares the sh!t out of me though. 5 pound of boosted air is cool, 5 pounds of boosted water not so much or cruded up filters from our crumby weather here. I still think I would and probably will save the extra scratch for a custom built system to satisfy what I want. The vendors on this forum are proven and I do think you get what you pay for.

#47 ·
This only recently came on the market. I stopped looking in June when I decided to build my own. I would have bought this in June had I had the chance.

Historically speaking, like since I bought the truck, you could search high and low for turbo + Jeep SRT8 and come up empty handed. Even YouTube is lacking in the STS dept for our trucks. So there just aren't that many out there on the Internet for sale or otherwise.

Thanks for pointing that auction out for me though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.