Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

TCM problem perhaps?

8K views 36 replies 7 participants last post by  Dave_MacKinnon 
#1 ·
Thought I had given up on this issue, until it decided to rear its ugly face again today............I recently had my ESM module and shifter assembly replaced due to the fact that my truck had been shifting too soon to the next gear and falling on its face with the shifts, which Im not used to, being that I have Johan's tune and it keeps the shifts very firm and hard (which I like)...........dealer ran the codes and that part popped up faulty, so I replaced it to no avail - full cost out of pocket, no warranty:(................well today, as I was merging onto the interstate, I got caught behind a slow accelerating dumptruck, once the pass lane opened up, i was around 60mph at the time, I didnt punch it, but gave it enough throttle to kick down to pass the truck, and it absolutely WOULD NOT accelerate or increase RPM one bit for approximately 5-10secs, which surprised the hell out of me of course and caught me off guard, it held at the speed and RPM I was at instead, so I completely backed out of the throttle, I was kinda scared to get back into it, but I did and it picked right back up. Took it immediately to the dealer and of course, with my luck, they didnt read one single code. So now that I have replaced the ESM module, and the dealer is reading absolutely no codes, where do I go from here? I spoke with Bill about possible TCM issues and potentially replacing that, but dont wanna replace another part that isnt broken like the dealer screwed me over with that ESM module install. Just a confused and concerned Jeep owner with no idea where to go next.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll have to look for the thread, but there was a guy on LXF having the same issue. I don't recall what came of it though. I'll see if I can find it.

Reactions: hotrodcalvert
#4 ·
#5 ·
Yea it sounds like it, aside from the fact that mine has been falling on its face on the shifts for months now, and Im afraid to keep driving it in fear of tearing up something in the tranny, because when it shifts, its not letting the RPM's rise to the proper point when shifting to the next gear, it shifts too soon, and the RPM's just tank and you can tell the tranny kinda bogs from having to pull up from that low RPM in that gear.

#7 · (Edited)
Ok I don't have much experience with this but I believe it has to do with the communication between the PCM and the TCM so I would try swapping those out with new/reformatted ones and seeing if that makes a difference. Some time ago, when I first got my Jeep, I floored it on the highway before I knew of the ESM cleaning issue and the Jeep just shut down, which was quite scary. I then learned of the ESM cleaning issue but never cleaned it. A few months ago, I had swapped out my TCM from Bill's one to the Stock one when I went to put in my Backup PCM in. When I drove that day, the vehicle would not let me go past 45 mph no matter how hard I floored it. When I got by the shop, to format my backup PCM, and swap it out with my main PCM, everything went back working fine. Now as a precaution, I have also cleaned my ESM, but what I do know, is that there needs to be clear communication between those three devices as they can cause you lots of problems and even cause you to believe something is wrong with your engine or your transmission etc I also have three different TCM's that I can swap out but none of them have ever given me any issues!

#8 ·
Have you tried to reset the adaptives on your Rig and is your TCM set to 3.73 Axel Ratio? What TCM are you running stock or MPTCM, or PTCM?

#10 ·
Oh ok..... Try a Mopar TCM and see how it reacts... Maybe a local member can borrow you one or let you try it for a bit...

#13 ·
I would only swap with another Jeep SRT 8 regardless of the year....

#12 · (Edited)
No, but there may be other programming things that may need doing to it, so using one for a jeep srt8 would be the best option. Don't have my notes but I believe if yours is an '06 then use egs52(stock one)/egs53(mopar one and '07 and up) TCM should work with changed axle ratio to 3.73, and when swapping the PCM use P05030062AC formatted for jeep srt8 or reformat yours similarly and reload tune. Other members can chime in to verify the unit numbers.

#15 ·
If anybody had one laying around, I would pay for shipping and pay you for your time getting it to the post office, all I wanna do is install it, to see if it is the problem, I would then promptly remove it and send it right back to you.

#20 ·
i recently had a similar problem with my jeep. i tried pulling out of my street, and when i pressed on the gas, it wouldnt move. i floored it, and it finally reacted, but the second it hit the rev limiter, i hit limp mode. i have the mopar tcm, but i was in regular drive mode. pulled the code and got p0219, engine overspeed. i reloaded my tune and everything has been fine. im guessing weird stuff like this is sort of common at least with the mopar tcm? due to the fact its not meant for our rigs?

#21 ·
Yes, just as I have mentioned earlier on in this thread, changing TCM's can apparently corrupt the PCM. When the PCM is reformatted in some way, everything can be fine unless there is a major/minor mechanical issue going on, as the PCM is really the actual brains of the vehicle. TCM's can give trouble as well, and of course ESM's, due to being dirty, but in my experience, a corrupted PCM can be a very bad thing!

#23 ·
Hey guys.. I have a 2007 SRT with similar problems.. I'll be pulling away from a light at light throttle (yes, that happens!) or cruising on the highway and I will loose throttle response for a few seconds. I also noticed the transmission looses torque converter lockup.. I used to get a CEL on the dash.. I have since done some massive grounding upgrades under the hood to finalize the foundation for a big audio system upgrade.. Now, I don't get the CEL, but the phenomenom happens.

I have a data interface behind the radio to provide accessory, reverse and illumination output. Happened with this removed.

I have a security/remote start interface in the dash. happened with this removed.

I have the Diablo Trinity 91Oct CAI tune loaded.. Happened with this removed.

I saw above a comment about an ESM being dirty.. What in the world is an ESM?

#24 ·
ESM is the electronic shifter module. It's the part below your shifter knob with P-R-D etc. It tells the computer what gear you're in. They aren't very well built depending on the year of your truck. I just replaced mine. Do you ever get P-R-D all circled when you start it up? Any codes ? if you get lost communication with gear shift module, very good chance your ESM is hooped.

#28 ·
Will give you an Christmas gift man... Save your money on the 90mm and just get yourself a Cam... Cam is the best bang for the buck....

Reactions: hotrodcalvert
#29 ·
Well gang.. Today my PLX Wiki 2 showed up, so I was playing with the Palmer Dashcommand app and decided to check and see if here were any codes in the ECU, even though there was no light? Lo and behold, we have a U0404 - Invalid Data from fear shift control module A in there... Guess I know what's wrong.. Any idea what these suckers cost?

#34 ·
Yeah, local dealership here in Mississauga was $1100 and change..

Dorman makes a replacement part, looks like the best price is about $275.. I'm going to take mine apart and see what it's problem is first... Does anyone know of cleaning instructions? I have seen other forums make reference to them....

#36 ·
Perfect! Thanks very much Tim.. Just need it to behave until January.. I'll be in Vegas for a week, and I can grab the replacement unit then...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.