Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Signs of a torque converter going bad??

14K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  silverbullet 
#1 ·
What are the early symptoms? I went to a shop today to do a base dyno run to see where I'm at before doing mods in the new year. While it was doing the run, it got to about 87 MPH and 5500 RPM and all of a sudden the a$$ end drops as if it shifts but it doesn't. The dyno sheet shows in all three runs consistently at the same range that the power drops by about 40 HP and than shoots up about 70. The guy even felt it inside and said it was weird especially with the power drop and peak. The mechanic there said it may be the torque converter going bad. This same "shift" feeling happens in second also at mild throttle. It sounds like it shifts but I didn't shift it. Anyone have an idea? Thanks.

#9 ·
Shifty transmission

I am having the same issue with my 06'. I thought it was the fact that I put a new battery and it messed up the Diablo tuner. after calling the people at Diablo,they said dissconnecting the battery had nothing to do with messing up the tuner. I'm new at this so disregard my lack of basic car tuning. Im thinking torque converter after reading the responses to your post! P.S. great srt8 animation,Im thinking t-shirt?

#3 · (Edited)
Ok, watch and listen at the 30-32 second mark. The a$$ just drops at 5500 RPM but the RPMs were still climbing as normal. Thing is the power and torque dropped significantly and than jumped back up. Pic shows 3 runs (red, green and blue) lined up and it was consistent. Funny thing is that its also happening at the speed I've been complaining about to the dealer. With paperwork, I hope they'll believe me now.

#5 ·
I've been having this issue since I got this thing and the dealer didn't even mention this as a possibility. I can't wait to go there with some solid info and get it looked at. I think I at least should get a new torque converter and a tranny flush. It was so weird how it happened at the exact same speed that I told them it did and the dyno doesn't lie. I would be like a pig in sh*t if that was it. Lol.

#6 ·
They will tell you it must of been something wrong with the dyno or the way it was hooked up. Tell them you want to make appt with the factory rep to come and drive it. They also may say why was it on a dyno you have to fig there going to look at anyway to keep from fixing it.

#7 ·
I'll just say I had it on the dyno to see if Chrysler was false advertising. Lol. All I have is a CAI and cat-back exhaust both of which are types of mods available by Mopar. Plus, the way it was hooked up should have nothing to do with the computer read out. AND....they were the ones that told me a dyno would be the best and safest way to test it at 90 MPH. The service manager can be pretty reasonable. We're on a first name basis by now and I know he's sick of seeing my face. I'm sick of seeing theirs, too. They wanted me to go to Westbury's dyno but I told them it was too far for me and I can't fit it in my schedule.

#8 ·
This is just a stab in the dark, but do you think this could have anything to do with your CMR tune? I guess the easiest way to find out would be to return it to your stock tune and see if you're having the same issues. Whatever the case, good luck...

#10 ·
Hey eddie did you happen to have that dyno done at a place called Crazy house customs by chance?

#12 ·
u guys realize ur about a year late on this?? look at the date of eddies last post. just helpin not meaning to be harsh or anything. speaking of eddie i have not seen him on hear since a few months after i joined. hmmmm

#14 ·
yeah i know, however I was up in NJ at that place and they were telling me about a guy who's jeep was doing the same thing was just wondering if it was his. plus it kinda fun to bring back some older posts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.