Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Plasti-Dip Window Trim - Help Please

6K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  mustbf8 
#1 ·
So I just went through my first trial run with plasti-dip. I am impressed with it, but I taped right up to (and under slightly with fingernail) the trim. I also allowed it to dry roughly 2.5 hrs. So of course when I went to pull of the tape, it pulled up edges of the plastidip everywhere. I have a razor blade, but I am not going to take it and try to cut the plastic b/c I will surely scratch something.

I have searched the forum and I know there are multiple threads on plastidip, but didn't see a whole lot on this particular item. I have found the following hints:

1. Don't let it dry, take the tape up almost immediately.

This was actually the 2nd time I did the window trim. The trick is to let the seems where the trim and window/body meet break the plasti dip. In other words, you don't tape right up to the trim. Leave about an extra 1/4" exposed. When you remove the tape, it pulls off the excess and the trim keeps it's paint.
Can anyone elaborate on the above?

I am pretty impressed with the product, and I may very well use it on my wheels in the near future just to test the look of FR satins (and mine have a decent amount of curb rash anyways).

Also, just got my side moldings from TLS, and those are GREAT. Will start a new thread with pics once I figure out this stupid window trim! I may end up getting it professionally done, but they quoted like $150 and I don't know if its worth that.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

See less See more
#5 ·
There are quite a few good vids on Youtube (just search for DipYourCar). The secret seems to be leaving that 1-2" gap between what you want to spray and the tape edge; the gap between the trim and the painted surface becomes a natural "edge" so when you peel off the dip that's on the paint it doesn't affect the dip that's on the trim.

#7 ·
when doing all my trim front/rear/window/lower 2'' border 4 coats dip...let mine set overnite....:)

#8 ·
I left about 1/4"-1/2" border, 3 coats, dried for about 45-60 minutes, left great edges, nice and smooth. Always remember, the more coats, the better the line.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
Interesting and seems fairly easy if you follow the steps outlined...I might have to try this on my trim. Good question!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.