Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Bottoming out?

8K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Cfm56doc 
#1 ·
I bought my 07 used in sept with only 29k miles on it. As far as I can tell it was 100% bone stock. I am in the process of my first road trip in it and I have a question.

Sometimes when I hit the expansion joints on bridges, it sounds like the front suspensions bottoms out and a very loud bang is heard and felt through the cabin. I was thinking this may be the stiff sidewall of the run flats transmitting the bump through the suspension, but the more often it happens I am beginning to think the suspension is bottoming out.

How can I tell if it has the stock or aftermarket springs and anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Btw it is definitely the front and not the exhaust in the rear.

#2 ·
Show a side pic of your rig and we can tell you if it has been lowered or not. This should not occur on a stock rig if everything is OK.

#4 ·
could be front differential bushing.. I just replaced mine, what a pain...My symptoms were I heard strange noises usually a clunking but on occasion sounded link I bottomed out when a passenger was in the car or going over speed bumps or transitions in the pavement. It did not happen all of the time but was more noticeable with a passenger.

After careful inspection I found the rear differential bushing was torn.

I replaced with a factory part and it was a pain. Not impossible just hard to get too...

#5 ·
Thanks all for the reply. I got home late last night from my trip so I will try to get the photo up later today before I head down to Texas to help move a relative.

I am thinking it is just the run flats hard side wall and low profile transmitting the noise. 99% of the time it rides perfectly with no noises, it is just those damn joints where the bridges meet the road. It sounds like I nail a major pot hole when it happens. I worry about jacking up a rim.

#6 ·
Your best bet will be is to get rid of the run flats, they will shred very soon and very dangerous. Plus when you put on any other tire it's like your almost driving a Mercedes lol. I switched to toyo's and it was a night and day difference and a lot less cheaper than the run flats

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#8 · (Edited)
Looks stock height to me.

I bottomed out my 07 a couple times on stock suspension when hitting poorly shaped transitions with around 40K miles on it. It is possible to do, but I only did it a couple of times.

#10 ·
I drive my vehicles like I stoled them most of the time, and I bottomed out some if you slow down it doesn't happen, just look ahead just like you do for cops and decide the appropriate speed for the road lol

#13 · (Edited)
Just a thought, check your rear bump stops mine rode fine until any significant bump in the road then it would bottom out my rear bump stops were shot

Finally a nice day so I did some cleaning and brake maintenance. While the wheels were off I checked the stops and fronts were fine. The rears (both) on the other hand are completely shot with just reminants left of what was once a bump stop.

Do any of our vendors sell the stops and is there a write up on chaging them? BTW stock springs and shocks.

Thx for the suggestions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.