Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Got Front Bumper Repainted!

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Regency 
#1 ·
When I bought my Jeep it had some spots on it where the paint was flaking up (about 4 or 5 eraser to dime-sized spots, mostly on the corner areas). I had a feeling it had been resprayed before but the paint looked good and I didn't see any signs of damage or replacement parts behind it so I wasn't too worried. Some of these spots started to get a little worse and then of course it also had your standard rock chips from highway driving. There were also a couple gouges in spots and a "dent" in the lower lip right at the edge of the chrome strip (which was also cracked). And both my fog lights were cracked.

So while my wife were out of town for a week about a month ago I decided it would be a good time to have it resprayed. My office is right next door to one of the best body shops in the area and we're pretty good acquaintances with the manager so he hooked me up the best he could. He told me to hit the spots that were flaking with my pressure washer and get as much of the paint that "easily" came off as possible. The below pics show what I was able to pressure wash off. There were some fairly large pieces that just flew off. It became obvious that whoever painted the bumper before didn't prep it worth a damn.

Anyway, I got it back and back on the Jeep a couple of weeks ago but hadn't had the time to take any pics until this weekend. I wish I had some better "before" shots but lets just say it's nice to have the front bumper looking as good as the rest of the truck. And of course I replaced the chrome strip and the fog lights before putting it all back on. Looks great now!

See less See more
#5 ·
Looks great I need to get my whole ride painted for a fresh start

#10 ·
Yeah, another buddy of mine mentioned that to me as well. Depends on how much it costs. I think it might be expensive and/or not look good around all the detail of the brake cooling inlet and fog light area but what I might consider doing is at least the big flat main front section and possibly the lower section of the bumper below the chrome strip.

#11 ·
Mine is doing the same, but hurt when I hit a raccoon and cracked the bumper near the passenger's fog light. Trying to hold off until I get a Trufiber hood and have all work done at once.

Yours looks great!

#12 · (Edited)
Spend the money and wrap it in clear vinyl, if you want it to stay nice.
Those of you thinking of the same but don't want to go through time
and expense, you can wrap it in your car's color and be very happy.

#13 ·
If you don't mind how much did this run you?

#14 ·
There was quite a bit of sanding and prepping that needed to be done due to some of the paint staying on the bumper and some coming off so easily, and I also got a "hook up" but it ran me $500.

#15 ·
Alright I have a hook up as well so it should be around the same for me thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.