What is the Best CAI? up todate [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: What is the Best CAI? up todate

srt8suv
08-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Please participate in this pole to share the experience and make it easier for new comers to select what is the best for their SRT-8s
Thanks

jordo9998
08-27-2006, 12:18 PM
The Mopar CAI is the best one out up to date.

It is designed for the srt8 which is why it has such a perfect fit and works with the engine so well. Who better to trust than the people who made the car??? Why go after market when mopar knows what they are doing in the first place.

after market parts will only cause you more drama down the road with warrentys and what not.

Black_SRT8
08-27-2006, 01:45 PM
The Mopar CAI is the best one out up to date.

It is designed for the srt8 which is why it has such a perfect fit and works with the engine so well. Who better to trust than the people who made the car??? Why go after market when mopar knows what they are doing in the first place.

after market parts will only cause you more drama down the road with warrentys and what not.

I agree with the warranty retention, but I disagree with everything else you said. Just becuase an intake is Mopar designed, it does not mean it has superior performance. Some aftermarket companies spend more time in research and development than Mopar. Now, if SRT8 engineers designed the intake, that would be a whole different story.

IMO, from a performance perspective, they are all relatively the same.

radduc
08-27-2006, 02:01 PM
I don't think we can honestly pick out the best CAI unless we have driven our Jeeps with all of them on.I went with the GSM CAI for a coupple reasons,1. I purchased many other mods from them and I was impressed by all of them.2. The customer service with these guys is second to none.They have made a coupple mistakes but Scott was on top of it and made things right.

pjvreede
08-27-2006, 04:45 PM
Please participate in this pole to share the experience and make it easier for new comers to select what is the best for their SRT-8s
Thanks

How can any of us know without having tried both. I have a Mopar CAI, but without trying the GSM myself, I have no way of knowing which is really "better" I've actually modified the housing around the Mopar CAI to better insure "cold" air that's not mixed with engine compartment "hot" air (huge gaps in the metal housing around the filter housing. The Mopar CAI intake has a nice growl at full throttle as part of the package, which was a suprise for me given that prior BMW CAI's I've used never changed much in the sound department.

MrHemi
08-27-2006, 05:15 PM
I have the Mopar CAI as well... looks great under the hood and has a nice growl when you step on it. I had posted in another thread that it was quite hot to the touch after 1/2 hour of driving. I have since wrapped the intake tube with a fiberglass/foil type of heat shield. It doesn't look pretty, but the material supposedly reflects up to 1,000 degrees - 400 degrees constant. It is definitely cooler to the touch now... and the filter itself is a lot cooler than before.

If someone with the stock intake can do me a favor... after driving for awhile, pop the hood and feel your intake (the long portion where the air sensor is located). Is it hot/warm/cool??? Thanks in advance.

radduc
08-27-2006, 06:49 PM
It's always going to be hot,it's in the engine compartment.Wraping it is a waste and is not going to help performance what so ever.But if you want to do it,go for it.The heat tape is ment for headers that get really HOT,It is suppose to bring down the temp and give you a slight increase in HP.

Black_SRT8
08-27-2006, 06:57 PM
After two hour of highway driving:

Stock plastic - warm
Dub SS - Warm

Two nights ago, I came back from an extended drive, and right after it ended, I popped the hood and put my hand on the stainless steel intake tube - it was warm, not even close to hot!! I was in disbelief, but I checked again today and the results were the same. I could have kept my hand on there indefinitely. If your tube is really hot, think about switching to something else.

I would take a temperature, but how??

pjvreede
08-27-2006, 07:01 PM
I have the Mopar CAI as well... looks great under the hood and has a nice growl when you step on it. I had posted in another thread that it was quite hot to the touch after 1/2 hour of driving. I have since wrapped the intake tube with a fiberglass/foil type of heat shield. It doesn't look pretty, but the material supposedly reflects up to 1,000 degrees - 400 degrees constant. It is definitely cooler to the touch now... and the filter itself is a lot cooler than before.

If someone with the stock intake can do me a favor... after driving for awhile, pop the hood and feel your intake (the long portion where the air sensor is located). Is it hot/warm/cool??? Thanks in advance.

Just saw another thread on this question (www.***********). Sarge states that the GSM is better than the Mopar d/t consistent interior diameter of the intatke tube (intake velocity was the argument). He's tried both, and believes the GSM is better.

As much as I agree with the velocity issue, I think a cooler engine and air intake (one solution described above) is more important than the velocity issue. For me, I've bypassed the radiator fan so that I have control as to when it runs (like the GSM fan/traction control modificiation). If the fan runs continously during the summer, the intake air tube and the intake manifold will be secondarily cooler d/t lower under-hood temps, thus lower intake air temps results in more oxygen available for combustion (thus more power!).

radduc
08-27-2006, 07:03 PM
I have the GSM CAI as well as the ESP/FAN mod and the chrome intake never gets HOT it gets warm but never hot that I could not keep my hand on it.

MrHemi
08-27-2006, 07:04 PM
It's always going to be hot, it's in the engine compartment.
Thank you Captain Obvious.
The heat shield fabric I used is NOT for headers... I used this - http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+115+310682&D=310682

I would think it would help keep the air temps down... better than a bare metal tube anyway.

Mommy Wagon
08-27-2006, 09:24 PM
If that's all that you are worried about, tube temperature, then go and buy some insulative turbo wrap, and wrap your intake tube. It will shield almost all of your engine heat away from your intake.

But

Here's the actual scenario. How hot your intake tube is has little to do with intake air temperature. If you have a cold air intake installed, and you get a cold air charge when you're driving. At speed, the velocity of the intake charge is moving too fast to gain all that much in temperature.

If you don't belive me, get a tempature guage, plumb into your intake (CAI) near the throttle body, and hold onto it while you drive at different speeds. You might be shocked.

srt8suv
08-28-2006, 04:56 PM
Its interesting that Many of us have Mopar and like it..

I would like to see more votes,, :)

BigHemi
08-30-2006, 08:56 PM
I swear by the GSM

palo alto dave
08-30-2006, 09:15 PM
I have had no problems with the DUBair CAI I installed. Very easy to install,
looks great and professional, I think dyno sheet says 12hp.

jordo9998
08-30-2006, 10:59 PM
I think its great that so many people around here have their own preference on CAI kits otherwise we would have nothing to talk about nor to compare to...
I for one like The mopar system as I have it on my srt8. I love so much what mopar is doing with their race cars, why wouldn't I continue to use their race upgrades..? They know their cars better than anyone AND have more money to spend on research than any of these aftermarket companys do.

Thats my thoughts..
Interested in hearing other peoples views on this matter?

Untouchable
08-31-2006, 08:40 AM
i put in a kn panel filter. i modified the intake tube to the box by cutting it so that its opens straight to the front like a ram air. i got a little response from this. the stock intake pipe is pretty good and i can do without additional noise. I might try putting in a true flow foam filter

generalconfusion
08-31-2006, 03:41 PM
The Mopar unit is made by AEM. When I bought my SRT8 in Feb 06 the dealer asked me to contact AEM in Hawthorne California and if I would drop my Jeep off for a day and they would give me one for free in exchange.

The Mopar is like 4" in diameter and the rubber boot necks down to 3-1/4........GSM and a few others use the stock 3-1/4 diameter. The inside id of the throttle body is under 3-1/4........why would you ever think a larger tube is going to flow more cfm in a hole that is already smaller????

The Mopar unit is sluggish in terms of throttle response. It does make about 5hp with an open hood dyno run. It is a poor design, not to mention it is completely open to the under hood environment.

General