Best Intake mod and HP Results? [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Best Intake mod and HP Results?

SRT8 MAFIA
03-14-2006, 10:01 PM
Wanted to know what owners have found the best intake mod to be and how much gain in HP you can expect.

ARH1956
03-14-2006, 10:28 PM
Wanted to know what owners have found the best intake mod to be and how much gain in HP you can expect.The best intake mod is a GSM supercharger, & you will gain significant HP.

SRT8 MAFIA
03-14-2006, 10:37 PM
Sorry not to clarify earlier but just intake airfilter mod? Is there a conical cold air K&N system available anywhere? And what gain could be expected?

I'm sure the GSM delivers ballistic performance. I wonder how many pound pulley most people are going to go with? My guess is between 5 to 8. Are the SRT pistons are forged or cast?

OIT2KU
03-16-2006, 10:06 PM
You can use the AirRaid filter, just order the one for the 5.7l it is a perfect fit. The new airRaid filters are very nice and seem to be a better construction than the K&N. I have run them on a 2004 Titan and a 1994 Viper with very good results.

SRTJeep
04-16-2006, 01:16 PM
SRT8 Pistons are forged aluminum. I'm working on a CAI that draws its air outside the engine compartment. The factory one is very restrictive as any inclosed versions. The open filter, outside the engine compartment is the best to use. (i've done some crude testing myself and definate performance gain was noted.) The exhaust is the biggest bottleneck stock. I just installed a replacement muffler and wow, big gain in power. Cost less than $250 HTH Gene:D

ge2
04-17-2006, 12:48 PM
So the Airraid 310-178 will work well? I just want to ditch the box & paper filter, and get an open element intake from a reputable name.

rm360
04-17-2006, 01:24 PM
So the Airraid 310-178 will work well? I just want to ditch the box & paper filter, and get an open element intake from a reputable name.

Why would you get rid of the sealed air box to put an open element filter in the hot engine compartment. You need to realize that the factory air box has great cold air feeds from outside the engine compartment and is not restrictive at all. Putting a filter unprotected in the engine compartment is a step in the wrong direction. All you get is hot air from the engine bay. The intake on the SRT8 stock is pretty darn good. There are no real restrictions at all and it has great cold air feeds. Open element intakes are old news and now days with how well engendered factory air filter boxes are you need to reconsider removing them.

Randy
Trueflow.com

ge2
04-17-2006, 01:40 PM
Thanks Randy. I appreciate the feedback. I'm not a performance guy at all and my extent of 'performance' mods has always been e-fans, intake and exhaust. I'm a visual mod guy (I know I'm in the VAST minority among GC SRT owners), so I keep it simple when it comes to performance. I will take what you say as great advice. Thanks!

rm360
04-17-2006, 03:10 PM
Thanks Randy. I appreciate the feedback. I'm not a performance guy at all and my extent of 'performance' mods has always been e-fans, intake and exhaust. I'm a visual mod guy (I know I'm in the VAST minority among GC SRT owners), so I keep it simple when it comes to performance. I will take what you say as great advice. Thanks!

Your very welcome. This is the industry I'm in and I would be the first one to change the air intake if there was a true benefit to be had.

Randy

ge2
04-17-2006, 03:16 PM
Again.... thank you. From what I understand, I still should do exhaust though, simply becuase it's an easy way to get closer to the potential of the GC? I see stuff about MagnaFlow, Zoomer etc..... would you mind giving me your input on what exhaust setup would be a good one? I do not race, will not race, and want a nice sounding, solid performer, as opposed to squeezing maximum hp out of the ride, while sacrificing comfort (read interior sound).

rm360
04-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Again.... thank you. From what I understand, I still should do exhaust though, simply becuase it's an easy way to get closer to the potential of the GC? I see stuff about MagnaFlow, Zoomer etc..... would you mind giving me your input on what exhaust setup would be a good one? I do not race, will not race, and want a nice sounding, solid performer, as opposed to squeezing maximum hp out of the ride, while sacrificing comfort (read interior sound).

See my post under performance / sport truck project srt8. My srt is at B&B now getting the prototype exhaust built. I will post the details at the end of the week. B&B is a very well known stainless exhaust builder. They have done all the systems for me in the past. They will have this kit for sale in the next few weeks.

ge2
04-17-2006, 05:06 PM
I've been keeping tabs on that thread. I'm definitely interested in a few of the mods you are doing. WTW (GFG specifically) is a previous sponsor of one of my vehicles, so I've been really paying attention to your wheels. They came out great.

SRTJeep
04-19-2006, 01:40 AM
I don't know where you get your information as any open air filter is far superior to any inclosed one. I've done a lot of testing on this over the past 12 yrs on my Buick Grand National and isn't "Old Hat" at All. My Jeep SRT-8 has been tested using some crude hoses and drawing air from outside the engine compartment, open air cone AF, really woke this engine up! Any filter "inclosed" is highly restrictive, the stock one is too, with sound baffels etc. I do agree that any open filter under the hood doesn't give much performance gains just a better sound. (info from a local 300C SRT-8 Owner) I'm making one that is designed after the one used on my Grand National and will be testing it soon? Will it work? Testing will tell, Dyno, Drag Strip Tested. I'm betting it will work! MHO Gene

rm360
04-19-2006, 11:13 AM
I don't know where you get your information as any open air filter is far superior to any inclosed one. I've done a lot of testing on this over the past 12 yrs on my Buick Grand National and isn't "Old Hat" at All. My Jeep SRT-8 has been tested using some crude hoses and drawing air from outside the engine compartment, open air cone AF, really woke this engine up! Any filter "inclosed" is highly restrictive, the stock one is too, with sound baffels etc. I do agree that any open filter under the hood doesn't give much performance gains just a better sound. (info from a local 300C SRT-8 Owner) I'm making one that is designed after the one used on my Grand National and will be testing it soon? Will it work? Testing will tell, Dyno, Drag Strip Tested. I'm betting it will work! MHO Gene

Where do I get my information... On our Super Flow testing flow bench and our Dyno facility.... We test via flow bench and 4 wheel dyno for all our intakes. I can tell you 100% that the air box on the Jeep SRT8 will outflow anything the engine can pull. The paper filter has restriction but thats all. I put in one of our True Flow filters in but thats it. Some air boxes are restrictive but not this one. We build kits for hundreds of vehicles and out of them only around 12 of them do we replace the air box with one of our sealed larger air boxes. Hey this is just my view and opinion. I have been in the intake industry for 16 years now.

Randy

SRTJeep
04-19-2006, 12:38 PM
Where do I get my information... On our Super Flow testing flow bench and our Dyno facility.... We test via flow bench and 4 wheel dyno for all our intakes. I can tell you 100% that the air box on the Jeep SRT8 will outflow anything the engine can pull. The paper filter has restriction but thats all. I put in one of our True Flow filters in but thats it. Some air boxes are restrictive but not this one. We build kits for hundreds of vehicles and out of them only around 12 of them do we replace the air box with one of our sealed larger air boxes. Hey this is just my view and opinion. I have been in the intake industry for 16 years now.

Randy I watched your demostration and of course your filter is designed as a flat one not a round cone type so it is designed to fit the factory air box. I'm not convinced w/o testing a cone type outside the hot engine compartment like mine to the restrictive factory air box. My Jeep runs much faster on very cold days and drawing the cold air outside the engine compartment, Fact! Cold air is more dense and has more molecules / volume, anything under the engine compartment is drawing 350* temp heated air or hotter that also warms the factory plastic air box, plastic flex hose to the TB. No drop in filter will make any HP improvements due to this heated atmosphere. I'v also worked with "Donaldson Air Filter Co." located here in the Twin Cities, (Bloomington, MN.) and tested several inclosed air filters used on the Forklifts that I've worked on for 20 yrs. (retired now) Drawing air only through a single surface inclosed filter element will never out flow a round cone filter that draws its air from the total filter surface area. I've also spoken with Myron Cattrel ( a local race engine builder and air flow guru) that lives here too! I'm sorry but these are my findings and are based on many years of my own testings and not spoken as a Vendor. I'm also working on airfoils to even out the air flow and preventing turbulence in the intake pipes. MHO again and no Flame is intended to anyone or vendor. Gene

SRTJeep
04-23-2006, 05:45 AM
I just installed a drop in air filter, removed the factory sound baffel cup, ran a hose from the PS brake cooling duct to this cup fixture, results; instant power increase, so the outside CAI is a big plus and this engine loves it. So I'm going to test my outside CAI with a full cone filter and mounted outside the engine compartment, soon! Gene

CGR LVR
04-26-2006, 09:56 PM
Why would you get rid of the sealed air box to put an open element filter in the hot engine compartment. You need to realize that the factory air box has great cold air feeds from outside the engine compartment and is not restrictive at all. Putting a filter unprotected in the engine compartment is a step in the wrong direction. All you get is hot air from the engine bay. The intake on the SRT8 stock is pretty darn good. There are no real restrictions at all and it has great cold air feeds. Open element intakes are old news and now days with how well engendered factory air filter boxes are you need to reconsider removing them.

Randy
Trueflow.com

Could this not be offset with a heat shield or a fully inclosed conical filter. On my GTO I have a heat sheilded conical with an extra air hole cut for more cold air, I had very noticeable power gains with stock exhaust.

southern runner
05-08-2006, 02:06 AM
The Jeep SRT8 is my first real performance vehicle, i really want to get my hands dirty and start adding some performance parts to my jeep. I would love any suggestions on where to get started.

radduc
06-05-2006, 11:13 AM
www.gsmotorsports.com Start there

Untouchable
06-05-2006, 01:27 PM
srtJeep, what muffler did you get to replace the Keg down there.

notrust
06-05-2006, 01:43 PM

Randy
Have you released a filter for the 06 GC SRT8? Your site does not have 2006 models available?

amaze139
07-10-2006, 03:40 PM
Does anyone know how much horsepower I will gain by installing a GSM Supercharger?!?

Fahad
07-10-2006, 11:07 PM
Yup i do agree...gsmotorsports..... that would be a great place to start :cool: