B&B Catback is on the truck [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: B&B Catback is on the truck

SRT Great
08-12-2006, 10:17 AM
UPS guy tried to deliver since WED and THURS, but finally caught me at home yesterday. Installed last night with just one jack stand on the OEM muffler side. Definitely a weight savings over stock after having to lift the stock muffler :eek: . Quality product, definitely will be sad to see it lose it's shine, because I'm not dragging my ass under the truck everytime I wash it to polish the thing. Excellent (looking) weld seams and fit.

Install took about 2 hours. Here's what I learned, because instructions are pretty generic:

lube the muffler hangar (I used vaseline) or you'll never get the system out. recommend also lubing the B&B pieces before installing on the hanger. Take out 2 exhaust tip pieces, then main muffler.

Hang the X-pipe first on hanger. Hang the mufflers and match to x-pipe. Don't forget bands, and don't tighten.

Install first stage pipes into x-pipe (w/ bands....don't tighten) and push like hell to get pipe to pop into stock exhaust system. I had to hit the driver side pipe a few times with my palm to get it to go, but it did. The other side was pretty easy.

Loosely place the hardware to the first stage pipes to align it with the stock exhaust.

Set the first stage pipes deeper into the x-pipe and tighten bands.

Tighten first stage pipes to the stock exhaust.

push, pull, twist, turn to align mufflers and tips and tighten bands.

Cable modem was down last night so I couldn't watch the online install video, so don't know how different this is, but I do know they had a lift, and I did this with my back on the garage floor.

System sounds and looks good.

candyman
08-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the info. I just got my invoice in the mail today from Billy Boat saying my system was shipped on the 7th, so it should be here Monday. Can't wait to put it on!

08-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Let's here some clips!!!

Black_SRT8
08-14-2006, 09:46 AM
Nice choice of exhaust system. The pictures of the BB system are stunning.

Threads like this make me so impatient, I cannot wait to bolt on a system...

SRT Great
08-14-2006, 07:36 PM
Let's here some clips!!!
You're asking me to take time out from driving to record what it sounds like when I'm driving? :) I wouldn't do it justice with my cheap camera. Check out the B&B website. I can tell you that it is definitely louder than stock under acceleration.

2MCHPSI
08-14-2006, 11:17 PM
What about everyday regular driving conditions? How is the drone inside the cabin? WHat about on the highway @ roughly 70-80 MPH. Sorry for the load of questions, but I am real nervous about putting on a cat-back that is going to make that much more cabin noise. I hear the B&B is great, and the Corsa is speculated to be just fine.

Don't get me wrong, I understand it will be louder, and can live with a slight raise in interior noise. I just don't want something that is going to over-drone my radio under normal cruising acceleration and throttle variation.

2MCHPSI
08-14-2006, 11:19 PM
FWIW - I have driven cars as quiet as my Mercedes to as loud as my Stage 3R SRT-4. I had a Supercharged Grand Prix w/ Headers and 2-3/4" straight pipe that would make 138 db on the dyno.

I'm just looking for something that is going to be "comfortable" to handle, as opposed to obnoxious.

SRT Great
08-15-2006, 08:07 PM
What about everyday regular driving conditions? How is the drone inside the cabin? WHat about on the highway @ roughly 70-80 MPH. Sorry for the load of questions, but I am real nervous about putting on a cat-back that is going to make that much more cabin noise. I hear the B&B is great, and the Corsa is speculated to be just fine.

Don't get me wrong, I understand it will be louder, and can live with a slight raise in interior noise. I just don't want something that is going to over-drone my radio under normal cruising acceleration and throttle variation.

It's definitely louder than stock with more drone, especially at acceleration and throttle variation. How much louder is subjective....I'd say a little. I like it though, and it's about the same at highway speeds as the stock system.

tbyrne
08-15-2006, 09:14 PM
UPS guy tried to deliver since WED and THURS, but finally caught me at home yesterday. Installed last night with just one jack stand on the OEM muffler side. Definitely a weight savings over stock after having to lift the stock muffler :eek: . Quality product, definitely will be sad to see it lose it's shine, because I'm not dragging my ass under the truck everytime I wash it to polish the thing. Excellent (looking) weld seams and fit.

That is the only issue that some customers report. The exhaust almost looks to good to install. They just want to hang it on the wall to show their friends! :) I find that Eagle One Never Dull Wadding Polish works good to keep the exhaust shiny. Just go over it once in awhile.

viperrt
08-16-2006, 11:31 AM
Just ordered mine today. Looks like an awesome system and like the fact that B&B provides dyno results.