Update on mods [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Update on mods

GRNENVY
08-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Well I got a good part number for a thermostat that will work in our truck. I went to auto Zone and me and the guy that worked there matched up some thermostat's to the factory one. Plus he cross referanced then also just to make sure. They sell Duralast stats and the part number for the 180 is 15478. This stat is a perfect fit and measures out exact I put my digital mic on it. This change alone droped my water temp by 20 degrees. With the a/c on in traffic it ran 215 now it runs between 190-195. The truck is so much more responsive and it cools off alot faster. I feel that this was a great move plus the intake temp droped also. I read the intake temp with my laser reader before and after and it said almost 13 degrees cooler. (thats alot) I bet that air charge senor likes that. Now for my modified factory intake box. I pulled the lower of the box out and removed a piece of the bottom with my die grinder 4" by 5" section. Then I modified the front air deflector by reshaping the way the air comes in. (I opened the front up behind the grill) After that I installed a panel K/N air filter. Then I went for a road test. Let me just say this with these two mods that I did my truck feels alot better. I would have to say atleast 15 hp because any less then that and you couldn't feel it. The other thing is that even after driving the truck around for an hour or so it always has the same amount of pwr and I attribute that to the lower coolant temps.
The throttle response is awesome and my wife could even feel the differance. I can't wait for the cool weather I think this truck could run in the 12s just the way it sits.

Now we need the aftermarket to make a bigger throttle body and undrive pulleys for this truck that could be another 10hp.

08-09-2006, 08:08 PM
Well I got a good part number for a thermostat that will work in our truck. I went to auto Zone and me and the guy that worked there matched up some thermostat's to the factory one. Plus he cross referanced then also just to make sure. They sell Duralast stats and the part number for the 180 is 15478. This stat is a perfect fit and measures out exact I put my digital mic on it. This change alone droped my water temp by 20 degrees. With the a/c on in traffic it ran 215 now it runs between 190-195. The truck is so much more responsive and it cools off alot faster. I feel that this was a great move plus the intake temp droped also. I read the intake temp with my laser reader before and after and it said almost 13 degrees cooler. (thats alot) I bet that air charge senor likes that. Now for my modified factory intake box. I pulled the lower of the box out and removed a piece of the bottom with my die grinder 4" by 5" section. Then I modified the front air deflector by reshaping the way the air comes in. (I opened the front up behind the grill) After that I installed a panel K/N air filter. Then I went for a road test. Let me just say this with these two mods that I did my truck feels alot better. I would have to say atleast 15 hp because any less then that and you couldn't feel it. The other thing is that even after driving the truck around for an hour or so it always has the same amount of pwr and I attribute that to the lower coolant temps.
The throttle response is awesome and my wife could even feel the differance. I can't wait for the cool weather I think this truck could run in the 12s just the way it sits.

Now we need the aftermarket to make a bigger throttle body and undrive pulleys for this truck that could be another 10hp.

How much for the "stat"? T/b and undrive pulleys....Cobra in you is coming out!!:rolleyes:

Black_SRT8
08-09-2006, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the write-up. I am going to purchase a thermostat tomorrow.

notsag
08-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Great info.

Have you noticed any effect on gas mileage?

Any pics on your air box mod?

Thanks!

viol8r
08-10-2006, 01:47 AM
I'm there tomorrow to pick up that stat.

GRNENVY
08-10-2006, 07:17 AM
The stat was like 6 bucks.
So does anyone know if they have a T-body and pulleys for this truck.

Cobra in you is coming out lolol I get it now

How much for the "stat"? T/b and undrive pulleys....Cobra in you is coming out!!:rolleyes:

regy112
08-10-2006, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the info.

How hard is it to install?

08-10-2006, 08:15 AM
Any negatives on using this stat....why wouldn't Chrysler put in a 180* from the getgo?? Warranty concerns?? If no negs or warranty concerns I will get one on the way home.

GRNENVY
08-10-2006, 08:19 AM
The stat change is very easy. Remove the upper air intake hose first. Then I clamped off the upper hose pulled the stat out removed the gasket from the original stat and put it on the new one. Do not stretch out the rubber ring that goes around the stat. Then I put the neck back on and tighen it up. Now for getting the air out of the system. There is a little pipe plug in the water pump you have to pull it out when adding the coolant so you get all the air out. Once you see coolant coming out of the hole put the plug back in and then just top off the radiator. That ensures that all the air is out and that you won't over heat. After the truck is running warming up for a while. You should here the fan come on and then after it cools the truck off it should go off by it's self. If it doesn't and it starts to over heat you didn't get the air out of the system.
This **** is easy for me I was a tech for a long time.

I did not take pics of the air box modified but if you take it apart and look at it it's self explanatory.

Like I said before these two mods made a big differance in my truck. I believe in modifing the factory air box. With a couple tricks it's not restrictive for this truck at this pwr level and it gets a ton of cool air. You watch and see there will be aftermarket boxes in the near future because it works.

I can't wait to to take this truck to the track once the weather cools off. It runs good in 95 degree humid weather it will be crazy in 60 degree air.

Black_SRT8
08-10-2006, 08:20 AM
Any negatives on using this stat....why wouldn't Chrysler put in a 180* from the getgo?? Warranty concerns?? If no negs or warranty concerns I will get one on the way home.

I have pondered this as well. Why not implement the 180 thermostat from the factory?

GRNENVY
08-10-2006, 08:27 AM
All the manfactures run there cars hot it burns off the bad emissions coming out the tail pipe. This mod is so good for this truck the engine thanks me. Plus the engine should last alot longer.
Now if you live in a cold climate you may want to put a 190 stat in the truck.
It has a 203 degree in it from mopar.

BLS2WAL
08-10-2006, 08:46 AM
anybody got the part # for the 190 degree stat

GRNENVY
08-10-2006, 08:55 AM
I had it but I left it at auto zone. If you go there they can help you cross referance it. It's pretty close to the first number I posted.

Just to let you guys know I know what I'm talking about I had my emission license in Pa and was a certified tech for years. Cars that run cool don't pass tail pipe laws especially a hemi that get 12-15 mpg. LOLOL

AaronC
08-10-2006, 08:56 AM
All the manfactures run there cars hot it burns off the bad emissions coming out the tail pipe. This mod is so good for this truck the engine thanks me. Plus the engine should last alot longer.

Yep. It is all about the emissions. 180 is not all that low either. Many performance engines use 160 or 170s.

GRNENVY
08-10-2006, 09:23 AM
I run a 160 in my mid 10sec 03 cobra. I also changed out the stat in my 04 navigator I run a 180 in that. Cars run so much better around 180-190 degrees and the motors last longer.

08-10-2006, 09:33 AM
I had it but I left it at auto zone. If you go there they can help you cross referance it. It's pretty close to the first number I posted.

Just to let you guys know I know what I'm talking about I had my emission license in Pa and was a certified tech for years. Cars that run cool don't pass tail pipe laws especially a hemi that get 12-15 mpg. LOLOL

I'm in PA...would a 180 be good or a 190?? PA has emission tests now, don't they??

TXBLU
08-10-2006, 09:39 AM

That's a cool thing (no pun intended) about Texas. On OBD II vehicles, all they do is plug into the diagnostics port.Ifthe vehiclescomputer says all is good, you pass. No pesky sniffing up your tailpipe!!!

Untouchable
08-10-2006, 09:41 AM
in fl there are no emissions. No cats was fun on the old jeep

GRNENVY
08-10-2006, 10:25 AM
Go with the 192 it will still drop your operating temps. It's so easy to change you could put the 180 in the summer the 192 when it starts to get cold out.

I'm in PA...would a 180 be good or a 190?? PA has emission tests now, don't they??

08-10-2006, 10:27 AM
Go with the 192 it will still drop your operating temps. It's so easy to change you could put the 180 in the summer the 192 when it starts to get cold out.

190, correct?? :o

GRNENVY
08-10-2006, 10:33 AM
Not all of Pa has emission laws. I know up towards the Pocono's they don't.
But Philly and the tri state area does do to the car population.

Black_SRT8
08-10-2006, 10:45 AM
Would a 180 in the winter be detrimental?

GRNENVY
08-10-2006, 10:58 AM
I don't think so as long as the truck runs over 180 degrees. If the truck runs to cool in the winter it will take to long to get heat from your heater. I also think if the truck runs any cooler then 180 it would hurt the performance. It's all about getting the perfect temps for the region you live in. I like my temps between 185-195 at all times with the a/c on.

Would a 180 in the winter be detrimental?

08-10-2006, 11:03 AM
I don't think so as long as the truck runs over 180 degrees. If the truck runs to cool in the winter it will take to long to get heat from your heater. I also think if the truck runs any cooler then 180 it would hurt the performance. It's all about getting the perfect temps for the region you live in. I like my temps between 185-195 at all times with the a/c on.

Which begs the question...where do you live, still in PA?? My mechanic said our area does not have the tailpipe sniffer....they use the gas tank method. He also said he would'nt switch it out as the computer is set to read the stock one. H's old school thou...and you were a tech. so I am confident in your advise.

GRNENVY
08-10-2006, 11:34 AM
I just moved to the Tampa area 11 months ago. I lived in Yardley Pa right outside of Philly where I was born. You can do what you want with your truck. I know when a truck runs around 210-215 thats to hot when your talking about having a performance street vehical. Your guy sounds old school so watch what he tells you. This isn't a mid 70s car where they just started to get computer control cars right. This truck will adapt to changes and some performance mods. Good luck

Which begs the question...where do you live, still in PA?? My mechanic said our area does not have the tailpipe sniffer....they use the gas tank method. He also said he would'nt switch it out as the computer is set to read the stock one. H's old school thou...and you were a tech. so I am confident in your advise.

08-10-2006, 11:55 AM
I just moved to the Tampa area 11 months ago. I lived in Yardley Pa right outside of Philly where I was born. You can do what you want with your truck. I know when a truck runs around 210-215 thats to hot when your talking about having a performance street vehical. Your guy sounds old school so watch what he tells you. This isn't a mid 70s car where they just started to get computer control cars right. This truck will adapt to changes and some performance mods. Good luck

Sounds good, thanks! I will have them cross reference a 190* stat.

notsag
08-10-2006, 01:33 PM
Hey guys!

What happens to gas mileage with a lower temp thermostat?

Anyone?

Thanks!!

08-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Picking up the last 180* stat from my local Auto Zone on the way home....the guy there checked and said Duralast doesn't make a 190* one...I guess I can check other makes.

GRNENVY
08-10-2006, 03:09 PM
Your right they make a 192 I had it in my hand. Good luck

GRNENVY
08-10-2006, 03:10 PM
Time will tell

Hey guys!

Anyone?

Thanks!!

AaronC
08-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Hey guys!

Anyone?

Thanks!!
I did not observe any change in my previous vehicles with lower temp t-stats.

08-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Your right they make a 192 I had it in my hand. Good luck

Shiat...I thought that was a misprint when I saw it...do you think I should go get a 192??

GRNENVY
08-10-2006, 06:29 PM
yup...........

Shiat...I thought that was a misprint when I saw it...do you think I should go get a 192??

Untouchable
08-10-2006, 10:44 PM
i got a stant superstat. It was the one posted here a while ago when I first joined. Mine is 196deg and runs nice. It is heavy duty and is made for a ram diesel. It was 30 bucks but well built.

Black_SRT8
08-10-2006, 10:46 PM
i got a stant superstat. It was the one posted here a while ago when I first joined. Mine is 196deg and runs nice. It is heavy duty and is made for a ram diesel. It was 30 bucks but well built.

Why did you choose 196 instead of 180? Because of your location?

GRNENVY
08-11-2006, 06:08 AM
That was a good move changing the stat but to a 196 that may have been pointless. Thats only a diff of 7 degrees the factory one is 203. I would atleast do the 192 and in warmer climates the 180. good luck

Untouchable
08-11-2006, 09:00 AM
it is actually 195 degrees:eek:

I am in NY right now

I was leery about dropping down to a cooler one after some early reports that the ECU would run right at 180 degrees and that people has juicy drops in their mpg. Furthermore, the stocker was very heavy duty and I didnt want to just drop in another one that fit.

Unless there are mustangs around ;) it sits between the 185 and 215 mark, where before it was closer to the 215

You can refer to the thermostat thread from a few months ago when I did it.

I am of course open to correction/suggestion. If you have more success with another stat I have no problem dropping it in.

GRNENVY
08-11-2006, 09:39 AM
If your truck is running between 195 and 215 that thermostat seems like it's way off of it's calibration. The truck should only vary in temputure about 10-15 degrees from when the fan comes on and then off. From the factory the truck runs consistant temps and now that I changed my stat it's still consistant but just alot cooler. Your stating that yours moves around 25 degrees sounds like the stat has a very poor spring design and to much + or - from it's 195 degree mark. good luck

it is actually 195 degrees:eek:

I am in NY right now

I was leery about dropping down to a cooler one after some early reports that the ECU would run right at 180 degrees and that people has juicy drops in their mpg. Furthermore, the stocker was very heavy duty and I didnt want to just drop in another one that fit.

Unless there are mustangs around ;) it sits between the 185 and 215 mark, where before it was closer to the 215

You can refer to the thermostat thread from a few months ago when I did it.

I am of course open to correction/suggestion. If you have more success with another stat I have no problem dropping it in.

Black_SRT8
08-11-2006, 10:31 AM
If your truck is running between 195 and 215 that thermostat seems like it's way off of it's calibration. The truck should only vary in temputure about 10-15 degrees from when the fan comes on and then off. From the factory the truck runs consistant temps and now that I changed my stat it's still consistant but just alot cooler. Your stating that yours moves around 25 degrees sounds like the stat has a very poor spring design and to much + or - from it's 195 degree mark. good luck

I think what he is saying is his temperature sits between 185 and 215 on the meter.

GRNENVY
08-11-2006, 02:56 PM
LOL, I do have problems understanding people some times.
My bad

I think what he is saying is his temperature sits between 185 and 215 on the meter.

Untouchable
08-11-2006, 07:54 PM
yeah, what he said.

BLKSRT8 is correct

rcavalear
08-12-2006, 01:50 PM
I am familiar with some older cars that i have rebuilt and in most of them I took the thermostat out of them. Now I live in florida so keeping heat in isnt a priority here. Would there be any adverse effect if I pulled the therm. out of my GC SRT* when i get it?

GRNENVY
08-12-2006, 03:01 PM
Just put the 180 in there

I am familiar with some older cars that i have rebuilt and in most of them I took the thermostat out of them. Now I live in florida so keeping heat in isnt a priority here. Would there be any adverse effect if I pulled the therm. out of my GC SRT* when i get it?

Hardware
08-12-2006, 04:59 PM
LOL, I do have problems understanding people some times.
My bad
No Schit...........

SRTJeep
08-13-2006, 07:27 AM
This subject was discussed with the Engs at the Nats. They say don't change it as once it is opened the cooling system determines the overall temp. My coolant temp stock runs constant 209* but when drag racing it goes over 235*, this is way over the 209*, reason is the trans oil cooler is in the rad and this heats the coolant more than the engine. Now to lower the coolant temp more an extra trans cooler might help or removing the trans cooler completely from the rad. Some have tested the 180* thermo and found a performance loss? (blue site) My opinion is a manual cooling fan switch cools more than the thermostat change w/o any side effects. Gene

Black_SRT8
08-13-2006, 09:30 AM
This subject was discussed with the Engs at the Nats. They say don't change it as once it is opened the cooling system determines the overall temp. My coolant temp stock runs constant 209* but when drag racing it goes over 235*, this is way over the 209*, reason is the trans oil cooler is in the rad and this heats the coolant more than the engine. Now to lower the coolant temp more an extra trans cooler might help or removing the trans cooler completely from the rad. Some have tested the 180* thermo and found a performance loss? (blue site) My opinion is a manual cooling fan switch cools more than the thermostat change w/o any side effects. Gene

Interesting thought~

GRNENVY
08-15-2006, 07:23 AM
Your truck would run so much better in the summer if it ran around 190. But nice right up.