Intake air flow air box [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Intake air flow air box

GRNENVY
08-06-2006, 06:06 PM
My Conclusion
After looking at all the Intake kit's on the market and taking apart the factory air box any studying it. I feel that if you remove the bottom portion of the lower air box (cut it off) and use a K/N panel filter with the help of the air director in the grill that would be the perfect kit. Also the factory rubber 3.5 hose is fine with the air charge sensor in it. I don't believe that it's hurting any pwr. If you go with a larger 4 inch pipe it may hurt low end tq and throttle response. There's also a Drain tube that you can cut the bottom off of also to help air flow. Here's another little trick that drain tube sticks out of the bottom of the air box about three inch's. If you stick a hose on it the kind you would get from paxton or vortech then you can run that to the front of the truck. Then put a small scoop at the bottom of the truck for even more air flow kinda like the kit they sell for the 5.0 mustang. It's a small diameter hose that won't help that much but every little bit helps. Just think two sources of cool rushing air going into the box plus a wide open whole in the bottom I don't think it can get any better then that. I really like the factory box it's well built and there's alot to work with. Just think a sealed box from the engine compartment and it's sucking cool air from the inner wheel well underneith. I also feel that this way would be pretty safe in the rain unless you like to fly through huge puddle's and if thats the case keep your intake stock. Hmm talk about stealth looking and when you take it to the dealer for those small repairs they won't even see it.
I'm not trying to hurt the sales of any intake kit on the market but I like to design my own stuff and it has always worked for me in the past. I also feel SRT gave use alot to work with so why not use it. I feel this kit can run with the best of them at the cost of a K/N panel filter.

Hardware
08-06-2006, 07:43 PM
Where's my Sawzall !

GRNENVY
08-06-2006, 07:48 PM
Get it out and start cutting

08-06-2006, 07:52 PM
My Conclusion
After looking at all the Intake kit's on the market and taking apart the factory air box any studying it. I feel that if you remove the bottom portion of the lower air box (cut it off) and use a K/N panel filter with the help of the air director in the grill that would be the perfect kit. Also the factory rubber 3.5 hose is fine with the air charge sensor in it. I don't believe that it's hurting any pwr. If you go with a larger 4 inch pipe it may hurt low end tq and throttle response. There's also a Drain tube that you can cut the bottom off of also to help air flow. Here's another little trick that drain tube sticks out of the bottom of the air box about three inch's. If you stick a hose on it the kind you would get from paxton or vortech then you can run that to the front of the truck. Then put a small scoop at the bottom of the truck for even more air flow kinda like the kit they sell for the 5.0 mustang. It's a small diameter hose that won't help that much but every little bit helps. Just think two sources of cool rushing air going into the box plus a wide open whole in the bottom I don't think it can get any better then that. I really like the factory box it's well built and there's alot to work with. Just think a sealed box from the engine compartment and it's sucking cool air from the inner wheel well underneith. I also feel that this way would be pretty safe in the rain unless you like to fly through huge puddle's and if thats the case keep your intake stock. Hmm talk about stealth looking and when you take it to the dealer for those small repairs they won't even see it.
I'm not trying to hurt the sales of any intake kit on the market but I like to design my own stuff and it has always worked for me in the past. I also feel SRT gave use alot to work with so why not use it. I feel this kit can run with the best of them at the cost of a K/N panel filter.

Let us know how it works....