DUB AIR CAI Install with pics [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: DUB AIR CAI Install with pics

Black_SRT8
08-03-2006, 08:32 PM
Hi Everyone!

I received my Dub Air CAI kit from Tbyrne; their customer service was spectacular, and I received my order in six days (pretty quick for MN). The components were packaged with the utmost care.

The kit is impressive, technically and aesthetically. The bottom portion of the stock airbox is used, which is advantageous because it is an air magnet. The stainless steel is marine grade, and the elbow and hose are silicone, meaning absolutely no corroding. Plus, the filter is enormous!

I will be installing the kit tomorrow, and I am writing this post ahead of time in case anybody wants specific pictures of the install. Pictures of the kit are posted in case any "tech junkies" want to analyze the design of the system.

Once the kit is installed, I write a summary of the performance aspects.

The next post has the install pictures.....

Black_SRT8
08-04-2006, 09:39 AM
Wow! Amazing!

This kit exceeds all of my expectations. The instructions were extremely detailed, yet easy to follow, so installation was painless.

Under the hood, the red silicone matches the red lettering on the engine - it looks like a factory upgrade! Also, the polished SS compliments the rest of the engine compartment nicely.

But, the most important part is performance, and did the 6.1 come alive. Now my engine gives off a throaty roar that constantly turns heads. This kit feeds the 6.1 the air that it was begging for. Throttle response is immediate and accurate; just a docile tap of the pedal can send the engine to high RPM's. Plus, the exhaust tone has really improved; it sounds deep and mellow; I almost do not want to get an aftermarket system now (even though I will).

I would recommend this kit to anyone looking for quality, appearance, and performance.

Below are some pictures of the stock intake snorkel (which my intake takes advantage of) and the installed kit.

GRNENVY
08-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Hmm, Does the hood seal off the box or does it come with a lid.

Black_SRT8
08-05-2006, 02:21 PM
The hood seals the box. The box has a black silicone lining that is flush with the closed hood.

GRNENVY
08-05-2006, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the info

blackstallion
08-05-2006, 07:41 PM
This looks like a great kit. I like the fact that it use the lower stock air box which has the intake tube coming from behind the grill to usher in colder air. Do you know who makes the filter and if it needs to be oiled after its cleaned?

Black_SRT8
08-05-2006, 08:32 PM
The top of the filter says "Akimoto," perhaps they make the filter?

Also, the filter comes pre-oiled, but as far as maintenence, I am unsure - I will ask Tbyrne and get back to you.

idealrides
08-06-2006, 12:43 AM
Couple more questions... how does the new airbox top mount to the stock airbox bottom? Also it looks like there's a spot next to the coolant tank mounting arm where engine air can leak into the box, am I wrong or is this hole small/insignificant?
________
EroticaExotica (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/EroticaExotica/)

Black_SRT8
08-06-2006, 01:54 AM
Couple more questions... how does the new airbox top mount to the stock airbox bottom? Also it looks like there's a spot next to the coolant tank mounting arm where engine air can leak into the box, am I wrong or is this hole small/insignificant?

1) If you remove the top of your stock airbox and look at your bottom piece, you will see clips on one side and holes on the other. The Dub Air box has male and female ends that perfectly match, leaving no openings for air.

2) I am not sure the small hole to which you are referring. To be honest, I am confused, what do you consider the "coolant tank mounting arm?" If you are talking about the holes in the box, they are for mounting, which I mentioned above. If you are referring to the tube, it is for the silicone hose. If you are talking about the point where the filter is attached to the box, it is just an illusion, there is no actual hole.

3) Nice avy~

If I am not answering your question correctly, let me know. Additional pictures are not a problem.

idealrides
08-06-2006, 02:21 AM
http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=293&d=1154705950

ok in this picture, at the top left, you can see the coolant tank mounting arm pass over the corner of the airbox. It seems like this is an area where the filter would be sucking in some hot air from the engine bay, as opposed to the stock intake which is 100% sealed from the bay.

If it were up to me I would prefer to trim the mounting arm or reshape the corner of the box in order to get the best seal and coldest air possible. Well maybe I'm being too picky, as clearly this system is the best choice and "colder" than all the other cold air kits on the market, especially the Mopar.
________
Magic Flight Launch Box (http://vaporizers.net/mflb)

Black_SRT8
08-06-2006, 02:31 AM
Great eye, Ideal!

A miniscule amount of engine air may enter into the box. But, IMO, it would be marginalized by the overwhelming amount cold air entering the box. Personally, I am not that finicky, but I totally empathize with your viewpoint.

As you mentioned, a small fabrication would be easy~

idealrides
08-06-2006, 02:36 AM
Thats what I thought. Looks good, thanks for the great writeup, this is the system to get.
________
ass Webcams (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/anal-sex/)

Black_SRT8
08-06-2006, 02:42 AM
^^^ Best $360 I ever spent. I cannot wait to pair this with the Corsa exhaust and a programmer. Then, hopefully, I would be pushing 450 hp, which is pretty good for bolt-ons and warranty retainment.

GRNENVY
08-06-2006, 06:57 AM
This is a very nice setup but I would like to see the main pipe be made out of Plastic for cooling purposes. Also the cfm on the air filter ? you can never have a big enough filter on a big cubic inch motor. It seems like this kit and the airad kit are the ones to beat, now we need a dyno test from an outside source.

^^^ Best $360 I ever spent. I cannot wait to pair this with the Corsa exhaust and a programmer. Then, hopefully, I would be pushing 450 hp, which is pretty good for bolt-ons and warranty retainment.

candyman
08-06-2006, 07:31 AM
This is a very nice setup but I would like to see the main pipe be made out of Plastic for cooling purposes. Also the cfm on the air filter ? you can never have a big enough filter on a big cubic inch motor. It seems like this kit and the airad kit are the ones to beat, now we need a dyno test from an outside source.
I like the airaid because of the tube not being made of metal; but on the picture I have of the airaid box it looks as if there would be a much bigger gap at the coolant tank arm, which would let more hot air in than the DUB. The picture of the airaid unit is not shown installed, so maybe the gap will seal once installed.

08-06-2006, 07:44 AM
I'm not a big fan of retaining any of the stock airbox. The K&N kit I installed does not use the stock air box and uses a plastic intake arm. The K&N unit uses two metal sides with silicone trim to make it air tight against the hood when closed...good part in all this is there is no bottom and you can see directly to the ground.

I'm not a big fan of ram air like with the stock setup expecially when the filter is in an enclosed box...

GRNENVY
08-06-2006, 08:50 AM
You have a good point there if the bottom is wide open that means it's getting cool air. As long as it's sealed off from the engine compartment. Once again is this air filter suffient for this monster motor.
On my 03 Cobra and my other cars we have done testing and all air filters aren't created equal. I just moved to tampa so I don't have access to the dyno jet like I used to.
We need an outside source to dyno these kits.
Is there anyone out there that can step.

OTE=1268]I'm not a big fan of retaining any of the stock airbox. The K&N kit I installed does not use the stock air box and uses a plastic intake arm. The K&N unit uses two metal sides with silicone trim to make it air tight against the hood when closed...good part in all this is there is no bottom and you can see directly to the ground.

I'm not a big fan of ram air like with the stock setup expecially when the filter is in an enclosed box...[/QUOTE]

Black_SRT8
08-06-2006, 09:45 AM
When the bottom is wide open, the filter is more susceptible to dirt and bugs. Moreover, as you know, coldest air is the most advantageous, and a totally enclosed box is the best way to keep air cool, i.e. Volant & Dub Air. Also, I chose the Dub Air because the intake tube has a larger diameter than its plastic competitors.

You guys are correct, plastic is a little better for cooler air. But, metal creates a much deeper and throaty sound. Look at RM360's ride; Randy has been in the filter/airflow business for over a decade, and he chose a metal setup.

1268, as you said, the K&N kit is not even specifically designed for the 6.1. Why would you buy a product that does not perfectly coincide with your vehicle?

One more thing, absolutely no way the Airaid box is totally sealed.

08-06-2006, 09:56 AM
When the bottom is wide open, the filter is more susceptible to dirt and bugs. Moreover, as you know, coldest air is the most advantageous, and a totally enclosed box is the best way to keep air cool, i.e. Volant & Dub Air. Also, I chose the Dub Air because the intake tube has a larger diameter than its plastic competitors.

You guys are correct, plastic is a little better for cooler air. But, metal creates a much deeper and throaty sound. Look at RM360's ride; Randy has been in the filter/airflow business for over a decade, and he chose a metal setup.

1268, as you said, the K&N kit is not even specifically designed for the 6.1. Why would you buy a product that does not perfectly coincide with your vehicle?

One more thing, absolutely no way the Airaid box is totally sealed.

It says on the box and on K&N's sites that it is for our application as well as some 5.7's....same as air-raid. That being said, cutting the shroud should not be part of the deal. I don't know on the box my man....just not convincing.

08-06-2006, 09:59 AM
You have a good point there if the bottom is wide open that means it's getting cool air. As long as it's sealed off from the engine compartment. Once again is this air filter suffient for this monster motor.
On my 03 Cobra and my other cars we have done testing and all air filters aren't created equal. I just moved to tampa so I don't have access to the dyno jet like I used to.
We need an outside source to dyno these kits.
Is there anyone out there that can step.

OTE=1268]I'm not a big fan of retaining any of the stock airbox. The K&N kit I installed does not use the stock air box and uses a plastic intake arm. The K&N unit uses two metal sides with silicone trim to make it air tight against the hood when closed...good part in all this is there is no bottom and you can see directly to the ground.

I'm not a big fan of ram air like with the stock setup expecially when the filter is in an enclosed box...[/QUOTE]

Yep..it's sealed off pretty well. I recognized your screen name now that you mentioned your cobra from either SVTP or ModFords.;) My Cobra has a 12" JLT...we need a JLT setup for these puppies.

Black_SRT8
08-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Remember, metal would be disadvantageous, but stainless steel is actually beneficial. Stainless steel does deter heat; in fact, some people think stainless steel repels heat better than plastic:

" Any of a family of alloy steels usually containing 1030% chromium. The presence of chromium, together with low carbon content, gives remarkable resistance to corrosion and heat. Other elements, such as nickel, molybdenum, titanium, aluminum, niobium, copper, nitrogen, sulfur, phosphorus, and selenium, may be added to increase corrosion resistance to specific environments, enhance resistance to oxidation (see oxidation-reduction), and impart special characteristics."

Also, I will find a post a picture of Randy's setup. He works for Trueflow and designed it himself. A closed box is used in his ride as well.

08-06-2006, 11:21 AM
Remember, metal would be disadvantageous, but stainless steel is actually beneficial. Stainless steel does deter heat; in fact, some people think stainless steel repels heat better than plastic:

" Any of a family of alloy steels usually containing 1030% chromium. The presence of chromium, together with low carbon content, gives remarkable resistance to corrosion and heat. Other elements, such as nickel, molybdenum, titanium, aluminum, niobium, copper, nitrogen, sulfur, phosphorus, and selenium, may be added to increase corrosion resistance to specific environments, enhance resistance to oxidation (see oxidation-reduction), and impart special characteristics."

Also, I will find a post a picture of Randy's setup. He works for Trueflow and designed it himself. A closed box is used in his ride as well.

To be honest, I bought the K&N as a "stop gap" until some other players enter the arena. Having said that, after seeing the other designs I like the idea of it not being totally enclosed in a box..an enclosed box, to me, in and of itself spells restrictive. When some more players get some products out and there is conclusive evidence one way or the other...the top gainer is what I will be buying (it really won't be overwhelming as we all know they will be in the same ballpark performance wise). The Dub Air looks the best...I will give you that.:D

GRNENVY
08-06-2006, 11:29 AM
I'm confused you show a pic of randys car but that doesn't look lke the Dub kit

Black_SRT8
08-06-2006, 11:35 AM

Read carefully, I never said he used the Dub kit. I stated he used a closed box with stainless steel.

candyman
08-06-2006, 11:45 AM
I believe its his own design. Hopefully he will offer them for sale.

GRNENVY
08-06-2006, 03:27 PM
cool.......

Read carefully, I never said he used the Dub kit. I stated he used a closed box with stainless steel.

candyman
08-07-2006, 07:00 AM
Remember, metal would be disadvantageous, but stainless steel is actually beneficial. Stainless steel does deter heat; in fact, some people think stainless steel repels heat better than plastic:.
So why is my cookware stainless steel?

Black_SRT8
08-07-2006, 09:44 AM
So why is my cookware stainless steel?

So it doesn't corrode, warp, or melt!

candyman
08-07-2006, 11:51 AM
So it doesn't corrode, warp, or melt!
True, but it does transfer heat.

Black_SRT8
08-07-2006, 12:00 PM
True, but it does transfer heat.

SS does transfer heat (most everything does), but its properties are resilient to heat.

As far as plastic or SS for the airbox, that is a whole other topic:confused:. I have heard convincing arguments from both sides.

candyman
08-07-2006, 12:51 PM
SS does transfer heat (most everything does), but its properties are resilient to heat.

As far as plastic or SS for the airbox, that is a whole other topic:confused:. I have heard convincing arguments from both sides.
I like the look of the SS, but I think I'll go with the plastic. MO

Black_SRT8
08-08-2006, 06:47 AM
This looks like a great kit. I like the fact that it use the lower stock air box which has the intake tube coming from behind the grill to usher in colder air. Do you know who makes the filter and if it needs to be oiled after its cleaned?

Tbyrne answered this question...

Yes. The filter would be cleaned out, allowed to dry and then reoiled. The K+N Recharger Kit would work fine -

DUB Air
09-16-2006, 02:47 AM
an eZ place to pick up the RSA activation cleaner kit for the funnel ram IV air filter that comes with the DUB~air kit is

http://www.turbofriendly.com/activation.html

www.turbofriendly.com

or any of the other authorized DUB~air dealers listed on www.dub-air.com

Black_SRT8
09-16-2006, 06:31 AM
an eZ place to pick up the RSA activation cleaner kit for the funnel ram IV air filter that comes with the DUB~air kit is

http://www.turbofriendly.com/activation.html

www.turbofriendly.com

or any of the other authorized DUB~air dealers listed on www.dub-air.com

Thanks for the info! It is nice to find a cleaning kit that is optimized for our filter.

AaronC
12-27-2006, 08:39 AM
What are the dimensions of that filter?

Black_SRT8
12-27-2006, 08:53 AM
I will measure when I get home...

jlandbl
12-27-2006, 09:09 AM

Not sure if you folks saw the post in this thread about the stock air box being "killer" or hard to beat for performance.
http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16167#post16167

AaronC
12-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Not sure if you folks saw the post in this thread about the stock air box being "killer" or hard to beat for performance.
http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16167#post16167

Yeah, I have heard people say that. I don't believe it. Why? Becasue it is the same filter size used on EVERY (http://www.knfilters.com/search/applications.aspx?Prod=33-2233) jeep currently made. It is even used on the I4 liberty. This filter was not designed for the SRT8 engine. It is just a generic filter used on everything made. Using this filter saved Jeep money, it was not placed on the jeep as a performance setup.

idealrides
12-27-2006, 10:25 PM
That would make sense except you haven't examined the flow capabilities of the stock intake and when considering the effort the engineers went through to upgrade just about every component of the engine do you really think they would skimp out if it wasn't perfectly good for the job?
________
Live Sex (http://camslivesexy.com/)

Street WK
12-27-2006, 10:35 PM
^But then how do they have dyno charts to prove otherwise?

GotStroke?
12-27-2006, 10:47 PM
That would make sense except you haven't examined the flow capabilities of the stock intake and when considering the effort the engineers went through to upgrade just about every component of the engine do you really think they would skimp out if it wasn't perfectly good for the job?

A: Simply because the guys who design and build aftermarket parts like CAIs, exhausts, cams, etc. are not under the same constraints as a factory engineer. They don't have to worry about emissions, or NVH, or crash test safety requirements. This typically means they can uncork a few HP.
There hasn't been a car made in all of history that the aftermarket couldn't make more power with.
With regard to the last part of your question, money. Every program has a budget, and no program is ever given enough funds.

Black_SRT8
12-28-2006, 12:38 AM
What are the dimensions of that filter?

Overall Length - 6-7/8"
Element Length - 6"

Base Outside Diameter - 18"
Tip Outside Diameter - 16"

GotStroke?
12-28-2006, 01:56 AM
Overall Length - 6-7/8"
Element Length - 6"

Base Outside Diameter - 18"
Tip Outside Diameter - 16"

You didn't happen to measure the distance between the tip of the filter and the side wall of the airbox when installed, basically the amount of extra room we can use to cram in a larger filter? I realize this will probably vary from vehicle to vehicle and install to install but it's late, and I'm beat;)

Thanks