AIRAID Intake System - Initial Impressions [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: AIRAID Intake System - Initial Impressions

AaronC
07-27-2006, 11:01 AM
Here are my impressions.

Design:
It is a pretty well designed piece overall. It uses the stock lower airbox, which is cool since it has the snorkel that runs up to the grill area. The tubing has a large radius bend going into the TB. This is good from a flow standpoint because the air can turn smoothly with less turbulence. This is in contrast to some other designs that I have seen where the tube is simply a silicon hose with a tight radius 90* bend. The kit includes a gasket that seals off the air from the engine bay to keep intake temps cool. Also, I noticed that the inside of the tube was extremely smooth, with almost a polished finish. This is interesting considering the fact that it is plastic. The box section also has a sort of velocity stack that the filter attaches to that necks down from about 5" in diameter to 3.5" over a distance of about 4".

Fitment:
It appears that this kit was designed for the 5.7L HEMI, as the instructions are for it. The large radius bend that helps flow also makes the installation very tight. The tube sits against the radiator shroud. Time will tell if any blemishes are formed from rubbing.

Butt Dyno:
It certainly has increased throttle response. A prod of the throttle now solicits an immediate response. I can also tell that it is giving me more power, but my butt is not precisely calibrated, so I cannot say how much. :)

Audio:
It sounds MEAN. You can hear the whistle from the TB blade cracking open, and the rush of air feeding the cylinders. At WOT it has a definitive ROAR. Very cool.

I will post pictures when I get a chance. It is pretty stealth looking. If bling is your thing, this may not be the choice for you.

Edit: Here is the promo photo of the AIRAID.

ge2
07-27-2006, 11:21 AM
Very nice write up. Thanks for posting!

Black_SRT8
07-27-2006, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the details. Why did you choose Airaid?

AaronC
07-27-2006, 03:00 PM
I chose it mainly becasue I saw pictures of the intake tubing, and that it had a larger radius bend, which improves flow. Here is a picture of the AIRAID intake tube:
http://www.airaid.com/images/310-970-LG.jpg

Now, note the distinct difference in the inlet hose for the GSM intake:
http://www.gsmotorsports.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/CAI-SRT-JEEP-2.jpg

I also considered the K&N Intake, but it did not utilize the stock airbox:
http://kandn.com/images/l/63-1549.jpg

Black_SRT8
07-27-2006, 03:06 PM
That design looks similar to the Dub-Air design, although the Dub-Air is SS with a larger diameter.

AaronC
07-27-2006, 03:25 PM
That design looks similar to the Dub-Air design, although the Dub-Air is SS with a larger diameter.
I guess they are somewhat similar. It is certainly a lot more bling-bling. Here is the Dub Air:

AaronC
07-27-2006, 03:27 PM
Also, FWIW, the tube diameter of the AIRAID is identical to the TB. It matches up directly.

ge2
07-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Very cool. I've used airaid in the past and have always liked their products. I also like the plastic tube as opposed to metal. That said, it's my findings that all of these CAI/ FIPKs are pretty similar, so I just go with the one that looks the coolest to me. GSM won out for me this time around-- hands down-- based on looks only.

MOTV8D
07-27-2006, 11:01 PM
That was great right up and the kind of thing that makes this forum a great resource and just a cool place to visit and BS w/ others.

I do have to agree w/ ge2. All of the CAI kits are good quality and offer about the same level of HP and sound. I feel It really comes down to style, brand loyality, color, and price point.

The aftermarket has really stepped up in most cases and almost any unit you put on your SRT is going to work well and sound good.