Exhaust Cutouts [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Exhaust Cutouts

haplain
07-21-2006, 12:07 AM
Hello everyone,

So today I made the final install which was Quicktime Performance Electric Exhaust cut outs. They are incredible. I mounted the switch so it cannot be seen and they only take about 5 seconds to open all the way. The sounds the engine makes when they are open is unbelievable. The Jeep roars and makes any and all cars sound tame. The cutouts are nice because you can open them partially, all the way or leave them closed based on how long you toggle the switch. I recommend these to anyone they are great. I have a Mopar Cold Air Intake, GSM Fan Mod/Esp, 180 t-stat and the cuts outs. All together the Jeep will haul a**.

www.speedunlimited.com is the website I ordered the parts from.

5.slow
07-21-2006, 12:32 AM
It would be great if you could get some sound clips. I had an electric cutout on my evo and I liked it.

idealrides
07-21-2006, 12:33 AM
I knew it was just a matter of time before someone did this, congratulations!

I was thinking about using the same exact cutouts from QTP but couldn't figure out a way to install them without sacrificing ground clearance due to how close the two exhaust pipes are to each other and considering how large the electric cutouts are.

PLEASE post pictures!
________
Cams Live (http://camslivesexy.com/)

idealrides
07-21-2006, 12:36 AM
5slow, I have a video with a short clip of what it sounds like with no exhaust, click HERE (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2262810) and then click on VIDEO1.
________
Cams Live (http://camslivesexy.com/)

DA BEAST
07-21-2006, 08:36 AM
I tried:) to hear the clip but couldn't find VIDEO 1. If u can help me on this i would appreciate it,thx

DA BEAST
07-21-2006, 08:39 AM
Can u guys tell me what exactly do the cutouts do.:confused: Would it work with an after market exhaust? Thx

idealrides
07-21-2006, 09:30 AM
ok click HERE (http://dubreggae.com/pipes.wmv) for the video
________
Easy vape reviews (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/easy-vape)

jawsk2
07-21-2006, 10:05 AM
Hey, you drive like me!! 7.1 ave. mpg :)
That sounds awesome.

DA BEAST: Cutouts are electric butterfly valves that have a Y. When shut the exhaust flows just like it is now; when open the exhaust dumps out right at that point without passing through the mufflers.

split2112
07-21-2006, 01:02 PM
any performance impact?

z28plus
07-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Hey, you drive like me!! 7.1 ave. mpg :)
That sounds awesome.

Yeah............and no seatbelt on and passing on a two lane road........lol

SRTJeep
07-26-2006, 05:27 AM
Not needed! The exhaust system is designed to work as a back pressure system because of the PCM tuning. None, so equipped vehicles ran at the nats! It doesn't work on this engine, ENGs explained why! Not MO but the SRT ENGs who spoke to me at length at the Nats using the cut away 6.1 Hemi Display Engine and explained how the exhaust system is designed. Gene

jayeepee
07-26-2006, 05:42 AM
SRTJeep - So installing reduced back-pressure aftermarket exhaust is ok but completely removing back-pressure is bad. How much back-pressure reduction is acceptable?

haplain
07-26-2006, 12:41 PM
What are the negative effects of using the cut outs?

idealrides
07-26-2006, 01:15 PM
You should read this article (http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/backpressure.html) on backpressure from Flowmaster.

haplain, please, please, post some pictures of your cutouts!
________
Colorado Medical Marijuana (http://colorado.dispensaries.org/)

haplain
07-30-2006, 10:52 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa/4/wo/bch4sBCoAaDIxiLL.1/9.2.1.2.26.31.97.0.71.0.3.1.1?user=haplain&fpath=Jeep/Cut%20Outs&preview=DSC00711.JPG&templatefn=FileSharing8.html#file0

http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa/4/wo/bch4sBCoAaDIxiLL.1/10.2.1.2.26.31.97.1.71.0.3.1.1?user=haplain&fpath=Jeep/Cut%20Outs&preview=DSC00716.JPG&templatefn=FileSharing8.html#file0

http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa/4/wo/bch4sBCoAaDIxiLL.1/11.2.1.2.26.31.97.2.71.0.3.1.1?user=haplain&fpath=Jeep/Cut%20Outs&preview=DSC00717.JPG&templatefn=FileSharing8.html#file0

http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa/4/wo/bch4sBCoAaDIxiLL.1/12.2.1.2.26.31.97.3.71.0.3.1.1?user=haplain&fpath=Jeep/Cut%20Outs&preview=DSC00719.JPG&templatefn=FileSharing8.html#file0

haplain
07-30-2006, 10:54 PM
Sorry the pics didnt work. I will just let you download them at your own will off my website.

http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa/4/wo/bch4sBCoAaDIxiLL.1/24.2.1.2.26.31.97.1.35.0.1.1.1?user=haplain&fpath=Jeep:Cut%20Outs&templatefn=FileSharing8.html

SRTJeep
07-31-2006, 05:22 AM
Sorry, as I didn't mean to come on so strong. The factory exhaust system is truly well designed stock, and free flowing systems can hurt horesepower and torque. I spent about 30 mins or more talking with a SRT Eng. at the SRT NATS in Topeka about this subject while looking at the 6.1 Hemi cut away display engine at their tent display. Cars running a lot of different exhaust systems ran there. Some systems actually slowed down the 1/4 mile times over the stock systems, this observation (on my part) prompted my query into why? Most late model engines don't like pure open exhaust systems and requires some backpressure for optimum performance. Exhaust tube size is also important in determining how a exhaust system performs. My point is; any system that remains close to stock and doesn't remove all the backpressure works the best. A lot of systems fits this parameter too! Now what system is the best? They had a comment there too! PM me for their answer? Gene

teda
07-31-2006, 06:16 AM
Sorry, as I didn't mean to come on so strong. The factory exhaust system is truly well designed stock, and free flowing systems can hurt horesepower and torque. I spent about 30 mins or more talking with a SRT Eng. at the SRT NATS in Topeka about this subject while looking at the 6.1 Hemi cut away display engine at their tent display. Cars running a lot of different exhaust systems ran there. Some systems actually slowed down the 1/4 mile times over the stock systems, this observation (on my part) prompted my query into why? Most late model engines don't like pure open exhaust systems and requires some backpressure for optimum performance. Exhaust tube size is also important in determining how a exhaust system performs. My point is; any system that remains close to stock and doesn't remove all the backpressure works the best. A lot of systems fits this parameter too! Now what system is the best? They had a comment there too! PM me for their answer? Gene

Good info Gene...hope you don't get overwhelmed with pm's. Inquiring minds want to know.....really appreciate all the effort and great info you put into all your posts. Have seen most of yours and they are great. Thanks!

larryc7777
07-31-2006, 07:01 PM
Hey Gene,
Why not just post the info that you got from them?

SRTJeep
08-01-2006, 01:21 AM
The reason is not to step on any Vendor's toes. They (Eng) were candid in their replies to all our questions. They did comment on several Vendor's Products and Why? Gene

ronald mcglothlin
08-05-2006, 09:09 AM
Just now there is a system on ebay that claims to be Mopar. This is getting away from your cut outs but to the other conversation. They are saying that the system is 2 !/2 smaller than many aftermarket systems. Causes more Questions than answers.

El Calor
09-15-2006, 11:57 AM
I'm thinking about doing the cutouts, what size cutouts did you use?

BBLV
09-15-2006, 06:03 PM
Did you go with the dual 2.5" QTEC's? Is it extremely loud when they are fully open? Do they leak at all (in other words, when they are closed, does it sound like stock)?

BBLV
07-30-2007, 12:44 AM
Bringing up an old thread. Anyone have some insight to the previous thread?

Any long-term exhaust cutout experiences on the Jeep SRT8?

Go~RillaWRX
07-31-2007, 07:25 AM
^ good questions. I am thinking about doing cutouts on the jeep after the first mufflers, just for track, and scaring small children.

holeshot
07-31-2007, 11:32 AM
i did the quicktime cutout on my 03 1500 hemi, im trying to figure out how to upload the sound clip. as a performance mod dont even spend the money, but if youre looking to scare the sht out of a someone on a bicycle out of the bike lane into your lane, or the beamer with the convertable down, theres no other comparible fun. i moved my cat a foot downstream so i could run open headers, and its loud as hell, gets a lot of attention. Ive made several passes at fontanna speedway trying different possitions including leaving it closed on the launch and gradually opening it and lost a few tenths each time. off the line with it open you notice a big difference, very boggy you need the backpressure just like most articles say. im actually considering doing them on the jeep, just worried about clearance issues like other people. also on a quick note the brass butterfly that opens and closes has 2 machine screws that need to have loctite put on them before you install it. ive lost one of the screws 2 times before i had the sense to fix it permantly. its scary trying to limp youre truck back home without giving it too much gas in town all the while praying not to see a cop.

JTSRT
07-31-2007, 03:01 PM
Hello everyone,

So today I made the final install which was Quicktime Performance Electric Exhaust cut outs. They are incredible. I mounted the switch so it cannot be seen and they only take about 5 seconds to open all the way. The sounds the engine makes when they are open is unbelievable. The Jeep roars and makes any and all cars sound tame. The cutouts are nice because you can open them partially, all the way or leave them closed based on how long you toggle the switch. I recommend these to anyone they are great. I have a Mopar Cold Air Intake, GSM Fan Mod/Esp, 180 t-stat and the cuts outs. All together the Jeep will haul a**.

www.speedunlimited.com is the website I ordered the parts from.

I'm guessing you have factory exhaust because when I had my engine work / headers, etc. I tried to get Josh at HHP to install them, he said there was not enough straight pipe to fit it and it would end up being a costly custom job so I had to do without.

BlackedOut
07-31-2007, 05:08 PM
The only cut outs ive heard of were from a guy at the SRT Track Experience in Vegas. His website is www.rolloutedition.com

Here is the direct link to the cut outs: http://www.rolloutedition.com/shop/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=12&ccSID8643dd60547e611052421a6659ed64d2=9c7adedc7af5 64dba6c8d758d0295dca

I have no idea if they are any good, just letting you all know.

AirForce Hemi
12-02-2007, 11:31 PM
Please dont bash me.

Just wanted to know if anyone had any sound clips and time proof in any performance from cut-outs. Also what size QTP is needed? 2.5?

Thanks

GotStroke?
12-03-2007, 12:30 AM
I'm not sure anyone's ever proven how effective a cut out is on one of these things. As in track or dyno results.

AirForce Hemi
12-03-2007, 02:15 AM
I'm not sure anyone's ever proven how effective a cut out is on one of these things. As in track or dyno results.

Hmmmm.......maybe you should test them out. ;) Or maybe I should. :cool: I've seen a vid on street fire where a owner of a 300C SRT put cut-out on his ride and it sounded pretty wicked. Dont know if it helped of not. I'll look more into it. Also which size should I get if I go through with it? The 2.5"?

GotStroke?
12-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Hmmmm.......maybe you should test them out. ;) Or maybe I should. :cool: I've seen a vid on street fire where a owner of a 300C SRT put cut-out on his ride and it sounded pretty wicked. Dont know if it helped of not. I'll look more into it. Also which size should I get if I go through with it? The 2.5"?

I've never heard a cut out that sounded better than my full Sworks exhaust;) Factory stuff is 2.75" in the catback.

bridam
12-03-2007, 04:28 PM
I noticed that your tank was full. Must be a rare event

AirForce Hemi
12-06-2007, 07:13 AM
I've never heard a cut out that sounded better than my full Sworks exhaust;) Factory stuff is 2.75" in the catback.

2.75" before the cats?

Cdog
12-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Guys do these go BEFORE the cats or after? Is our whole system 2.75"

If so, I would need two of the these cut-out units, each placed in straight section either before or after the cats, correct?

AirForce Hemi
12-13-2007, 02:21 AM
Guys do these go BEFORE the cats or after? Is our whole system 2.75"

They go before the cats. Also the size is the same question I've asked earlier.

3grx7
01-09-2008, 06:02 AM
Anuone have some more experience with cutouts? These sound amazing! Also, would it have a similiar effect if put after the cats? It may possibly give some more back pressure and it would be easier to "undo" by simply changing the cat-back system.

OneBadJeep
01-09-2008, 09:04 AM
Hey what size did you order? Will you take a pic of your install! I'm about to order mine.....I can't wait to get mine in. BUT I WILL SAY THIS. I have had them on my cars/trucks and my friends. They will fall apart. They actaully suck....Just dont play with them that much and you will be fine....either way im still going to put them on my jeep....

veyronSRT8@TTCreations
01-09-2008, 09:52 AM

sure the backpressure is an issue, but like we all know, we can mode the exhaust quite a bit without it affecting the backpressure negatively (ex. we get better performance with certain larger diameter pipes when compared with stock) however it is true we can lose backpressure which in turn can affect performance negatively. I guess it would be interesting to know just how much backpressure is lost when using a cutout??? i wouldn't think too much, however i could be wrong. i am considering a cutout, but only for the sole purpose of having a jeep that sounds like the end of the world is coming when the cutout is open, via electric cutout ;) if i am concerned about backpressure while at the track then i have the option of closing the cutout so i guess my point is that an electric cutout, while open may, reduce backpressure, but if you can get that pressure back at the push of a button what does it matter if you have a cutout or not????

p.s. let's get some dyno results here....

AirForce Hemi
01-09-2008, 03:22 PM
p.s. let's get some dyno results here....

+1 I want to see some numbers.

OneBadJeep
01-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Using cutouts on my trucks and suv's, I already know the answer. Its going to be slower. We need back pressure for our heavy jeeps. The Engine will probaly dyno more but it won't be faster. It is only for the cool factor. It might be faster on the highway but thats about it...Who in Dallas wants to race and test this out? Im Down....

TutsSRT8
03-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Does anyone know the correct size to order? Is there a link i could look up to order directly?

bridam
03-06-2008, 09:55 PM
This is not a performance modification but a sound modification

havatekila
11-07-2008, 12:54 PM
...my research here in Montreal suggests putting the cut outs AFTER the cats as this will maintain close to the usual backpressure as well it will stop the check engine light from going on. From what I have been told, the exhaust sensors will light up the check engine light if they are installed BEFORE the cats. Still waiting for an answer with respect to what the tube size is between the cats and mufflers?...does anybody know for sure???

chippy
11-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Guys, this is really old stuff DHM cutouts (low profile) are the way to go and as I posted a long long time ago when open they really effect bottom end performance....I like the sound at high RPM.

OneBadJeep
11-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Guys, this is really old stuff DHM cutouts (low profile) are the way to go and as I posted a long long time ago when open they really effect bottom end performance....I like the sound at high RPM.

Those blow even more, I installed some on a CTSV and they would seal at all. They sounded like crap at idle (leaky sounding) and then they fell apart later on down the road...I believe he chunked them.....My brothers Qtec just fell of his Tahoe AGAIN..... Its because these big V8s vibrate all the little screws loose.. .

JTSRT
11-12-2008, 08:28 PM
I have the DMH cutouts, they do leak but I was told they are selling them with a tube of sealant instead of gaskets. I have a massively cammed 426 that sounds extremely nasty. I've gotten similar 0-60 times open and closed but with the bigger CI it may not make as much difference at the bottom end. highway I don't notice any difference. I think the sound is so overwhelming that you tend to listen rather than feel the power. LOL