Stock muffler cut-a-way... [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Stock muffler cut-a-way...

AaronC
07-20-2006, 11:08 AM
I found these on another forum, and thought I would show them. Talk about restrictive! It is pretty clear to me that SRT was under some pretty tight sound level restrictions. Talk about killing laminar flow and velocity! These things are awful.

candyman
07-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Thanks. I ordered my B&B exhaust on Monday.

AaronC
07-20-2006, 01:59 PM
Yeah, I ordered mine right after seeing these pix.

Sgt Stanko
07-20-2006, 07:45 PM
I found these on another forum, and thought I would show them. Talk about restrictive! It is pretty clear to me that SRT was under some pretty tight sound level restrictions. Talk about killing laminar flow and velocity! These things are awful.

Evidently you did not read far enough. Even as "awful" as you think they are, there is only 4hp difference between that exhaust and a set of Zoomers in mid range and EXACTLY the same at high rpm.

Between stock and racing cores........the same 2-4 hp and all that info is posted. Im not saying Corsa or B&B will give the same results.......but flow thru cores are as flow through as it gets. Corsa may have "tuned" their exhaust and those will be dynoed shortly.

DYNO"S DON'T LIE!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

AaronC
07-21-2006, 08:25 AM
4HP at the wheels from one mod alone is a lot on an AWD Auto Tranny vehicle, and I suspect that it will make a lot more then that.

I don’t know how familiar you are with volumetric efficiency in an internal combustion engine, but the easier that gases can move in and out of the motor the more power you can make. This is why an intake and exhaust can give you more horsepower. The more turbulent the gases are the more resistance or backpressure is exerted. The purpose of a flow through muffler and mandrel bent tubing is that laminar flow can occur throughout the system. In this muffler design I can see three locations where laminar flow would be completely lost.

Besides, shouldn’t you be pimping Corsa somewhere?

aperformance
07-21-2006, 11:26 AM
4HP at the wheels from one mod alone is a lot on an AWD Auto Tranny vehicle, and I suspect that it will make a lot more then that.

I don’t know how familiar you are with volumetric efficiency in an internal combustion engine, but the easier that gases can move in and out of the motor the more power you can make. This is why an intake and exhaust can give you more horsepower. The more turbulent the gases are the more resistance or backpressure is exerted. The purpose of a flow through muffler and mandrel bent tubing is that laminar flow can occur throughout the system. In this muffler design I can see three locations where laminar flow would be completely lost.

Hey Aaron, I went to the trouble to cut away the system and post the photos and I couldn't agree with you more. Plus Dyno's are for tuning and along with intake, exhaust and a programmer the big gains with aftermarket products will shine over the stock set up....

Sgt Stanko
07-21-2006, 04:39 PM

Wow, thanks for all that basic 101 engine pump theory!! Holy moly!! You dont know how valuable that newbi information is to me and others............. but alas you talking thru your muffler, 4hp for 2 seconds will not improve much.......dyno's dont lie!

HEY.....dont you have hall monitor duty somewhere?

AaronC
07-22-2006, 10:08 PM
Wow, thanks for all that basic 101 engine pump theory!! Holy moly!! You dont know how valuable that newbi information is to me and others............. but alas you talking thru your muffler,4hp for 2 seconds will not improve much.......dyno's dont lie!

HEY.....dont you have hall monitor duty somewhere?

No problem, I like to help n00bs like you out.
By the way, the zoomers made 12HP on the dyno.

You are Trolling my thread, not vice versa. I wish the mods here would put you in timeout like they did on the other board.

Sgt Stanko
07-22-2006, 10:47 PM

You are Trolling my thread, not vice versa. I wish the mods here would put you in timeout like they did on the other board.

Wrong newbi.....that dyno sheet was my truck and it did not make 12 hp. Ron doctored it and told me to keep quiet. What you see is the difference it made with the Magnaflow whic was 12 down. Even Ron stated that previously. So you have no idea what the **** your talking about clown. I'm not the only truck he dynoed and had the same result.....so you really need to shut your muffler hole.....it's sputtering.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Sgt Stanko
07-22-2006, 11:36 PM

BTW wanna be......nobody put me in time out on the "other" thread. Man, you show real credibility not knowing what your talking about. You read something in Car and Driver while sitting in the crapper and pontificate to the rest of us useless information about tire sizes......whooaaa now that was informative!! How long did it take for you to absorb and repeat that.

If you dont have real world information to share or some background to back it up you should stay up on the porch and watch.......and stop posting useless little pictures of your hot air intake.

Hey I have a little device you can put in that thing to spin the hot air, it's worth 12hp and it comes with a dyno sheet you can stare and drool over!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Shooter_t1
07-23-2006, 03:07 AM
Hey I have a little device you can put in that thing to spin the hot air, it's worth 12hp and it comes with a dyno sheet you can stare and drool over!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hey Sgt,
Don't forget the increased MPG those little gizmo's were supposed to provide.:D

AaronC
07-23-2006, 10:29 AM
Geez! Get out of my thread you useless little troll.

Sgt Stanko
07-23-2006, 12:12 PM
Geez! Get out of my thread you useless little troll.

I have a one eyed troll for you.....:eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh let me impress you now Mr.Subaru......driving daddy's little C32

Current;
2006 jeep srt8
2006 amg e55 kleeman
2006 HD 120cid fuel injection 138hp/130tq

Recent
2003 bmw m5
2006 SS Trail Blazer
2005 HD 109 cid Zippers
1999 HD show bike 106 cid
1992 Eliminator jet Drag Boat 604 cid Ford Yates Head, 1100hp/1000 tq
I drove it 8.2 secs...128mph:eek: :eek: :eek:

See ya little man!!

AaronC
07-23-2006, 12:48 PM
See? You are such a troll. Who are you trying to impress? I posted the cars I had so people would know my history. Daddy's car? You know nothing about me. How dare you assume that I was ever handed anything!

JayC
07-23-2006, 01:13 PM
Please behave.. I really dont want to have to become involved in this crap...

First and only warning :)

AaronC
07-23-2006, 01:33 PM
Please behave.. I really dont want to have to become involved in this crap...

First and only warning :)
Thank you Jay!

Anyway, to get this train back on track, it would be interesting to put that muffler on a flowbench and see how much backpressure it would produce.

Sgt Stanko
07-23-2006, 05:39 PM
Thank you Jay!

Anyway, to get this train back on track, it would be interesting to put that muffler on a flowbench and see how much backpressure it would produce.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

AaronC
07-23-2006, 10:28 PM
You know, I was looking at the design of the resonators, and they look very similar to the way that Corsa designs their mufflers. It is too bad that they did not use the same design on the muffer.

Adrenaline406
07-24-2006, 12:21 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

... please excuse the language but you're being a complete **** man... give it a break... what is your issue (thats retorical, I had to explain, you seem to catch on rather slow) Just drop it please. :twocents:

But yea those shots are def showing some bad planning... The forth picture is getting to me... the use of that center hole is escaping me...

Best Regards,
Cameron

Sgt Stanko
07-24-2006, 11:32 AM
... please excuse the language but you're being a complete **** man... give it a break... what is your issue (thats retorical, I had to explain, you seem to catch on rather slow) Just drop it please. :twocents:

But yea those shots are def showing some bad planning... The forth picture is getting to me... the use of that center hole is escaping me...

Best Regards,
Cameron

I'm going to drop it, aside from my perception of who started this thread, my issue is, I dont like con artists! Those pictures were posted on another site to justify a manufactures position. I dont care for vendors who lie, and if I can help some poor sap from being ripped off with unethical, misleading information I will do so........that my friend is my problem!!!!!

Some of you sheep will be led to slaughter and the ones who can interpet the information will not.

Regards

method
07-24-2006, 12:07 PM
Thank you Jay!

or even a mockup for FFA analysis would be interesting. Do you have any internal and external dimensions for reference?

AaronC
07-24-2006, 02:33 PM
aside from my perception of who started this thread
Any perceptions you may have are completly unfounded. You dont know anything about my background, my knowledge, nor my experience.

pickinicholas
07-24-2006, 03:38 PM
I'm going to drop it, aside from my perception of who started this thread, my issue is, I dont like con artists!

Where do you get off talking about Aaron like that?! Have you EVER met the guy? Have you ever had a intelligent discussion with him? How can you have a "perception" about him when you don't know the guy from Adam?

I bet, that you, being the "flaunt my money" little biatch you are portraying, took a look at his previous cars and thought... "Hmmm, he owned a Subaru and a Honda... He surley doesn't know anything about Fluid Dynamics..." And so, you see him as a "newbi" (which in internet lingo isn't even spelt correctly) that doesn't know what works on domestics because he was into import cars.

Do you have a degree in Fluid Dynamics, or Propulsion engineering? If not, you need to pack up all the crap you are talking about Aaron and be on your merry way.

I have known Aaron for about 2 years now, and he is one of the most intelligent people I know, and even though Subaru's are "rice"... he is a well known and respected member/founder of one of the biggest WRX forums on the internet. He is in no means a n00b!

It is really common sence that tells you; If you put something in the way of airflow that it will hinder said flow. It will also create more backpressure, which isn't very good on any engine (though some backpressure needs to be retained in a naturally aspirated setup, but this is done with header setup and tube size)

So, please go and troll another thread...

Best regards,
Nick Hilton

ge2
07-24-2006, 04:05 PM
For Pete's sake fellas. Let's move on.

And for the record, I don't believe anyone was calling Aaron a con artist. He was calling the gentleman who sold him the Zoomer's a con artist.

Sgt Stanko
07-24-2006, 08:37 PM
For Pete's sake fellas. Let's move on.

And for the record, I don't believe anyone was calling Aaron a con artist. He was calling the gentleman who sold him the Zoomer's a con artist.

Thanks ge2, at least some know how to read and interpet what they are reading. Wanna be propeller heads, can not.......... and need spell check as well. If you gentlemen read my dyno thread you would know that a Suburu shop assisted me in dyno testing various exhaust designs and cai's, etc...I have nothing against WXI's.....IMO they are an extremely efficient design.

Spelt???? Sence???

I rest my case..........see ya newbi's.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

teda
07-24-2006, 09:09 PM
Thanks ge2, at least some know how to read and interpet what they are reading. Wanna be propeller heads, can not.......... and need spell check as well. If you gentlemen read my dyno thread you would know that a Suburu shop assisted me in dyno testing various exhaust designs and cai's, etc...I have nothing against WXI's.....IMO they are an extremely efficient design.

Spelt???? Sence???

I rest my case..........see ya newbi's.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Hey Sgt.....Now I'm not calling you out or anything...not dissing you, and I don't want to be a propeller head....But regarding spell check, how about SUBARU? What do you think?

Sgt Stanko
07-24-2006, 09:26 PM
[QUOTE=teda]Hey Sgt.....Now I'm not calling you out or anything...not dissing you, and I don't want to be a propeller head....But regarding spell check, how about SUBARU?

Ya got me boss!!!! I was typing too fast????

DRIHEAT
07-24-2006, 09:34 PM
It was, however, the correct Japanese spelling.:D

pickinicholas
07-24-2006, 11:35 PM
Sorry, I was typing fast too...

What the hell is a propeller head? Oh your cool now! You can call names.

teda
07-24-2006, 11:57 PM
[QUOTE=teda]Hey Sgt.....Now I'm not calling you out or anything...not dissing you, and I don't want to be a propeller head....But regarding spell check, how about SUBARU?

Ya got me boss!!!! I was typing too fast????

Not only do you disseminate al lot of good info Sgt., and put a lot of effort into your projects, which you share with these sights, you still havn't lost that sense of humor. And, I've never seen you back off from standing up for your opinion.

teda
07-25-2006, 12:01 AM
It was, however, the correct Japanese spelling.:D

According to who? Lived and worked there for 3 years, and unless it was written out in Katakana or Kanji, I don't recall seeing it spelled that way.

But I've been wrong before. At least a few times.

This is from the list of company etymologies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru

Now everyone.....back to muffler cut-a-ways.......

larryc7777
07-25-2006, 05:03 AM
Wrong newbi.....that dyno sheet was my truck and it did not make 12 hp. Ron doctored it and told me to keep quiet. What you see is the difference it made with the Magnaflow whic was 12 down. Even Ron stated that previously. So you have no idea what the **** your talking about clown. I'm not the only truck he dynoed and had the same result.....so you really need to shut your muffler hole.....it's sputtering.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Are you saying that the Magnaflow exhaust for the GC SRT8(16709) made 12 HP LESS than the stock exhaust?

aperformance
07-25-2006, 10:16 AM
Are you saying that the Magnaflow exhaust for the GC SRT8(16709) made 12 HP LESS than the stock exhaust?

It wasn't the complete cat back system Magnaflow offers it was just one of there truck mufflers welded in line with the stock pipes. It just didn't work well in that situation.

SRTJeep
07-26-2006, 03:47 AM
I have all the latest information on the exhaust systems and the discussions with the Engs at the SRT Nationals. It will surprise you on the actual results, not vendor hype. Several major modified cars ran there, saw the results personally, it will surprise you. My MF muffler equipped JGC actually ran as fast as a pure stocker there so no HP loss at all! Gene