HIGHER TIRES/LOWER SPRINGS....tastes great...less filling!!! [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: HIGHER TIRES/LOWER SPRINGS....tastes great...less filling!!!

notsag
07-12-2006, 08:39 PM
I feel the side wall height of the OEM tires is too small and at the same time the gap between the top of the tire and the fenders is too big.

Im thinking of going with a set of Michellins 275/55/20s that have a side wall that is 1.5 " higher than the oem 255/45s (but have the same width).

This obviously leads to the vehicule being 1.5" higher. To compenstate the added hight Im thinking of cutting .75" off both the top and bottom of the springs, (since there is no lowering kit out there and as such the JC SRT8 is already lowered 1" vs the standard JC non SRT8.)

This will give me a better looking ride, (I think), granted I will diminish a bit in handling response but gain in comfort , (as the oem tires are run flats are much harder than the Michellins).

Any comments or suggestions. What do you think?

ge2
07-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Are you going to run the same size tire on all 4 corners instead of staying with the staggered sizes?

Also, you'll get lots of different opinions on cutting springs, depending on who you talk to, but for me personally, there are a few things I'll never do (either again, or for the first time), and cutting factory springs is one off them. With SEMA around the corner, and the SRT GC into their second year of production, lowering springs will be available shortly.

K Hamlet
07-13-2006, 11:28 AM
I feel the side wall height of the OEM tires is too small and at the same time the gap between the top of the tire and the fenders is too big.

I´m thinking of going with a set of Michellins 275/55/20´s that have a side wall that is 1.5 " higher than the oem 255/45´s (but have the same width).

Any comments or suggestions. What do you think?

I think it would look great, I don't know about lowering though, there is not much rear travel as it is. It will look lowered with taller tires anyway.
Make sure the tire's OD is the same front and rear. If you don't you will jack the allwheel drive. You will loose a little low end (you would be changing overall gearing) but gain a little high end. Also you would need to go to the dealer to get your speedo recalabrated, until the aftermarket comes up with a reprogrammer.
I want to do the same thing except go with 22's. But I cannot find anything I like better than the stock 20's yet.

You can see Idealrides GC SRT8 at this site, he went with 1.5" taller Toyo's
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2262810/2

Good luck and keep us updated with pics.

Krush
07-13-2006, 12:47 PM
You gotta go with bigger rims. If you just increase the tire size and lower it an inch your not going to get the effect you want, it's still gonna look like the wheels are to small (IMHO). Now, throw some 24's on there, lower it an inch, and you'll get the effect you're lookin for. :D

idealrides
07-13-2006, 03:52 PM
with these tires there's about a 1/4" of clearance between the front tire and the splash guard at certain steering angles. Not much room for going even wider or taller unless you want to start chopping away at the fender.

The pictures on cardomain are restricted in size, and I think we can all agree that bigger is better :)

http://6pod.com/idealrides/SRT8/02236.jpg
________
bondage girl Webcams (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/fetish/bdsm/)

jawsk2
07-13-2006, 04:19 PM
The pictures on cardomain are restricted in size, and I think we can all agree that bigger is better :)

I completely agree!
If you get a chance, can you send me a fullsize picture or two of the front 3/4 shots on the beach? I'm really wanting to pull the JEEP off the front and want to show my wife how badass it looks.

Ken
jawsk2@hotmail.com

notsag
07-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Even though the front tires have a different size than the rears the diameter is the same. The only difference is the wheel width, (9" front, 10" back). This said I think they are not stagered if stagered means differrent diameter or different width tires ?!?!).

Its clear that I should not touch the springs. Thanks all for the heads up on this as well as all your other comments.

As soon as I have pics Ill post them.

ge2
07-14-2006, 12:48 PM
You are correct.... the OD of the tires are nearly identical (and need to remain that way for the sake of the AWD system). Staggered (in the case of our SRT GCs) would refer to different widths.
My new wheels are 22x9.5 and 22x10.5, so still staggered, but by adjusting the tire size, I'll still be within a fraction of an inch of identical OD.

ekool
07-15-2006, 01:26 AM
Dont forget there is a free photo gallery here, and there are no image size restrictions.

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/gallery

PhoenixGTS
07-16-2006, 10:13 AM
If you cut that much off of your springs you might as we just take them and the shocks out and save the weight as you will be setting on the bump stops and will not have any travel anyway. Rear suspension travel is an issue with these trucks.