Cutting out the resonator... [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Cutting out the resonator...

jerry
07-11-2006, 07:32 AM
Someone I know said to cut out the resonator and add a piece of pipe. Should be a little more free flowing with added sound without changing the exhaust for $1,000. The job should be about $50 at an exhaust shop. He said if you do not like the sound, you can just have the resonator welded back in(as long as you kept it). Has anyone tried this.....

idealrides
07-11-2006, 07:43 AM
the exhaust system has catalytic converters, then one big muffler (dual in dual out) then there is one resonator on each of the two tailpipes in the rear.

Are you talking about the muffler or the resonators?
________
nice tits Cams (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/medium-tits/)

Lil0ne
07-11-2006, 01:40 PM
sry for being a nub but.. a resonator does what?

-- Sal

2MCHPSI
07-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Doing that would offer better flow, but at the cost of hearing EVERYTHING inside the cabin. To me, not worth it. An easier thing to do if your looking for performance, is just adding an electronic cutout, and wiring a switch inside the cabin to open/close the cutout.

The resonator helps keep the exhaust noise out of the cabin.

Grip Grip
07-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Someone I know said to cut out the resonator and add a piece of pipe. Should be a little more free flowing with added sound without changing the exhaust for $1,000. The job should be about $50 at an exhaust shop. He said if you do not like the sound, you can just have the resonator welded back in(as long as you kept it). Has anyone tried this.....

I did exactly what you are talking about and it made a great difference. Removing the two resonators near the tailpipes will only mildly increase the volume and also doesn't overwhelm the interior with noise and vibration.

Go for it, you will be glad you did.

Grip

BahnBlastR
07-12-2006, 01:29 PM
I did exactly what you are talking about and it made a great difference. Removing the two resonators near the tailpipes will only mildly increase the volume and also doesn't overwhelm the interior with noise and vibration.

Go for it, you will be glad you did.

Grip

What is the difference in tone and decibles at idle and at WOT? It looks like a pretty straight-forward procedure.

Thanks!! MJ

Inferno SRT8
07-13-2006, 06:04 PM

Do it that is the first thing I did and got Grip to do it also, I see him grinning still from here!