2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Revealed [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Revealed

AutoGuide.com
04-20-2011, 06:21 AM
http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/d/362657-3/2012-jeep-grand-cherokee_100346987_l.jpg

Jeep‘s previous generation Grand Cherokee spawned an on-road performance version from the Chrysler Group’s SRT division and ever since the new GC’s debut the same has been expected of the latest and greatest Jeep – especially since the reveal of the Charger SRT8 and it’s new 6.4-liter V8 engine.

Delivering a successor, Jeep has just officially announced a new Grand Cherokee SRT8 for the 2012 model year, sporting that massive V8 powerplant and 465-hp. Paired with a the brand’s AWD setup (which includes a traction control system for Auto, Sport, Track, Tow and Snow) it sprints to 60 mph in just 4.8 seconds. There are paddle shifters to help you stay in control of all that power, plus a high-tech stability control system can distribute 100 percent of the engine’s torque to just one wheel.

Riding on 20-inch wheels there’s the requisite bad-boy bodywork, while handling is further improved with an adaptive suspension. And to slow the behemoth down is a set of massive Brembo brakes.

Inside, upgrades include some more luxurious touches with leather and suede as well as faux carbon fiber trim pieces, as well as a large touch-screen display. There’s even a 19-speaker, 825 watt sound system – apparently the audio equivalent to the 6.4-liter V8′s power.

Plus, the SRT8 retains a 5,000 lb tow rating so you can embarrass a lot of sports sedans while towing your boat.

Get more: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 at AutoGuide.com (http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2011/04/2012-jeep-grand-cherokee-srt8-revealed-new-york-auto-show-preview.html)

rha600
04-20-2011, 11:21 AM
I've been looking at these photos all day long and I can't figure out if I like it or not. Def not enough to dump mine for a new one, but I do like the new wheels. Wonder if they would fit on our trucks.

Raist103
04-20-2011, 01:50 PM
dont like the wheels or exhaust but like the hood and interior guess 2013 maybe ill get one.

evperry
04-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Im getting it.....But I dont love the new look, it looks soft....

Now that new Charger looks as mean as a car can get.

SILVERBACK
04-20-2011, 03:48 PM
It lost it's aggresive look, im keeping my 2010. 0 to 60 in 4.8. WTF!!! I thought it was going to be faster, not slower. Im sure it will be a nice ride but it has nothing on my 2010.

cliff sims
04-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Keeping my 2010. Like the styling much more and the centre exhaust is a must have.

WBSRT
04-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Those rims look like a B@#$ to clean, I like it in black , everything but the rear end, The LED's up from are sweet, Paddles Sweet, I'll have to take a closer look . Doesnt look like we can debage the rear, Sucks, my Guess is a new piece will have to be made from one of our trusted vendors, Hint Hint !!!

Zeus
04-20-2011, 05:17 PM
I'll have to come back to it in a few days & see how I'm feel'n it then. See'n it in person probably will make a difference. As of now, hate'n the rims, missing the hood intake in the concept pics, would have liked it lower & is ours not 0-60/4.7 making the new one slower? Interior looks good, front end looks pimp.

shorestyle031
04-20-2011, 05:26 PM
This with the old rims will look very nice. Plus with a tune it will be a crazy beast.

Gibby
04-21-2011, 06:54 AM
Waited to buy an SRT8 until the 2012 was finally revealed. I'm going stick with a previous generation model. This new one does not have the presence and style of the old ones and very limited new features to make me want to pay the full price of a 2012 model.

k4u2luz2
04-21-2011, 07:02 AM
Totally annoyed! I have tried to look at it from a few different angles at it seems that the SRT goup just went soft. Guess my next SUV (if something happens to mine) willl be a Durango R/T. With BMW and Porsche going big with their latest SUV's, I can't help but think that Chrysler just flat out let us all down.

Very disappointing!

shorestyle031
04-21-2011, 08:02 AM
Totally annoyed! I have tried to look at it from a few different angles at it seems that the SRT goup just went soft. Guess my next SUV (if something happens to mine) willl be a Durango R/T. With BMW and Porsche going big with their latest SUV's, I can't help but think that Chrysler just flat out let us all down.

Very disappointing!

You have to understand the price on the BMW and Porsche SUV's. They have to make it affordable because the target market is not going to buy a 60k jeep.

ARSENAL670
04-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Looks like garbage. Going to have to find me a used '10 after i sell the C5...they ruined the style completely....had a feeling they were going to do this...

evperry
04-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Was this link posted yet?

YouTube - 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 8 - 2011 New York Auto Show

ARSENAL670
04-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Where's that barfy smiley when you need it? *puke*

xxxxxxxgumbee
04-21-2011, 03:29 PM
Here's the reveal video (7 minutes in):
http://www.host4video.com/nyias2011/jeep/

I think this video shows a more aggressive presence than all of the press pictures. I am however, disappointed that the performance numbers Chrysler is claiming for the recently announced 300 are either identical or better (ex: 1/4 mile).

a-kon
04-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Bottom line, park this one next to the old one in a parking lot and no one will give two ****s about the old one. Fact. I love the old one for its time but the reality is this is the new kid on the block. Yeah SRT sold out in a few areas, namely the lack of center exhaust and wheels. I honestly cannot imagine who in the hell designed those wheels and who in the hell approved them. THey are worse than the razor wheels for the viper. Biggest flop ever. Someone needs to lock the Sebring design team up and never let them design another wheel!

ARSENAL670
04-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Looks even worse in the reveal video. I just vomited in my mouth-again.

Gibby
04-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Bottom line, park this one next to the old one in a parking lot and no one will give two ****s about the old one. Fact. I love the old one for its time but the reality is this is the new kid on the block. Yeah SRT sold out in a few areas, namely the lack of center exhaust and wheels. I honestly cannot imagine who in the hell designed those wheels and who in the hell approved them. THey are worse than the razor wheels for the viper. Biggest flop ever. Someone needs to lock the Sebring design team up and never let them design another wheel!

Completely disagree and you're claim of "Fact." is actually opinion. I just bought my 1st gen TODAY because I completely dislike this new one. I even WAITED until this new generation was revealed before I jumped into a JGC SRT8, and chose the 1st gen without even flinching.

toothmechanic
04-21-2011, 06:37 PM
I love the way the front looks...is that a camera in the lower facia or an LED fog light??? When you look at it from the sides it sure does not have the aggresive look that our body style has. :( :( I am bummed they did away with the center exhaust...:mad::mad: I know they did that for the towing capabilities that our rigs don't have...well, some of ours do with some modifications. I would think that would have been a decision point in there to do away with those or to keep them. The rear does look european as all of the new suvs are going to. I am excited, however, about the dampening suspension and what that will do for the ride...sounds interesting. Also, the improved interior looks cool and the stereo option looks awesome!!! I don't know, I am torn right now whether I like it or not...I guess it will be up to the individual to decide. I like what he said about the limiting speeds to 150...but you may know somebody!!! Good one!!!

TXBLU
04-21-2011, 09:10 PM
I, for one, like it. I wish they had an active link to "build your own" that showed what all the options are, and listed MSRP. I may have to seriously consider getting one. I can see 500HP/TQ being very easy to get out of that thing. I wonder how much different the front suspension is, and if it susceptable to the same 70+ MPH vibes of the Gen I rigs.

Anyway, I can see myself in one of those, if they had a nice medium/dark blue paint choice.

Eric

cfm56
04-22-2011, 02:04 AM
not to fond of the walrus tusk looking chrome strips on the lower portion of the front bumper cover....those need to be redesigned or painted the same color of the vehicle. The red paint scheme does not look that great....if it had different wheels it might look better IMO.

Kinda curious what a black or graphite grey paint scheme would look like in person and with different wheels. Whoever designed those wheels needs to be replaced! those look like garbage and seriously make the new jeep look "softer".

JoeBaLLz
04-22-2011, 06:04 AM
I Do not like it! Yes I do need to see it in person, Might grow on me but I agree so far the impression I get is that it lost the aggressive look! Also the center exhaust was a signature who cares about towing! Point is does not look BEAST!

scrapiron7
04-22-2011, 06:30 AM
Bottom line, park this one next to the old one in a parking lot and no one will give two ****s about the old one. My opinion.

Fixed it for ya.

xxxxxxxgumbee
04-22-2011, 10:29 AM
My feeble attempt at PS.

http://www.gumbee.com/treats/jeep/silver.jpg
http://www.gumbee.com/treats/jeep/black.jpg
http://www.gumbee.com/treats/jeep/blue.jpg

TXBLU
04-22-2011, 01:16 PM
If they offer a blue, I sure hope it's not that smurfy blue. Just sayin'...

Eric

Term22
04-22-2011, 01:57 PM
My feeble attempt at PS.

http://www.gumbee.com/treats/jeep/silver.jpg
http://www.gumbee.com/treats/jeep/black.jpg
http://www.gumbee.com/treats/jeep/blue.jpg

simply horrible looking!!!!

jntdysf
04-22-2011, 02:20 PM
The blue one makes me think of the chevy traverse.

Masari.Jones
04-22-2011, 07:56 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://i.netcarshow.com/ncs_show.swf?c=Jeep&m=2012-Grand_Cherokee_SRT8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://i.netcarshow.com/ncs_show.swf?c=Jeep&m=2012-Grand_Cherokee_SRT8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Masari.Jones
04-22-2011, 07:58 PM
http://www.netcarshow.com/jeep/2012-grand_cherokee_srt8/

preVenger
04-26-2011, 02:15 PM
1) Love the front end - it will look even better with a black paint job. Why cant they make it in real red? Never have been a fan of the 'frosted red'.
2) Suede seats. REALLY? Was there a worse choice? (How about some AMC Levi's interior?) So, either seat covers or live with the slicked out suede after you get in and out a few times.
3) I dont mind the wheels. I think it's that red brake thing that I like. (hey, I'm a woman...cut me some slack)
4) HATE the tail lights. Yuk. Has that 'minivan' or crossover look to it. If they wanted to narrow the tailights, how about some LED's that disappear into the bodywork?
5) Truth be told, I dont think I will ever even open the hood...but I was bummed out to read that it is slower than the Gen1 version.

So, do I hate the rear end enough to pass on this one? I guess I need to see one in person. The problem with that is going to be the 'test drive'. I will probably test drive it right into my driveway and forget all about the part that I cant see when I'm driving. I need to unload my '07 diesel GC before that 2013 comes out! There must be a lotta demand for it to have them bring it back.

Jerod
04-26-2011, 03:47 PM
Don't be bummed about the speed because it is not slower than the Gen1. It is actually faster.

evperry
04-27-2011, 01:39 PM
I just saw it in person at the auto show.

The wheels suck. I mean they really suck and I not a wheel guy at all. I don't wanna aftermarket ANYTHING on my car. I hope they offer an upgraded wheel package (wishful thinking).

Front looks good, side looks OK, and rear looks weak.

Inside is perfect.

OsuCowboySRT8
04-27-2011, 05:53 PM
I like it!! Everything except the wheels. What's the price gonna be?

evperry
04-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Pricing in July.

Im sure thats gonna suck just like as bad as the wheels.

I like it!! Everything except the wheels. What's the price gonna be?

OsuCowboySRT8
04-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Oh and I wish they kept the exhaust I'm the center.

evperry
04-27-2011, 06:31 PM
When I was standing there today there was no less the 10 people who ALL said exactly the same thing. We were all perplexed by the decision.

It should be an OPTION at the minimum. But the option should be for the towing and non center exhaust. How many people really use an SRT8 to tow?!?!?!?!?!?!? That what Dodge Rams / Ford F150's are for....They are not gonna make 1 extra sale becuase of the ability to tow, its a uniquely bad decision for a VERY good group of designers.

Jerod
04-27-2011, 06:40 PM
I know a few people that are buying them partially because they can tow. I am one of them honestly. It is nice that I will only have to buy one truck rather than two. Not to mention the SRT8 was one of the only Sport SUV's that couldn't tow.

I do agree that it should have just been optional though, but then again I don't think a center exhaust is that big of a deal. Lost interest in the center exaust back when they dropped it from the Corvette and Camaro in the late 90's.

evperry
04-27-2011, 07:09 PM
I stand corrected.

But yes, it should be an option at best. Most I think want the look.

Raulin
04-27-2011, 11:59 PM
Mmmmm, I'm not sure about this new SRT8 2012. Whats the point?. I was waiting a 6.4 V8 550 HP (6.4 V8 could reach up to 550 HP). Speed is limited to 250 Km/hr, Why?. I think the only real new thing es the suspension (good improvement), and 1/4 mile in 13 sec. The rest is less than the previous generation model. 0 to 60 in 4.8 sec?, That is not good by this times. Maybe, 4.5 sec is a good mark (if you want to run against to a X5M or Porsche Turbo S). The look, sorry but I dont Like it. I'm going to wait for the next generation. I love my SRT8 2008.

Vini
04-29-2011, 06:40 AM
Hey Guys , I hear what your saying and I think that the New GC SRT8 will grow on you, I will not get rid of my GC SRT8 08, but i have also purchased for my wife the new 2011 GC limited last month V6, Hey for the money i think that Jeep done well on all aspects. ( Cars are just like wifes, love then one day , have to get rid of them the next day) Only joking... The New GC SRT8 looks ok, might get one in 2013,or 2014, or 2015.. WTF might wait until the next Gen....Have done too many mod`s to get rid of my girl ..

stang99x
05-08-2011, 01:46 PM
It looks like Chrysler did what everyone else did and started copying other vehicles. The 2012 looks like a mix between a Cayanne and an X5. Quite frankly, I find it pathetic that they ruined what was a good looking Ute that could be rather stealthly. And getting rid of the signature center exhaust exit, while perhaps more cost efficiant and versatile, takes away something everyone loved. Overall grade: Fail

navyavi469
05-08-2011, 03:08 PM
You guys act like not having center exhaust is the end of the world... pfft. A good body shop can fill-in the dual exits and cut-out some new holes in the middle on rear fascia. Then just reweld the rear pipes with tips of your choice.

The reason Jeep went with dual pipes is becuase it was one of the top complaints about the WK1s, like it or not, its just the consumer data. Most people who bought the Jeep probably didn't mod it, they simply drove it as a fast toy... people who buy a $40,000 jeep tend to have other things, like jet skis, motorcycles, and 4-wheelers... thus the demographics eventually shot the center-exhaust in the foot for the WK2.

I personally like the cente exhaust and will look to do a mod in the future on the WK2.

stang99x
05-08-2011, 03:15 PM
The 2010 specs:

max trailer wieght, 3500 pounds. You don't buy this to tow more than a kid on a sled.......

Jack_Toepfer
05-08-2011, 05:25 PM
I can't believe it is still so low, but then again they didnt change the transmission so we still have the same achillies heal. The parking pin.

SamK98WVU
05-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Not a fan. I have seen it at every angle now and I am not impressed. I still like the boxy feel of the Gen1s.
I was going to trade in my 2006 next year if I was overwhelmed with the 2012s, but IMMA GONNA WAIT until 2013 after everyone *****es about this one looking like a minivan with power. Have one of those engineers get on their hands and knees and try to clean those wheels! THEN WE WILL TALK :)

Kazador
05-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Disappointed. I was expecting better performance look and maybe better numbers on weight, run, etc. I'll keep mine for now.

2007 GC SRT
2009 Patriot

ASLEEPER
05-10-2011, 07:57 PM
I've been following this thread & you guys might think I'm talking out my a** but I actually kind of like it. Not to say I'm going to rush right out & buy one cause I'm quite content with my '09. That said, I agree, the wheels are going to be a pita to clean; from a styling standpoint, they've kinda gone with the "me too" as far as SUV's go but I can't deny that I think they did a nice job with it. I'm looking forward to taking one out for a little boot when they come out. Personally, I could care less how my exhausts come out if the power is still there. I don't currently haul anything & probably won't. My .02 cents worth.