Will a CAI better or worsten gas mileage ???? [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Will a CAI better or worsten gas mileage ????

notsag
06-30-2006, 12:35 PM
All things being the same. (ie; not pushing the pedal more because of the CAI).

If so what brand do you recomend?

Wouldnt it be easier to just swap a KN filter for the stock one?

Regards and thanks!

Hotscott7
07-01-2006, 01:22 AM
K&N Filters do nothing....with a CAI you will notice improvements hp wise but the fuel mileage i do not know, you will have to ask someone who has keep track sorry no help

MD SRT-8
07-01-2006, 06:58 AM
I just put on the Mopar CAI last weekend. I could not tell any mileage changes on the 1st tank due to a many extra WOTs (sound nice!!).

After the 2nd tank, I was back to my normal driving habits and definitely have noticed about 1 mpg increase.

BTW, I have about 3400 miles on her so far.

Red SRT-8
07-01-2006, 07:19 AM
IF the CAI actually delivers cooler air the engine will burn fuel more efficiently and, therefore, increase mileage. The problem is that CAIs don't always deliver as promised. One guy building a hot rod Neon was keeping a dyno log after each modification. His AEM CAI lost 5 hp. He replaced the stock box and picked the hp back up. With the Ram SRT-10s, after comparing different CAIs on the dyno and at the drag strip on lots of different trucks, it seems that the CAIs tend to work better in cooler months. Conversely, a drop in K&N in the stock airbox makes more power and produces better results at the track in warmer months.

The bottom line is that you should do your homework on the different types of CAIs and make sure they are really worth it. And, don't go by the butt dyno. It's not accurate. Many times people figure that because it sounds better at WOT they must be making more power but that's not always the case.

rapidude
07-05-2006, 09:04 AM
Since I live in so-cal (a lot of warm weather driving), it sounds like for the money, a drop in K&N would be a pretty good deal. I'm thinking about getting one. Any idea who has the best prices online?

Thanks,
rapidude

SRT8Chris
07-05-2006, 06:24 PM
K&N Filters do nothing....with a CAI you will notice improvements hp wise but the fuel mileage i do not know, you will have to ask someone who has keep track sorry no help

I know it is not a Cherokee but I had an K&N FIPK intake on an 03' Cobra and got pretty good numbers on a dyno (25-35hp). The Cobra intake is pretty restrictive though. I do not know if K&N makes an FIPK intake for the SRT8 though.

BahnBlastR
07-06-2006, 12:44 AM
K&N now has drop in, CAI and oil filter available on their web site. You can also order from different vendors from their site.

Let us know your results.