Jeep Wranger Could Get A V-8 [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Jeep Wranger Could Get A V-8

AutoGuide.com
03-31-2011, 02:46 PM
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/wp-content/uploads//2011/03/Jeep-Wrangler-400x266.jpg

It's still speculation right now, but there are rumors that Chrysler might be planning to shoehorn a version of the new 392 cubic inch (6.4-liter) Hemi V-8 into, of all things the Jeep Wrangler.

Traditional Jeeps haven't had a factory V-8 option since the CJ series under AMC, with was replaced by the original Wrangler for the '87 model year. However, recently, a company called American Expedition Vehicles, based in Montana, took one of the new Hemis and installed into a Wrangler for Jeep CEO Mike Manley to drive.

AEV might be an aftermarket company, but it has strong ties to OE Automotive business and a long history of modifying Jeep Wranglers, as well as building some concept vehicles for Chrysler, so if there's chance of a V-8 Wrangler making production, these guys would certainly be the ones to help make that happen.

In the meantime, the current Jeep Wrangler, although generally well received and popular, especially the four-door Unlimited version, has still been criticized for it's 3.8-liter V-6, which just hasn't struck a chord among Jeep aficionados, at least not in the same way that the old AMC straight-six did; a V-8 option would certainly go along way to give the current model greater appeal.

More: Jeep Wranger Could Get A V-8 (http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2011/03/jeep-wranger-could-get-a-v-8.html) on AutoGuide.com

QuickOne
03-31-2011, 05:14 PM
2 words.

DO IT!

tomsws6
03-31-2011, 06:58 PM
Thats awesome. Honestly I think a small cummins would be the best for hitting the trails with all the low end tq.

Marylandm3
03-31-2011, 06:59 PM
^^^ That would be awesome....

I think the wrangler would be sweet with a hemi in it!

chance575
03-31-2011, 08:32 PM
I highly doubt this will happen due to CAFE standards.

QuickOne
04-01-2011, 06:32 AM
I highly doubt it because RS said no. :(

barry1me
04-05-2011, 08:16 PM
AEV is a division of chrysler.....there are ZERO plans of a production hemi in the JK. I know.

JerseyBoy@Stage6
04-06-2011, 07:41 AM
AEV is NOT a division of Chrysler. They are an independant company that sometimes has done show vehicles for Chrysler. They are in no way tied to Chrysler other then as a supplier. I'm sure you are correct though that there is no plans for a production Hemi wrangler, especially with a 6.4L as that engine is reserved for SRT versions only. A production 5.7L eagle would be a more logical choice but it's still not going to happen.

CAFE is gonna kill the OEMs in 2016. 36mpg fleet AVERAGE(both car and truck) by 2016 is not going to be an easy task. That includes all cars and trucks. to put it this way, for every Hemi powered truck that gets 18mpg, they have to build a car that gets 54mpg, or two cars that get 45mpg. No full line auto manufacturer in the industry can meet that standard now, let alone in 3 years (development time is only 3 years until MY2016). Credit for flex fuel vehicles go away by then too which are not going to help things either. I'm betting that standard is going to change by the time it's implemented.

J

quicksilver
04-07-2011, 06:44 PM
AEV is NOT a division of Chrysler. They are an independant company that sometimes has done show vehicles for Chrysler. They are in no way tied to Chrysler other then as a supplier. I'm sure you are correct though that there is no plans for a production Hemi wrangler, especially with a 6.4L as that engine is reserved for SRT versions only. A production 5.7L eagle would be a more logical choice but it's still not going to happen.

CAFE is gonna kill the OEMs in 2016. 36mpg fleet AVERAGE(both car and truck) by 2016 is not going to be an easy task. That includes all cars and trucks. to put it this way, for every Hemi powered truck that gets 18mpg, they have to build a car that gets 54mpg, or two cars that get 45mpg. No full line auto manufacturer in the industry can meet that standard now, let alone in 3 years (development time is only 3 years until MY2016). Credit for flex fuel vehicles go away by then too which are not going to help things either. I'm betting that standard is going to change by the time it's implemented.

JBig 3 need to start bringing their diesels from over seas, especially for trucks. If they don't start bringing over or designing new diesels they are gonna be f'd with the new standards. Everyone, even Land Rover has badass diesels overseas.

chance575
04-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Foreign diesels do not meet our emissions requirements. Thats why you don't see any of them.

JerseyBoy@Stage6
04-08-2011, 06:13 AM
Chance is right. Most Foreign diesels don't meet US emissions standards. The US and EU have different regulations, even for gasoline engines. The difference is catalyst technology makes it easier to get gasoline engines to meet the US requirements and they are relatively cheap. Diesel aftertreatment is very expensive. When Particulate filters were implemented, you saw the price of an HD truck raise $5000. There is just no room to do that on a passenger car and still have people willing to pay for it.

The other thing you have to becareful of when comparing US and EU fuel economy numbers is that 1UK Gallon is 1.2 US gallons. That gives them a 20% fuel economy improvement right there.

The current price for diesel is $4.029/gal (according to AAA). A gallon of gas is $3.739/gal. Thats 8% higher prices. A good diesel should give you more then enough mileage increase to offset the fuel price but most people just look at the price on the pump. There is a lack of knowledge here in the US about diesel and I dont' think the general public will buy diesels in large quantities until they are more educated about the benefits. Most people thing of a city bus spewing black smoke when you mention diesels and that isn't necessarily the case. There will have to be a consumer shift to make manufacturers bring more diesels to market. If the public really wanted diesel in the volumes that some people think, you would see more on the roads. As it is, there were only 77,877 total passenger car diesels sold in the US last year. In a market that does 11+million sales a year, it's hard to make a business case for them.

J

QuickOne
04-08-2011, 06:34 AM
^ Great points Jersey Boy.

I recently was educated by an AUDI Q7 TDI demo. They started it in the showroom and then proceeded to stick their noses at the tailpipe. It smelled almost like a clothes dryer exhaust and they said you couldn't kill yourself in a ****** with this truck running. It's that clean. Pretty cool technology out there for diesels and you would think there would be some organization paying to educate on this. Especially with the easy adaptability to BioDiesel and other easily produced fuels the diesel can burn.