MOPAR cold air intake [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: MOPAR cold air intake

72RIV
06-30-2006, 02:06 AM
Hello
Does anybody know where I can buy the Mopar cold air intake kit and have it shipped over here in Italy?
I've just asked to MOPAR super center.com but they don't ship oversea.
Thank You in advance,
Giovanni

teda
06-30-2006, 06:14 AM
Hello
Does anybody know where I can buy the Mopar cold air intake kit and have it shipped over here in Italy?
I've just asked to MOPAR super center.com but they don't ship oversea.
Thank You in advance,
Giovanni

You can try here. http://www.southernstatesbuickdodgemazda.com/

also if you want, email sales@gotmoparts.com

address it to Greg...He handles internet sales at Southern States. I have it on and love it. Good looking, and great sound. Comes with excellent install instructions also.
Ted

garyb
07-01-2006, 01:36 PM
got mine from the same guys on EBay so you can check there and I agree, sounds great when jumping on the throttle.

DA BEAST
07-04-2006, 11:22 AM
Has anyone put on a mopar CAI? If so can u give me ur input on it.I'm trying to decide which company to get it from.THX:confused:

rapidude
07-07-2006, 02:49 PM
I can't decide between MOPAR or K&N CAI. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
rapidude:confused:

garyb
07-07-2006, 06:33 PM
my vote is to stick with the factory kit just in case any warranty issues might come up. You stand a much better chance of getting the factory to step up and cover a repair versus giving them the opportunity to turn down coverage based on an aftermarket item. Take it from an ex-factory rep. stick with the factory upgrades when possible and if not, make sure you can take whatever you bolted on, off before you take it in for warranty repairs and don't leave any tell-tale signs if at possible.

STL30
07-08-2006, 10:07 PM
What is the hp gain for each system?

scottiekay
07-09-2006, 06:46 AM
They claim 10-12 hp, I have the mopar only because it being a dodge chrysler part will not void the warrenty. You feel the power increase the most 0-60 and 80-100. You can feel that you get to 100 a little faster then before. The mopar looks much nicer then the K&N. And the install took less then 30 minutes. It was a very simple bolt on and every piece fits well. Worth the money.

rapidude
07-09-2006, 01:41 PM
Here's perhaps a dumb question but I felt that it should be asked.

It it really adds that much HP and Torque, why didn't the SRT team simply put one of these CAI in our Jeeps when they engineered it? :confused:

rapidude

Krush
07-09-2006, 08:12 PM

It it really adds that much HP and Torque, why didn't the SRT team simply put one of these CAI in our Jeeps when they engineered it? :confused:

rapidude

The filters used with CAI kits require maintenance, generally you clean them, not replace them. They are also exposed (how exposed differs with each kit) rather than buried in a box so they get dirty a lot faster.

ARH1956
07-09-2006, 09:26 PM

rapidudeThe Mopar CAI's intake roar @ WOT probably precluded it from consideration on a stock vehicle.

Krush
07-09-2006, 10:12 PM
The Mopar CAI's intake roar @ WOT probably precluded it from consideration on a stock vehicle.

I don't have it on my GC yet but on my Mustang it only added a small roar and only at 75% to WOT. Is it really that loud on the GC?

930chas
07-10-2006, 04:21 AM
Yup, it is that loud. It roars!!! Sounds damn good.

larryc7777
07-10-2006, 06:58 AM
The EPA, God bless them, also have requirements for noise output from new vehicles. Most of us only consider the exhaust system as being the focus of their attention. But ANY noise falls under their scrutiny. The intake noise on an open element filter can get quite loud at WOT....especially with 6.1 liters sucking it in.:D

rapidude
07-10-2006, 09:41 AM
I see. Thanks guys.

rapidude

z28plus
07-10-2006, 11:58 AM
what are you guys paying for these?? I see them on ebay for 300.00 plus shipping, is that a good deal?

Inferno SRT8
07-13-2006, 06:08 PM
Has anyone put on a mopar CAI? If so can u give me ur input on it.I'm trying to decide which company to get it from.THX:confused:

I have it great system and if you have an exhaust done it will sound sick!

jms935
07-13-2006, 06:49 PM
What exhaust do you have inferno?

BLO BY U - TA
07-13-2006, 06:50 PM
I put one on a few hours ago. Easy to install and its alot louder at WOT than stock!

I was alittle impressed....

Alan

BLO BY U - TA
07-13-2006, 06:56 PM
I bought mine from the local dealership. $279.99. Easy to install and directions are pretty good.

But I was suprised on how small the throttle body is. With the displacement of these engines I expected bigger. My LS1 SS has a 90mm, maybe thats what I'm used to seeing :cool:

Alan

Inferno SRT8
07-13-2006, 08:26 PM
What exhaust do you have inferno?

Custom made Magnaflow muffler with no resonators and oval tips

Inferno SRT8
07-13-2006, 08:35 PM
Got mine in a group buy $265 shipped.

HEMEEE
07-14-2006, 01:32 PM
The filters used with CAI kits require maintenance, generally you clean them, not replace them. They are also exposed (how exposed differs with each kit) rather than buried in a box so they get dirty a lot faster.Volant's CAI's are enclosed, I put one on my 300C and am very happy with it.
If they don't make one for the GCSRT8 yet, someone in SoCal might want to consider contacting their R&D Dept. and offer to be their test mule... pave the way for everyone else for something new, and get a freebie, or deep discount for your efforts. ;)

Phatgcsrt8
07-16-2006, 09:16 PM
my vote is to stick with the factory kit just in case any warranty issues might come up. You stand a much better chance of getting the factory to step up and cover a repair versus giving them the opportunity to turn down coverage based on an aftermarket item. Take it from an ex-factory rep. stick with the factory upgrades when possible and if not, make sure you can take whatever you bolted on, off before you take it in for warranty repairs and don't leave any tell-tale signs if at possible.

So the way i read this...if I bought and installed a MOPAR CAI, I should be OK. If I drive it in for any warranty work...you are saying take the CAI off and put the stock air filter system back in it??? I called 4 dealers and all said as long as it is MOPAR it is ok....I also asked about CAI in general and only one was not sure but the rest saif that CAI is not a mod that would viod a warranty......

Any light on the matter would be great...:p

DRIHEAT
07-16-2006, 10:39 PM
Unless the mod itself causes a problem, it won't void the warranty. MOPAR parts are a safer bet in any case.

jms935
07-17-2006, 12:02 AM
I have been told the same thing by my dealer. Any performance parts so long as they are Mopar are ok and will not void the warranty.

OldSchool
07-25-2006, 05:49 PM
Hey Guys,

Quick question about the CAI.

I live in California and a big deal was made during my last smog test (My Mustang Cobra failed the visual inspection because I had a new Mass-Air-Meter with no CARB sticker). Fortunately, the unit I had was CARB legal and just missing the sticker (which the sent me).

With respect to the Jeep, K&N states that their AirCharger kits are Street Legal in Most States (not street legal in CA).

Does anyone know which CAI's are CARB legal? I like the Mopar CAI because I also purchased the extended warranty.

Thanks in advance,

-Ray

split2112
07-25-2006, 06:25 PM
i cant say this with any certainty but GSM is based outta california, and they make a good CAI so im sure theres must be legal in cali

where in california are you from?

garyb
07-26-2006, 01:41 AM
I figured all the CAI's are going to be pretty close in performance gains and they all cost about the same so why mess around and give a dealer or the factory a reason to void warranty coverage so I went with the Mopar kit and it does the job nicley and I know won't be an issue when it comes to warranty and I'm sure it's CARB approved or they wouldn't sell it without a warning about being for "off-road use only".

jordo9998
08-07-2006, 01:36 PM
I put on the mopar CAI on my car. The dealer price for the CAI is $339.00 plus tax. for the hookup they want $190.00

thankgod I got mine for free. When I got my car that day before i signed the deal I said for them to order me one free and it's a done deal.

I had one of the guys do a side job and he put it on for only $60 bucks. everyone said it was easy and only took 30 min.

thats a crock, this thing took 2 hours for me and a SRT tech to put on with all the tools ect... not that easy but can be done. couple problems but thank god I was at the dealer and they had some extra parts to do the job right...

car seems a lot more noise, don't know if I like that kind of noise but it seems to still have a strong kick...

viperrt
08-08-2006, 07:31 AM
I put on the mopar CAI on my car. The dealer price for the CAI is $339.00 plus tax. for the hookup they want $190.00

thankgod I got mine for free. When I got my car that day before i signed the deal I said for them to order me one free and it's a done deal.

I had one of the guys do a side job and he put it on for only $60 bucks. everyone said it was easy and only took 30 min.

thats a crock, this thing took 2 hours for me and a SRT tech to put on with all the tools ect... not that easy but can be done. couple problems but thank god I was at the dealer and they had some extra parts to do the job right...

car seems a lot more noise, don't know if I like that kind of noise but it seems to still have a strong kick...

Wow, please post the name of the SRT tech/dealership so we all can be sure to avoid them! It took me less than an hour, everything fit well, and all parts were included.

jordo9998
08-08-2006, 11:05 AM
the SRT tech actually knew what he was doing...
Just sometimes even if all these cars are the same, the parts don't always fit like they should on each different car. Anyone who knows cars would know this..

One of the main problems we ran into was when it came time to pull the little black sensor port out of the old stock CAI tube and put it in the new one. It didn't want to come out.. We had different people there try different things but it was stuck so deep and stiff in the rubber we wound up cracking it slightly. that's when we went to the parts dep and got a new one.

FYI
the dealer ship I went to for the install and where I got my car was from Southfield Chrysler Jeep in Michigan. They happen to be the number 1 top jeep dealers in the country. Not to mention they are open for service and sales on Saturday and Sunday.

ge2
08-08-2006, 11:31 AM
Any CAI install should be very similar to one another. It definitely shouldn't have taken a pro that long, but perhaps it was his first install of a CAI. Anyhow-- the important thing is that you got it in. Once our community grows a bit more (the SRT community) we'll hopefully never have to hear of one of our own paying for an install like this again.

Krush
08-08-2006, 11:34 AM
the SRT tech actually knew what he was doing...
Just sometimes even if all these cars are the same, the parts don't always fit like they should on each different car. Anyone who knows cars would know this..

One of the main problems we ran into was when it came time to pull the little black sensor port out of the old stock CAI tube and put it in the new one. It didn't want to come out.. We had different people there try different things but it was stuck so deep and stiff in the rubber we wound up cracking it slightly. that's when we went to the parts dep and got a new one.

That sensor was a pain in the ass to get out. I used some soap and was able to pop it out without damage, but it took awhile.

ge2
08-08-2006, 11:38 AM
My GSM came with a new grommet, so I cut notches in the OEM grommet to get it ou easy. I've learned from previous installs that it's easy to damage the sensor if you work it too hard, so if the oem grommet isn't needed, I just cut it.

jordo9998
08-08-2006, 05:40 PM
Yeah, we were going to cut it out but there goes the OEM part...

my car is a lease, so when it goes in, i want to take the mopar CAI out and put the stock one back in.

jordo9998
08-08-2006, 05:43 PM
what do you guys think of the new sound your car makes with the mopar CAI installed? Mine Sounds kinda weird.. it didn't sound like I thought it would. Still seems fast. I can't tell if I got an increase in speed or if it just has more noise?

Phatgcsrt8
08-10-2006, 01:55 PM
what do you guys think of the new sound your car makes with the mopar CAI installed? Mine Sounds kinda weird.. it didn't sound like I thought it would. Still seems fast. I can't tell if I got an increase in speed or if it just has more noise?

I didn't know what to expect. When I heard I was a little worried about the sound, but after time I began to really like it. As far as speed, I really can't tell and off the line difference....but it does seem to pull mid range a little better.

jordo9998
08-10-2006, 11:19 PM
well, there goes a lot of $$ down the drain... I mean, i'm sure you get a touch more power from it, but hard to notice with out putting this thing on the dyno... Well to look on the brighter side, I guess it could give a touch better gas mileage and the sound it makes is very mean as well as the way it looks when you pop the hood. Only us crazy people around here would do the things we do with our cars because we love our srt8's so much... I mean, if you ever pull up to anyone on the road who has an srt8, chances are it's all stock. So it feels good to have a little custom work done in the least..

jordo9998
08-10-2006, 11:22 PM
By the way, any one know if the mopar CAI upgrade systems we put on our cars are better for the health of the engine?

Also, how often should you clean them, and with what? Compressed air??

jordo9998
08-16-2006, 09:06 AM
Anyone else install one of these? Any thoughts on it?

MrHemi
08-22-2006, 12:17 PM
I've been searching most of the morning to find out who makes the filter for the "Mopar CAI". Some have said that the system uses an AEM filter... that got me worried because as of November 2005 AEM has been making the DryFlow filter (no oil required). My filter was oiled from the factory... so I'm thinking "WTF?".
Anywho... here's an article I found from http://www.wyckoffchryslerparts.com/mart30srmoco.html

"Heat up your Mopar vehicle with a steady flow of cold air. This bolt-on system is designed to allow cooler outside air through a directional come filter and funnel directly into the intake manifold. These kits provide noticeable horsepower and torque gains under varying atmospheric conditions. Kit includes all mounting hardware and a pre-oiled, washable/reusable filter. Made by K&N for Mopar Performance."

radduc
08-22-2006, 12:29 PM
I have the GSM cold air intake and I Love it!!! I did it in conjuction with the ported and polished heads and intake, and HOLY S%#T does this thing FLY!!:D

MrHemi
08-22-2006, 12:51 PM
I have the GSM cold air intake and I Love it!!! I did it in conjuction with the ported and polished heads and intake, and HOLY S%#T does this thing FLY!!:D
Who makes the filter for GSM?

radduc
08-23-2006, 06:09 AM
I am not sure,but it looks just like a K&N

MrHemi
08-23-2006, 03:32 PM
Okay... the Mopar CAI has been on for a few days now. I have noticed that the intake tube is very hot to the touch after driving for only 1/2 hour or so. What do you guys think about wrapping the tube with a Heat Shield, such as advertised here: http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+115+310682&D=310682

pghpablacksrt8
08-25-2006, 05:41 AM
I was thinking about installing the Mopar CAI, but this last post really worries me. The pictures I have seen of the Mopar CAI look like the CAI is made of metal...is it? If so, that would explain the last poster saying his is getting hot. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a CAI if the tube is hot...it's heating up the air before it gets to the engine, therefore removing the "Cold" factor from the Cold Air Intake...

Thoughts???

candyman
08-25-2006, 07:12 AM
I was thinking about installing the Mopar CAI, but this last post really worries me. The pictures I have seen of the Mopar CAI look like the CAI is made of metal...is it? If so, that would explain the last poster saying his is getting hot. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a CAI if the tube is hot...it's heating up the air before it gets to the engine, therefore removing the "Cold" factor from the Cold Air Intake...

Thoughts???
My thought exactly. That's why when I buy a CAI it will have the plastic or rubber intake tube. Airaid or Volant.

srt8suv
08-25-2006, 04:35 PM
I agree with you..

Try K&N or GSM, but GSM sells it for $300. GSM uses K&N and i heard a couple of guys said it was OK with them. They use Alum. Tube which is better than Steel or SS.

radduc
08-25-2006, 05:03 PM
I would recomend GSM's CAI I have it on my jeep and it's awesome!!!

brzypoint
08-28-2006, 07:13 AM
Well, everyone is talking about the GSM and Mopar CAI kits...I just bought a K&N kit for $269.95! I have purchased several K&N CAI kits for many vehicles in the past and it is a very good system and sounds great! I will post my thoughts on it after the install in a few days...Next step will probably be a Header system with free flowing cats and an aftermarket Catback exhaust. I found 42 RWHP from a CAI kit, Headers with free flow cats and some simple tuning on my 2002 Firehawk :) I think the easist way to find HP in newer vehicles is open up the air flow, more air coming in and more exhaust going out. Simple and good for about 20-50 HP depending on what you do.

generalconfusion
08-31-2006, 03:06 PM
Well, everyone is talking about the GSM and Mopar CAI kits...I just bought a K&N kit for $269.95! I have purchased several K&N CAI kits for many vehicles in the past and it is a very good system and sounds great! I will post my thoughts on it after the install in a few days...Next step will probably be a Header system with free flowing cats and an aftermarket Catback exhaust. I found 42 RWHP from a CAI kit, Headers with free flow cats and some simple tuning on my 2002 Firehawk :) I think the easist way to find HP in newer vehicles is open up the air flow, more air coming in and more exhaust going out. Simple and good for about 20-50 HP depending on what you do.

You will never.... ever in a million years, see 50hp. You might win the lotto or see a meteor strike earth before you see 20 at the rear wheel with cai and exhaust. It has all already been proven.........

Juggernaught
08-31-2006, 06:46 PM
The LS1's respond well to those mods. My 2002 T/A CE had a restrictive air lid and the stock (mediocre) manifolds and exhaust. CAI, headers and exhaust really wake up the LS1 in part due to the MAF (instead of speed density) air flow management. However, most of the guys installing headers still had to get a tune, because the headers leaned out the A/F ratio too much.

With a CAI and good exhaust on the GC SRT8 you might see 20+ horsepower if you also had a tune to adjust the "map" tables in the PCM to compensate. The tech articles on the 6.1 indicate that the stock exhaust manifolds are constructed in such a way as to be almost as effective as headers. Otherwise, as everyone else has said, power increase is somewhat minimal.

jordo9998
08-31-2006, 06:59 PM
the only way you would notice the power increase from the CAI is if you pulled next to a stock jeep srt8. The CAI gives you a little bit of that edge

Str8Srt8
09-15-2006, 10:13 PM
I had my mopar CAI installed today. It was 100.00 in labor, and I paid the higher retail price for it, over 400.00 in all.

The 2nd mod I had done today was having the plastic running boards installed. It looks nice! In installing them, they removed that lower section which had sound proofing material with it. So I lost that sound proofing stuff.

When I FOT it, wholly Sh$$@ it sounds awesome! It not only sounds like it, but it feels like a hemi under the hood!

I can only imagine what a good exhaust mod will do to that sensation.

:D

PorscheSRT8
09-15-2006, 10:23 PM
How about posting some pictures of either the Mopar or K&N cai. I'd like to see how it looks.

Str8Srt8
09-15-2006, 11:17 PM
But of course. I'll post some pics of mine this weekend.

radduc
09-16-2006, 01:23 PM
You paid $100 to have the CAI installed??You could have done it your self in 25 min.That was alot to charge you in my opion.

jordo9998
09-16-2006, 02:20 PM
Radduc,

That is a lot to pay, my dealer was higher to instal a CAI... BUT I had to have the dealer do it as well, I was having trouble removing the sensor from the stock hose to put into the new CAI. The dealer guy cracked mine in half trying to get it off, thank god he just got a new one from parts in like 5 min. I had him do a side job for $60 bucks. The normal price for an install is $199.00 at my dealer... rip off...

But I did run into some issues so I had to take it in. some people don't have the tools or know how to do stuff like that. I started to do it but I had trouble so I put it back together and took it in. 25 min to put one of these babys on seems impossible even if you were trying to rush it and knew what you were doing... It took my SRT tech almost 2 hours to do it. He was taking his time but I was standing there in the back with him for about hour and a 1/2

larryc7777
09-16-2006, 03:19 PM
I found that if you judiciously apply some white lithium assembly lube on the IAT sensor, it is MUCH easier to R&R the unit. Just be careful to not get the grease on the sensor wire. It took me about 1.5 hrs to do the install in my garage. I wasn't in any hurry & I read the instructions step-by-step as I did the install.

shodanusmc
09-16-2006, 07:28 PM
I found that if you judiciously apply some white lithium assembly lube on the IAT sensor, it is MUCH easier to R&R the unit. Just be careful to not get the grease on the sensor wire. It took me about 1.5 hrs to do the install in my garage. I wasn't in any hurry & I read the instructions step-by-step as I did the install.

Thats why its worth it for guys like me to take it in and let the techs do it. I usually read the instructions after I am done, wondering what to do with the left over parts.

jordo9998
09-17-2006, 12:56 PM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/don9998/hood002.jpg

ARH1956
09-17-2006, 01:16 PM
You paid $100 to have the CAI installed??You could have done it your self in 25 min.That was alot to charge you in my opion.25 minutes is a little optimistic, it took me 45 minutes to install my Mopar CAI. Everything went smoothly, the sensor came out with only a minimum of prying in my case. I did not remove the front grille per the instructions, the air tube can be pulled out with a little force on it from inside once you remove the factory air box.
If you follow the instructions & remove the grille, etc., it would take 1.5-2 hours most likely.

PorscheSRT8
09-17-2006, 07:09 PM
Sweet! Very Sweet!!!:)

SVTVIPER
11-07-2006, 01:06 PM
Sorry if this question has been asked already. Can someone please provide the Mopar p/n for their CAI kit. I've made a few calls to my local dealers and I've gotten the same answer. Nothing available yet.

Thanks

candyman
11-07-2006, 01:26 PM
Sorry if this question has been asked already. Can someone please provide the Mopar p/n for their CAI kit. I've made a few calls to my local dealers and I've gotten the same answer. Nothing available yet.

Thanks
P5153471.....................................

teda
11-07-2006, 01:29 PM

Thanks

First of all....your local dealers are idiots....Part number has been out for many months now.

Should be P5153471.

Try this link and talk to Greg to compare pricing with your dealer. Bought several things from him. Good Guy.

Think you can get him at 1-800-899-1002 Ext/ 7439.

http://www.southernstatesbuickdodgemazda.com/

FastJeepSRT8
11-08-2006, 12:42 AM
I just purchased my '07 about a month ago. I'm being told by all of my local dealers that the '06 part# will not work for my '07. Makes little sense since the engines are the same. Oddly enough I'm getting the same story from K&N. Any thoughts or better yet anyone here with an '07 try this yet?

mrfamous
11-08-2006, 12:49 AM
I just purchased my '07 about a month ago. I'm being told by all of my local dealers that the '06 part# will not work for my '07. Makes little sense since the engines are the same. Oddly enough I'm getting the same story from K&N. Any thoughts or better yet anyone here with an '07 try this yet?

That's interesting, this is the first I've heard that the part isn't compatible with the '07. I'll have to keep my eyes on this post because I'm curious if it is true.

FastJeepSRT8
11-08-2006, 01:19 AM
Looking at the photo posted earlier in this thread I see no reason why it wouldn't work. The only thing I've found, which I failed to mention in my post, is that the part# for the hose leading to the intake manifold is different for '07. Other than that everything looks identical.

no1spdrcr
11-09-2006, 12:11 AM
If anyone wants a Mopar CAI for a good price, I just took mine off after three weeks. Works fine just trying something new. I'm in southern California and would be willing to part with it for $175.00.

Rick SRT 8
11-12-2006, 11:04 AM
If anyone wants a Mopar CAI for a good price, I just took mine off after three weeks. Works fine just trying something new. I'm in southern California and would be willing to part with it for $175.00.

You got mail, let me know if still available. Need to know shipping charges to 00681 by USPS(US Mail).