Finally Made It To The Dragstrip [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Finally Made It To The Dragstrip

GotStroke?
06-22-2007, 10:08 PM
Well it only took me ten months but I finally have some (pre tune/converter) baseline numbers.
The details go something like this. I made the 25 mile trek out to Norwalk Raceway Park (elevation 850') expecting good things considering the 75-77F ambient air--though at this time I had no idea what the DA was. I was already somewhat preturbed because I didn't have time to install my phenolic spacers, which definitely would have come in handy today. Shortly after arrival I found myself in line at the gate, where I would wait for just over 50 minutes idling with the A/C on. Simply put, I've never seen this track that crowded before, it was a veritable circus. I would later learn that there was a pro mod (7.00 to 7.50 quarter mile cars, trapping 195-200+) showdown going on, which turned out to be a real PITA.
Ironically, shortly after making it through the gates I found absolutely no one in the staging lanes. I figured what the hell, as crowded as it was already (6:20pm) it was probably only going to get worse, so I made three passes in 15 minutes.
The details: Ambient temp was between 75-77F, humidity was 40%, coolant temp was 192-195F, oil temp ranged from 195-208F, and there was a constant 5-10mph direct headwind. DA ended up being +2100' (verified by a hand held weather station at the track, and after I got home using a few websites). I made the first run in full auto, the others in auto stick (let the computer shift for me), it hit the 1-2 between 5500-5700rpm every time--which needless to say, was highly irritating. All runs with T/C off, and I did not pull the ABS fuse. Basically, these passes were made in 100% street trim with a hot as **** motor, just as you would find me on the street any given day of the week. Basically, I wouldn't call it optimal track form.
The full list of mods on my Jeep includes a full Stainless Works exhaust, snorkel mod, DUB AIR CAI, PCV catch can, and a 176* T-stat.
My runs went like this:

1) 60': 1.878 1/8th: 8.53@81.18 1/4: 13.327@102.30 No Brake Stall

2) 60': 1.849 1/8th: 8.51@81.07 1/4: 13.333@101.48 1500rpm Brake Stall

3) 60': 1.888 1/8th: 8.53@81.38 1/4: 13.327@102.12 2000rpm Brake Stall

Due to breakage and the amount of other vehicles at the track these were the only runs I was able to make. Even more depressing was that after these passes I parked/cooled for 2.5hrs with ice on the intake, pulled the ABS fuse, and ambient temp dropped to 61F!!! There were literally so many vehicles, that when combined with the Pro Mod class shootout and all the oil dropping mid '80s Camaros, that I didn't get to make another pass before leaving at ~10:00pm.

Until I got home and did the math I was rather pissed off. I thought for sure I had the slowest Jeep ever built, lol. Anyway, using the NHRA correction page for DA listed in the Official ET/MPH Thread (originally posted by generalconfusion) my 13.327@102.3 run corrects to 13.00@104.90 and the 13.327@102.12 translates into a 13.00@104.72mph. Now, the fun part. If I correct that same run (13.327@102.3) to -2800ft DA (the air Inferno/Tony had when he ran his best of 12.5@107.93) I end up with 12.52@108.91mph, talk about neck and neck! Damn you East Coast track whores!!! Just to clarify, I'm not in any way knocking Tony, actually commending him. He's put his time in and earned what he's accomplished. As he has the fastest stock longblock N/A Jeep on the list, he becomes the measuring stick we all go up against in the race to 11s.

The next time I run at the strip I'll have the phenolics on, and will either have a Diablo or B&G tune (the spare PCM is sitting in my garage waiting for me to make up my mind). I'll probably wait until Sept/Oct. and see what she does with better air, that or I'll have to make a trip out to E-town to run with the big dogs.

kramsay1234
06-22-2007, 10:13 PM
I think I would have thought the same until the convert....

I don't know if I will get mine to the track or not, but I keep having this fear I will run 13.7. I don't want to find out I do in fact have the slowest one built!

Mango
06-22-2007, 10:49 PM
Nice runs Andy! Thanks for doing all the track runs. :) Hope you had fun doing it as well.

GotStroke?
06-23-2007, 12:45 AM
I think I would have thought the same until the convert....

Seriously, I thought about trading in for a lightly toasted AMG E55 more than once yesterday.

I don't know if I will get mine to the track or not, but I keep having this fear I will run 13.7. I don't want to find out I do in fact have the slowest one built!

If we go through the ET/MPH list and correct the times and traps of those who have supplied DAs, you'll find everyone's times seem to correlate quite nicely.

GotStroke?
06-23-2007, 12:48 AM
Nice runs Andy! Thanks for doing all the track runs. :) Hope you had fun doing it as well.

Thanks JT. Next time I guess I'll have to go on a Wednesday or just rent it out on a weekday with a group of friends. Boy that place has changed in the past few years.

SilveRT8
06-23-2007, 07:39 AM
Great numbers for the DA Andy, see what the BG tune did for me, it works
Claude

GotStroke?
06-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Great numbers for the DA Andy, see what the BG tune did for me, it works
Claude

Thanks Claude, props to you as well! Your numbers are unreal for the mods.

GRNENVY
06-23-2007, 01:25 PM
Correction factors don't always add up.
But nice runs

Well it only took me ten months but I finally have some (pre tune/converter) baseline numbers.

The details go something like this. I made the 25 mile trek out to Norwalk Raceway Park (elevation 850') expecting good things considering the 75-77F ambient air--though at this time I had no idea what the DA was. I was already somewhat preturbed because I didn't have time to install my phenolic spacers, which definitely would have come in handy today. Shortly after arrival I found myself in line at the gate, where I would wait for just over 50 minutes idling with the A/C on. Simply put, I've never seen this track that crowded before, it was a veritable circus. I would later learn that there was a pro mod (7.00 to 7.50 quarter mile cars, trapping 195-200+) showdown going on, which turned out to be a real PITA.
Ironically, shortly after making it through the gates I found absolutely no one in the staging lanes. I figured what the hell, as crowded as it was already (6:20pm) it was probably only going to get worse, so I made three passes in 15 minutes.
The details: Ambient temp was between 75-77F, humidity was 40%, coolant temp was 192-195F, oil temp ranged from 195-208F, and there was a constant 5-10mph direct headwind. DA ended up being +2100' (verified by a hand held weather station at the track, and after I got home using a few websites). I made the first run in full auto, the others in auto stick (let the computer shift for me), it hit the 1-2 between 5500-5700rpm every time--which needless to say, was highly irritating. All runs with T/C off, and I did not pull the ABS fuse. Basically, these passes were made in 100% street trim with a hot as **** motor, just as you would find me on the street any given day of the week. Basically, I wouldn't call it optimal track form.
The full list of mods on my Jeep includes a full Stainless Works exhaust, snorkel mod, DUB AIR CAI, PCV catch can, and a 176* T-stat.
My runs went like this:

1) 60': 1.878 1/8th: 8.53@81.18 1/4: 13.327@102.30 No Brake Stall

2) 60': 1.849 1/8th: 8.51@81.07 1/4: 13.333@101.48 1500rpm Brake Stall

3) 60': 1.888 1/8th: 8.53@81.38 1/4: 13.327@102.12 2000rpm Brake Stall

Due to breakage and the amount of other vehicles at the track these were the only runs I was able to make. Even more depressing was that after these passes I parked/cooled for 2.5hrs with ice on the intake, pulled the ABS fuse, and ambient temp dropped to 61F!!! There were literally so many vehicles, that when combined with the Pro Mod class shootout and all the oil dropping mid '80s Camaros, that I didn't get to make another pass before leaving at ~10:00pm.

Until I got home and did the math I was rather pissed off. I thought for sure I had the slowest Jeep ever built, lol. Anyway, using the NHRA correction page for DA listed in the Official ET/MPH Thread (originally posted by generalconfusion) my 13.327@102.3 run corrects to 13.00@104.90 and the 13.327@102.12 translates into a 13.00@104.72mph. Now, the fun part. If I correct that same run (13.327@102.3) to -2800ft DA (the air Inferno/Tony had when he ran his best of 12.5@107.93) I end up with 12.52@108.91mph, talk about neck and neck! Damn you East Coast track whores!!! Just to clarify, I'm not in any way knocking Tony, actually commending him. He's put his time in and earned what he's accomplished. As he has the fastest stock longblock N/A Jeep on the list, he becomes the measuring stick we all go up against in the race to 11s.

The next time I run at the strip I'll have the phenolics on, and will either have a Diablo or B&G tune (the spare PCM is sitting in my garage waiting for me to make up my mind). I'll probably wait until Sept/Oct. and see what she does with better air, that or I'll have to make a trip out to E-town to run with the big dogs.

GotStroke?
06-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Correction factors don't always add up.
But nice runs

Thanks.

No they don't, but with the deck stacked against me (80 minutes continuous idle/driving time prior to 3 back to back runs against a mild headwind plus the early 1-2 shifts) I think it's probably a fair representation. Still you'll never see me claim to have gone 12.5@108.9 lol, it just makes for an interesting hypothetical. Additionally as you probably already know, racers in sanctioned classes (NMRA, NMCA, FFW, etc.) use correction factors week in and out to accurately chart changes in their combination.
Would you disagree that comparing corrected ETs/Traps makes for a more accurate comparison than using uncorrected data? IMO, even more so than with dyno numbers we need to correct track times and speeds. There are so many variables, including huge discrepancies in DA, track prep, etc.

GRNENVY
06-23-2007, 04:35 PM
I hope you didn't take me the wrong way. :)
You know when world records are made and fastest mph speeds are set at diff tracks across the country theres never a correction factor it's eaither you did it or you didn't.
You know my truck ran slow also 13.40s stock in the heat at Bradenton it is what it is.

GotStroke?
06-23-2007, 05:46 PM
I hope you didn't take me the wrong way. :)
You know when world records are made and fastest mph speeds are set at diff tracks across the country theres never a correction factor it's eaither you did it or you didn't.
You know my truck ran slow also 13.40s stock in the heat at Bradenton it is what it is.

No biggie, I didn't think you were knocking me or the Jeep, and you're right, it ran what it ran. I just wish we had some East coast air every once in a while. I also understand about world records not being corrected, which is why you never see a WR from Bandimere. The same car will unquestionably run much quicker/faster at Cecil Co. for example--especially when one outing is in the early spring and the other in summer. Actually can you imagine if the NHRA/IHRA started implementing weather correction into WRs as of now? LOL, everyone that held one would be pissed as hell because it would be significantly slower. I guess my point is we usually only correct when running in ****ty weather instead of bringing our best ET/Trap ever back to reality. Take a peak at the NHRA corrected ET/MPH list (listed directly below the actual rankings) and you'll note that per the mods, everyone seems to be right where they should be--less Claude with his factory freak.
I wasn't disagreeing with what you said about CFs not always being right, but I really believe a lot of the difference (where there is one) stems from the aero factor (it obviously takes a LOT more power to go from 9.0 to 8.7 than it does 13.3 to 13.0) which really isn't an issue in a 12-13 second ride. Just MO, take it FWIW.

sprsonic
06-23-2007, 07:48 PM
gotstroke, i take it you were at norwalk/summit raceway in ohio. if so, let me know next time you go. was just there yesterday for srt nationals with the srt neons. always looking to make some track runs.

HoustonSRT-8
06-23-2007, 08:01 PM
Until I got home and did the math I was rather pissed off. I thought for sure I had the slowest Jeep ever built, lol.

I thought the same thing with my 13.447 @ 102 in 88* weather until I saw that DA was over 2800 that day.

GotStroke?
06-24-2007, 12:39 PM
gotstroke, i take it you were at norwalk/summit raceway in ohio. if so, let me know next time you go. was just there yesterday for srt nationals with the srt neons. always looking to make some track runs.

Yes, and will do. I actually ran a quick little skittle on my first or second pass. We were even until almost the 1/8th mile then he just took off, maybe he hit the spray or his bigass turbo finally spooled? He ended up trapping 125 lol.