Old Question, New Member Needs Mods Advice [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Old Question, New Member Needs Mods Advice

QwikSUV
06-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Hey Guys,

I am new to the Jeep family as well as this forum. I just recently sold my C6 vette to accomodate my family needs. Obviously I have the need for speed, so I had to have the baddest SUV made in America, so I bought the SRT8 Jeep, and I am in love with this beast!!!!

My first task is to squeeze some additional HP out of this monster without sacrificing the relaibility of the vehicle. So headers, H/C packages, N2O & SC are out of the question. I am thinkig cat-back, CAI, computer reprogramming, colder t-stat, etc, would be my best bet. I realize this is a tall order, but can anyone refer to me the best vendor to use for this? Are there other mods I can do besides what I mentioned above? And how much power I can expect from these mods?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Jason in So Cal.

GotStroke?
06-14-2007, 04:34 PM
176-180 T-stat, snorkel mod, drop in K&N and/or wait for generalconfusion/Runnin9s carbon fiber CAI. Others have run high 12s @ 104-106 with the same basic mods. You can also pull your ABS fuse at the strip to get rid of some TQ management.

cobrakid
06-14-2007, 05:04 PM
.........I see your immediate goals and here are my thoughts.

170* stat.
modify front scoop.....known as the scoop mod.

brake duct mod...running ducts from factory brake cooling duct(s) to bottom of factory air box.

K&N drop in filter

like stated above, pull ABS fuse at the track......bingo high 12s!

No need for an air kit $300, or exhaust $900+.....just my opinion.

use the search button for above mods, and feel free to ask any questions.

adam
06-14-2007, 06:41 PM
.........I see your immediate goals and here are my thoughts.

170* stat.
modify front scoop.....known as the scoop mod.

brake duct mod...running ducts from factory brake cooling duct(s) to bottom of factory air box.

K&N drop in filter

like stated above, pull ABS fuse at the track......bingo high 12s!

No need for an air kit $300, or exhaust $900+.....just my opinion.

use the search button for above mods, and feel free to ask any questions.

Hey cobra kid

How do you modify the front scoop. Is it an after market product. I would not even know where to start.

Also by re directing air from front brakes, could this harm the brakes in any way?

Thanks in advance for your help

Adam

cobrakid
06-14-2007, 07:41 PM
you have to remove the grill, which is cake......about 5 push pins removed,
and it pops out.

You will then see the scoop that turn 90* and points the the driver's, you
simply remove it from the airbox, and trim it so it aims directly out the grill
into the airstream that is rushing directly toward it.

The brake duct mod takes the factory brake cooling ducts and re-routes them
to the bottom of the air box. (must remove the "cup" and do some fabricating.

With those huge Brembo brakes, you will never need those ducts, even if you
were lapping Laguna Seca race track. ...but they had the air dam and vents
might as well add some function with the form.
My Jeep has bigger and better brakes than my brother's 07 Shelby!

Goodluck.....

QwikSUV
06-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

So is a cat back system a waste of $$$$? What is the best rwhp gain I can get from a good system? Also, what about computer retuning? Anything to be gained here?

And is there is reliable vendor on the west coast to work with?

cobrakid
06-15-2007, 01:44 PM
....me again.....

exhaust, in my book doesn't show a whole lot of gain for the $$$$$.

I, myself really want a computer tune, but I am holding out for a tuner,
not the high dollar flashes. To me $900 for a spare computer & flash is nuts.

The other mods are just....first things first to me.

Would I buy exhaust if I had the extra money, maybe.....
I think the Jeeps come with good looking and sounding exhaust, but if I
had done everything else minor and could really see a 20hp+ to the wheels
gain, I would buy it.

I really want a posi diff in the back....that way I could up my nitrous shot
to 125-150, spray it off the line and run 11.8s@115!

OurZoo
06-15-2007, 01:48 PM
GSM is practically in your backyard. General confusion is your neighbor too! They have a few goodies for our rigs. There is only a flash available by B&G thus far. There are rumours of other vendors in development but we all will believe it when we see it. Personally, I would do at least the K&N drop in and the Borla S or T catback system.

Dave
06-15-2007, 04:20 PM
the borla made i think 15 or 20rwhp, pretty signifigant if you ask me

i think the volant cai is worth a tenth and 1 mph in the 1/4 but the k&n drop in filter may be worth as much. id wait on a cai to see how the carbon fibre cai performs.

D-man
06-15-2007, 07:17 PM
Hey Guys,

I am new to the Jeep family as well as this forum. I just recently sold my C6 vette to accomodate my family needs. Obviously I have the need for speed, so I had to have the baddest SUV made in America, so I bought the SRT8 Jeep, and I am in love with this beast!!!!

My first task is to squeeze some additional HP out of this monster without sacrificing the relaibility of the vehicle. So headers, H/C packages, N2O & SC are out of the question. I am thinkig cat-back, CAI, computer reprogramming, colder t-stat, etc, would be my best bet. I realize this is a tall order, but can anyone refer to me the best vendor to use for this? Are there other mods I can do besides what I mentioned above? And how much power I can expect from these mods?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Jason in So Cal.

Welcome, I am So Cal too (La Habra/Fullerton) area.

I just put the (Volant, 176* T-stat, Air-snokel mod and B&G Stage II) as some early intro mods. I did them pretty much all at the same time and by the SOTP dyno, there is definately a "feel-able" difference.

For Bolt-ons, I would have to say one of the top "kings" would be INFERNO SRT8. He runs at Englishtown/Atco Raceway and the DA there is "stupidly" phenomenal, but he has run a 12.53 with the most major mod being headers and NO stall.

He should chime in anytime, or you can search for thread/posts by him

There are plenty of performance junkies here. One is currently dropping a 426ci supercharged in his.

Later