180 Thermostat install DONE . . . . [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: 180 Thermostat install DONE . . . .

RUDE8
06-08-2007, 08:10 AM
. . . and what a friggin pain in the arse it was.

Don't be a bonehead like me and leave your CAI fully installed while you attempt to do this. I have (and love) the GSM CAI and like the stubborn a-hole that I am, decided to embark upon this 5 minute job (yeah right) without removing things to make my life easier.

Thanks again to the good ole fella that made the video clip which I referenced twice to complete this cheap mod.

Here again is the link to the vid: http://media.putfile.com/Changing-the-LX-Thermostat

Working around the CAI obviously made access to the bolts more difficult as well as placement of the bag for collecting coolant that ended up mostly on my ****** floor.

Now the good news . . .

The part itself (Autozone part #: 4128) manufactured by Motorad was only $15.99. So far, no CEL issue or any leaking.

Make sure you have backup shop towels, a 13mm socket, preferrably with an extension, a regular screwdriver to gently pop out the stock t-stat and plenty of patience . . . oh, and a cool ****** or cool temp whereever you decide to do this because you will drip if its over 75*

Most importantly . . . DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS MOD UNTIL YOUR RIG HAS COOLED OFF FOR MANY HOURS . . . preferably overnight.

I did this in the morning and the block was still warm to the touch, don't rush into this after you pull into the ****** tonight.

We'll see if it makes a difference after some driving time . . .

Cheerio,

Phil

HoustonSRT-8
06-08-2007, 08:24 AM
I'll second the bonehead comment. ;)

DMB
06-08-2007, 08:25 AM
Changing mine this weekend- glad you got it done- thanks for the tips- does anyone know where to get a new stant cap- went to 2 auto stores they couldnt help me and couldnt pull anything up on computer- strange. I am in the NY area.
Thanks,
DMB

JayM
06-08-2007, 08:39 AM
does anyone know where to get a new stant cap- went to 2 auto stores they couldnt help me and couldnt pull anything up on computer- strange. I am in the NY area.

I'm in CT and picked mine up from Pep Boys if you have one of those near you. In stock too.

DMB
06-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Hey Jay,
do you know the part # on it at pepboys.
Thanks,
DMB

JayM
06-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Hey Jay,
do you know the part # on it at pepboys.

Just ask them for a Stant 11334.

BLKSRTEIGHT
06-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Quick question---does the 180 Therm mod do anything to the warranty?
Say for instance something really crazy happened and the engine overheated and got damged, and it wasn't the therm---they would more than likely void the entire cooling sys, no?

GotStroke?
06-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Quick question---does the 180 Therm mod do anything to the warranty?
Say for instance something really crazy happened and the engine overheated and got damged, and it wasn't the therm---they would more than likely void the entire cooling sys, no?

The MotoRad/Valucraft T-stats fail (if they fail) in the open position, so this won't happen.

ChrisWK
06-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Once you put the new tstat in do you have to turn the heat on full for the tstat to open and close, I did this on changing a tstat on my old 99 jeep? What is the best tstat to get stant or motorad 180*.

Thanks

GotStroke?
06-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Once you put the new tstat in do you have to turn the heat on full for the tstat to open and close, I did this on changing a tstat on my old 99 jeep? What is the best tstat to get stant or motorad 180*.

Thanks

Motorad/Valucraft > Stant due to a larger diameter opening, and the failsafe feature.

vinsane112
06-08-2007, 02:45 PM
does the stant need to be grinded at all?

GotStroke?
06-08-2007, 03:38 PM
does the stant need to be grinded at all?

Not at all.

BLKSRTEIGHT
06-11-2007, 10:49 AM
Does this mod help in HP and mileage?

Razorecko
06-17-2007, 09:41 AM
Does this mod help in HP and mileage?

supposadly 15-20hp, biggest hp for the $$$, mileage i'm not sure

MARK16
06-18-2007, 03:03 AM
Can't seem to find a source for these in the UK - any UK owners out there know of a source for the 180 ?

Mango
06-18-2007, 05:40 AM
supposadly 15-20hp, biggest hp for the $$$, mileage i'm not sure

I heard it's more like 20-30 hp at the wheels if you do this mod on a black Jeep. :)

luvr 6.1
06-18-2007, 05:45 AM
I heard it's more like 20-30 hp at the wheels if you do this mod on a black Jeep. :)

I just got back from painting my jeep black so I can get those extra ponies!
Only A couple of runs and 16 cans of spray paint, I even did the wheels and tires for good measure. :D

BLKSRTEIGHT
06-22-2007, 12:31 PM
Went to pick up the Valucraft at AutoZone and there wasn't a gasket. The video at the beggining of the thread says there should be a new gasket which is a little bigger than the OE. Is there supposed to be a gasket?

Also, didn't someone say the NAPA therm is OEM, just for comparison?

Ronin
06-22-2007, 03:43 PM

Wow, add all 5 tinted tails and you'll get the same HP/torque gains as doing P&P heads, headers, cams...

Sweet :D

Matty

HoustonSRT-8
06-22-2007, 03:58 PM
Went to pick up the Valucraft at AutoZone and there wasn't a gasket. The video at the beggining of the thread says there should be a new gasket which is a little bigger than the OE. Is there supposed to be a gasket?

The OEM gasket is reuseable.