180 Thermostat install DONE . . . . [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: 180 Thermostat install DONE . . . .

RUDE8
06-08-2007, 09:10 AM
. . . and what a friggin pain in the arse it was.

Don't be a bonehead like me and leave your CAI fully installed while you attempt to do this. I have (and love) the GSM CAI and like the stubborn a-hole that I am, decided to embark upon this 5 minute job (yeah right) without removing things to make my life easier.

Thanks again to the good ole fella that made the video clip which I referenced twice to complete this cheap mod.

Here again is the link to the vid: http://media.putfile.com/Changing-the-LX-Thermostat

Working around the CAI obviously made access to the bolts more difficult as well as placement of the bag for collecting coolant that ended up mostly on my garage floor.

Now the good news . . .

The part itself (Autozone part #: 4128) manufactured by Motorad was only $15.99. So far, no CEL issue or any leaking.

Make sure you have backup shop towels, a 13mm socket, preferrably with an extension, a regular screwdriver to gently pop out the stock t-stat and plenty of patience . . . oh, and a cool garage or cool temp whereever you decide to do this because you will drip if its over 75*

Most importantly . . . DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS MOD UNTIL YOUR RIG HAS COOLED OFF FOR MANY HOURS . . . preferably overnight.

I did this in the morning and the block was still warm to the touch, don't rush into this after you pull into the garage tonight.

We'll see if it makes a difference after some driving time . . .

Cheerio,

Phil

HoustonSRT-8
06-08-2007, 09:24 AM
I'll second the bonehead comment. ;)

DMB
06-08-2007, 09:25 AM
Changing mine this weekend- glad you got it done- thanks for the tips- does anyone know where to get a new stant cap- went to 2 auto stores they couldnt help me and couldnt pull anything up on computer- strange. I am in the NY area.
Thanks,
DMB

JayM
06-08-2007, 09:39 AM
does anyone know where to get a new stant cap- went to 2 auto stores they couldnt help me and couldnt pull anything up on computer- strange. I am in the NY area.

I'm in CT and picked mine up from Pep Boys if you have one of those near you. In stock too.

DMB
06-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Hey Jay,
do you know the part # on it at pepboys.
Thanks,
DMB

JayM
06-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Hey Jay,
do you know the part # on it at pepboys.

Just ask them for a Stant 11334.

BLKSRTEIGHT
06-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Quick question---does the 180 Therm mod do anything to the warranty?
Say for instance something really crazy happened and the engine overheated and got damged, and it wasn't the therm---they would more than likely void the entire cooling sys, no?

GotStroke?
06-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Quick question---does the 180 Therm mod do anything to the warranty?
Say for instance something really crazy happened and the engine overheated and got damged, and it wasn't the therm---they would more than likely void the entire cooling sys, no?

The MotoRad/Valucraft T-stats fail (if they fail) in the open position, so this won't happen.

ChrisWK
06-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Once you put the new tstat in do you have to turn the heat on full for the tstat to open and close, I did this on changing a tstat on my old 99 jeep? What is the best tstat to get stant or motorad 180*.

Thanks

GotStroke?
06-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Once you put the new tstat in do you have to turn the heat on full for the tstat to open and close, I did this on changing a tstat on my old 99 jeep? What is the best tstat to get stant or motorad 180*.

Thanks

Motorad/Valucraft > Stant due to a larger diameter opening, and the failsafe feature.

vinsane112
06-08-2007, 03:45 PM
does the stant need to be grinded at all?

GotStroke?
06-08-2007, 04:38 PM
does the stant need to be grinded at all?

Not at all.

BLKSRTEIGHT
06-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Does this mod help in HP and mileage?

Razorecko
06-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Does this mod help in HP and mileage?

supposadly 15-20hp, biggest hp for the $$$, mileage i'm not sure

MARK16
06-18-2007, 04:03 AM
Can't seem to find a source for these in the UK - any UK owners out there know of a source for the 180 ?

Mango
06-18-2007, 06:40 AM
supposadly 15-20hp, biggest hp for the $$$, mileage i'm not sure

I heard it's more like 20-30 hp at the wheels if you do this mod on a black Jeep. :)

luvr 6.1
06-18-2007, 06:45 AM
I heard it's more like 20-30 hp at the wheels if you do this mod on a black Jeep. :)

I just got back from painting my jeep black so I can get those extra ponies!
Only A couple of runs and 16 cans of spray paint, I even did the wheels and tires for good measure. :D

BLKSRTEIGHT
06-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Went to pick up the Valucraft at AutoZone and there wasn't a gasket. The video at the beggining of the thread says there should be a new gasket which is a little bigger than the OE. Is there supposed to be a gasket?

Also, didn't someone say the NAPA therm is OEM, just for comparison?

Ronin
06-22-2007, 04:43 PM

Wow, add all 5 tinted tails and you'll get the same HP/torque gains as doing P&P heads, headers, cams...

Sweet :D

Matty

HoustonSRT-8
06-22-2007, 04:58 PM
Went to pick up the Valucraft at AutoZone and there wasn't a gasket. The video at the beggining of the thread says there should be a new gasket which is a little bigger than the OE. Is there supposed to be a gasket?

The OEM gasket is reuseable.