Upgrades [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Upgrades

Whirls
06-05-2007, 02:22 PM
Hello... I am new to this forum, but have had my Jeep SRT8 for over a year now. I have been spending too much time upgrading my other cars, I haven't made it to this one yet. What would you recommend upgrading first? I was thinking intake, exhaust and maybe CPU, which I assume is what most people do first (I know I have in the past). What are your recommendations for the best combo? Thanks!!

ge2
06-05-2007, 02:52 PM
The performance guys will be along shortly to offer their nuggets.

Welcome aboard.

Whirls
06-05-2007, 02:56 PM
The performance guys will be along shortly to offer their nuggets.

Welcome aboard.

Thanks!! I use a forum similiar to this for my Porsche info, and they are always very helpful!

Street WK
06-05-2007, 02:56 PM
Welcome!

From what I read I would upgrade the Intake, Exhaust and do a lower degree thermostat (little, but SERIOUS mod for these Jeeps). As far as a CPU, hold off on that one... there might be some ground braking news coming along shortly! :)

Goldengreek5
06-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Welcome!! Headers are a good power mod, 180 t-stat, intake, exhaust, B&G stage 2 flash. It all depends on what kind of paper you want to spend!!

GotStroke?
06-05-2007, 03:51 PM
176-180 T-stat (Autozone, Valucraft 383-170 (4127) or 383-180 (4128) and the snorkel mod (search feature) should be the first things you do. After the B&G stage II PCM reflash seems to be next on the bang for the buck list, followed by headers (catted or catless) and catback.
A converter is another great mod, but it may actually hurt you at the strip until we get the rear limited slip issue figured out.
You can always go H/C but until we have the ability to actually tune, you may not see their full potential.
A K&N drop in filter with stock inlet seems to be just as affective as a CAI at this point, however, runnin9s and generalconfusion may be debuting with a functional and beautiful carbon fiber CAI that completely seals the filter in the airbox and relocates the IAT. Wait for it.

Whirls
06-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the info.... What seems to be the best place to order these mods from (service/price)? I will probably do intake and exhaust now, and hold off on the headers and CPU until I get more info... From reading various threads, Borla seems to be a good choice for exhaust (I had Borla put on my 2000 and 2001 vipers with good results - loved the sound), but I am still unsure on the intake. I didn't have as many options when upgrading the vipers, and the Porsche it totally different... Recommendations? It seems that Volant is the one a lot of people are going with... Thanks again!!

Whirls
06-05-2007, 04:06 PM
176-180 T-stat (Autozone, Valucraft 383-170 (4127) or 383-180 (4128) and the snorkel mod (search feature) should be the first things you do. After the B&G stage II PCM reflash seems to be next on the bang for the buck list, followed by headers (catted or catless) and catback.
A converter is another great mod, but it may actually hurt you at the strip until we get the rear limited slip issue figured out.
You can always go H/C but until we have the ability to actually tune, you may not see their full potential.
A K&N drop in filter with stock inlet seems to be just as affective as a CAI at this point, however, runnin9s and generalconfusion may be debuting with a functional and beautiful carbon fiber CAI that completely seals the filter in the airbox and relocates the IAT. Wait for it.

Thanks - Good info!!

bruso
06-05-2007, 04:14 PM
I went with Volant CAI and Magnaflow CATBACK. love the just louder than stock sound.

b

fergcougar
06-05-2007, 05:08 PM
how do i do a 180 thermo mod

cobrakid
06-05-2007, 06:11 PM
........here some advice from a guy trying to cut corners, but knows what
he is doing..... haha

170* thermostat

front air scoop mod
(keep factory air box)
brake duct mod

K&N drop in filter

fan mod
(pull ABS fuse at track)
high 12s easily at 105ish

then if you must B&G stage II

then exhaust if you must

......or colder iridium plugs, and 75 wet shot .....low 12s@110ish?????

Goodluck.

Whirls
06-08-2007, 08:49 AM
This may be a stupid question, but why is changing the thermostat a good upgrade that people recommend doing as one of the first mods? I have never had to do that with any of my other cars, so just curious....

cobrakid
06-08-2007, 09:37 AM
....b/c these Jeeps as hi tech as they are still respond to the old
hot rodding tricks. The cooler these babies run the better.

They run noticeably better, cooler / with a colder stat.

I was pleasantly surprised to realize also that these Jeeps are
user friendly and pretty straightforward to work on.

I knew nothing about them when I got mine, other than they were
supposed to throw down some low 13s stock.

Then I found out the motors are built good, with very good parts, and
the way they launch is awesome.

I actually think? I like this truck better than my Lightnings, and is more
fun and less stressful than my Cobra was.

The SRT8 Jeeps are tough looking, but people don't realize how big of a
sleeper they are.

have fun.

I did the 170* t-stat, and I am glad.

Pretty easy, but you will need to top of your fluid, burp the system, and
reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes and tapping
the brakes with it disconnected. I have had zero CEL problems with this.

Some people worry about it being too cold.....not gonna happen where I am,
and to me, if you are going to buy the stat, and take the time to install it
why bother if you are only going to go with a 190* or 185* one.

Goodluck.

Whirls
06-08-2007, 09:45 AM
Thanks Cobrakid.. Makes sense.

GotStroke?
06-08-2007, 12:07 PM
I ran a 176* T-stat in 10F weather this past winter and never had any issues with the heater. Also, 176F isn't cold enough to put the Jeep into cold start mode, which would be bad for obvious reasons.