Replaced T-stat but not sure about results [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Replaced T-stat but not sure about results

FastJeepSRT8
05-26-2007, 09:21 PM
Well I got the T-stat replaced and I don't see much of a change in the operating temp except that it stays rock solid at 224 degrees while driving now and about 212 at idle. With the stock stat it would drift up to 234 and even 240 occasionally but most the time 224 was where it used to be. If the weather improves tomorrow I'm heading down to the track to see how the times look. I'm not too concerned because I like that it's not going over 224 now so that has to be an improvement. Just thought I'd share the results. I know there has been a LOT of disscusion on this lately.

MNBob
05-26-2007, 09:24 PM
Do you mean that you got it replaced by the dealer with another 203? Or what temp rating is it?

FastJeepSRT8
05-27-2007, 06:19 PM
I replaced it with a Valucraft 180* myself. Now today I had completely different results. I drove the Jeep all around town this afternoon and the temp stayed between 203 and 206 under normal driving conditions. What a difference a couple days makes. I'm very pleased now and very anxious to get it to the track to see how it does under heavy acceleration.

OurZoo
05-27-2007, 06:43 PM
While cruising it should sit at 190 most of the time.

generalconfusion
05-27-2007, 06:56 PM
I replaced it with a Valucraft 180* myself. Now today I had completely different results. I drove the Jeep all around town this afternoon and the temp stayed between 203 and 206 under normal driving conditions. What a difference a couple days makes. I'm very pleased now and very anxious to get it to the track to see how it does under heavy acceleration.

I have starscanned them and they run right at 190-193 which is the first notch between the 215 and 185.

FastJeepSRT8
05-27-2007, 06:58 PM
While cruising it should sit at 190 most of the time.

I haven't been anywhere near 190 with this stat. Will temps improve over time or do I maybe have a problem?

generalconfusion
05-27-2007, 07:01 PM
I haven't been anywhere near 190 with this stat. Will temps improve over time or do I maybe have a problem?

Did you use a scanner or going off the guage?

Also did you dilute the anti freeze?

GotStroke?
05-28-2007, 11:44 AM
Don't forget the water wetter.

SilveRT8
05-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Don't forget the water wetter.

For the summer, I just dropped one gallon of my coolant and replaced it by one gallon of pure distilled water, it still has a reddish color, do you think I'm OK or do I need the Water wetter ?. Freezing point is now at 5* instead of -50*F.
Claude

GotStroke?
05-29-2007, 12:58 AM
For the summer, I just dropped one gallon of my coolant and replaced it by one gallon of pure distilled water, it still has a reddish color, do you think I'm OK or do I need the Water wetter ?. Freezing point is now at 5* instead of -50*F.
Claude

I did nearly the same thing (removed one gallon of the original mix and replaced it with a like amount of distilled water). I added Water Wetter anyway, figuring it can't hurt.

HoustonSRT-8
05-29-2007, 01:26 PM
I've replaced my t-stat with the Valucraft 180° t-stat and get a steady 235° with cruise control at 75mph. Sigh....

cobrakid
05-29-2007, 02:50 PM
.....let me ask a stupid question......

are you talking about water temp, or oil temp on digital display?

or are your logging the temp via a Dash hawk or something?

thanks.....

Mine runs about 195* ish on the gauge with a 170* stat.

UaeSRT
05-29-2007, 03:10 PM
Can some1 please post some pic on how to replace my T-stat is it easy to put it on ?

awdrocks
05-29-2007, 03:25 PM

thanks.....

+1

235* water temp cruising at 75mph seems crazy.

SilveRT8
05-29-2007, 04:00 PM
+1

235* water temp cruising at 75mph seems crazy.

I have a Stant 180* and my Temps stay between 183 and 190 from Dashhawk readings while cruising
Claude

timster
05-29-2007, 05:05 PM
I have the valuecraft. My temps are 190-200 on the highway.

FastJeepSRT8
05-29-2007, 10:06 PM

thanks.....

You naild it bro, I feel like such a bonehead :o :o . I figured this out earlier today actually when I noticed a big difference between my analog gauge and the "Digital" read out, oops! :rolleyes: I guess I didn't see the frick'n oil can icon in the read out. A big appology for the waist of time on this thread. I'm running 195 -200 all day long.

FastJeepSRT8
05-29-2007, 10:30 PM
Can some1 please post some pic on how to replace my T-stat is it easy to put it on ?

No pics needed man. I'm probably the most mechanically and apparently mentally challenged person on this board so if I can figure this out anyone can. :D Her's all you do. Let your engine cool and remove the air intake hose from the intake manifold. Look straight down from where the intake hose was. That's your thermostat housing. Follow the radiator hose right to it if you're not sure. Get yourself a funnel and attatch it to a peice of garden hose or other type of tubing (I used a piece of vinyl seal tight conduit). Place the funnel under the thermostat housing and run the end of the hose into a CLEAN oil pan or other type of container. SLOWLY losen the two bolts on the housing. The coolent should drain into the container to be used later for refilling the cooling system. Once drained remove the bolts and housing and pull out the old stat with gasket. Remove gasket from old stat and replace on new one. Rub a small amount of coolant around gasket and insert new stat into housing making sure gasket is fitted evenly around opening. Note: gasket will not be seated properly at this time. Place top half of housing into place and slowly tighten both bolts evenly to seat T-stat. Loosen bolts again and remove top of housing to inspect T-stat for proper instalation, then replace and tighten as mentioned above. Remove radiator cap and replace air intake hose. Add coolant to radiator until full. Start motor and run to operating temp. As engine temp rises air will bleed out of system. Continue to fill until all air is out of system (about two cycles of the T-stat). Replace radiator cap and you're done. It's really that simple I promise. ;) I hope this helps.

UaeSRT
05-30-2007, 02:24 AM
woot thanks Fastjeep really helpful info , Glad we have u here :)

HoustonSRT-8
05-30-2007, 10:56 AM

thanks.....

I'm talking about the water temp display in the trip computer. I'll check again the next time I drive it a long distance.

quick1
05-30-2007, 11:11 AM
No pics needed man. I'm probably the most mechanically and apparently mentally challenged person on this board so if I can figure this out anyone can. :D Her's all you do. Let your engine cool and remove the air intake hose from the intake manifold. Look straight down from where the intake hose was. That's your thermostat housing. Follow the radiator hose right to it if you're not sure. Get yourself a funnel and attatch it to a peice of garden hose or other type of tubing (I used a piece of vinyl seal tight conduit). Place the funnel under the thermostat housing and run the end of the hose into a CLEAN oil pan or other type of container. SLOWLY losen the two bolts on the housing. The coolent should drain into the container to be used later for refilling the cooling system. Once drained remove the bolts and housing and pull out the old stat with gasket. Remove gasket from old stat and replace on new one. Rub a small amount of coolant around gasket and insert new stat into housing making sure gasket is fitted evenly around opening. Note: gasket will not be seated properly at this time. Place top half of housing into place and slowly tighten both bolts evenly to seat T-stat. Loosen bolts again and remove top of housing to inspect T-stat for proper instalation, then replace and tighten as mentioned above. Remove radiator cap and replace air intake hose. Add coolant to radiator until full. Start motor and run to operating temp. As engine temp rises air will bleed out of system. Continue to fill until all air is out of system (about two cycles of the T-stat). Replace radiator cap and you're done. It's really that simple I promise. ;) I hope this helps.

That was very helpful, Thanks

HoustonSRT-8
06-01-2007, 12:08 AM
You naild it bro, I feel like such a bonehead :o :o . I figured this out earlier today actually when I noticed a big difference between my analog gauge and the "Digital" read out, oops! :rolleyes: I guess I didn't see the frick'n oil can icon in the read out. A big appology for the waist of time on this thread. I'm running 195 -200 all day long.
I'm embarassed to say that I made the same bonehead mistake. I saw the thermometer in the display and completely ignored the fact that it was stuck in an oil can. I'm running 190-200 just like you. :o

Untouchable
06-29-2007, 08:01 PM
what are you guys seeing while at a light, mine will go just past 215, once i start moving it goes back down. any experiences with this?

MNBob
06-29-2007, 09:37 PM
Untouchable, are you running a 180? My Stant 180 cruises 185-195 and runs up to about 205 at the lights or slowdowns. I think the second tick on the gauge should be 200 as it it is half way between the 185 and the 215.

Also my Dashhawk reads about 7 degrees less than the gauge. Is anyone else getting a lower reading on the Dashhawk than on the gauge?

gculver
06-29-2007, 09:44 PM
Also my Dashhawk reads about 7 degrees less than the gauge. Is anyone else getting a lower reading on the Dashhawk than on the gauge?

Yes, about the same! GC

Untouchable
06-29-2007, 11:19 PM
well it has been hot out here lately (NY)

while running it is below that second tick.

at the light it slowly crawls back up to over 215.

it is the motorad 4128

and I didnt have to file it down