? about the famous fan mod [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: ? about the famous fan mod

mrfreeze
05-24-2007, 06:32 PM
i just finished installing my 3pole switch 1=12volt power for the led, 2=signal 3=ground in the center of the cup holder wired everything up as described ..well my question is when the jeep is off i can turn the high speed fan on and off and it works no problem but the relay clicks rapidly.but when i turn the jeep on i can no longer turn the fan on.so my question is..is this normal or did i do something wrong?

FastSRT8GC
05-24-2007, 07:11 PM
i just finished installing my 3pole switch 1=12volt power for the led, 2=signal 3=ground in the center of the cup holder wired everything up as described ..well my question is when the jeep is off i can turn the high speed fan on and off and it works no problem but the relay clicks rapidly.but when i turn the jeep on i can no longer turn the fan on.so my question is..is this normal or did i do something wrong?

The 12v serves two purposes on that type of switch, one for the accessory, two for the light. In the case of the fan mod you DO NOT want to wire that switch to 12v at all. Just a Negative. So you will loose your fancy little light but you will not mess up your Jeep. The wiring should look like this...

1(labeled as 12v)= GROUND
2= wire out to the relay pole.
3= N/A its the ground for the light.

Your actually using the switch as a ground interrupt and noting else. Get that 12v off of your switch before something fries!!!

mrfreeze
05-24-2007, 07:21 PM
The 12v serves two purposes on that type of switch, one for the accessory, two for the light. In the case of the fan mod you DO NOT want to wire that switch to 12v at all. Just a Negative. So you will loose your fancy little light but you will not mess up your Jeep. The wiring should look like this...

1(labeled as 12v)= GROUND
2= wire out to the relay pole.
3= N/A its the ground for the light.

Your actually using the switch as a ground interrupt and noting else. Get that 12v off of your switch before something fries!!!

thanks man i just went outside and switched the wires along with pulling the 12volt source off problem fixed..this is why i like this forum

FastSRT8GC
05-24-2007, 07:24 PM
thanks man i just went outside and switched the wires along with pulling the 12volt source off problem fixed..this is why i like this forum

Did you use my directions? I want to make sure there is nothing in those directions that imply to put 12v to that switch! This is the second time this has come up. Just want to make sure my directions are easy to follow.
;)

mrfreeze
05-24-2007, 07:28 PM
Did you use my directions? I want to make sure there is nothing in those directions that imply to put 12v to that switch! This is the second time this has come up. Just want to make sure my directions are easy to follow.
;)

ya i follwed your directions..the switch i bought has a led in ,my dumbass not thinking wired up a 12volts to the switch ,but in the end it works well now..just took the 12volt off the #1 and moved the ground to #2 and the signal to #1..thanks