Exhaust question for my wifes SRT8 [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: Exhaust question for my wifes SRT8

doubledowntowin
05-18-2007, 09:45 PM
She wants something louder, but still deep sounding so the muffler delete is out of the question. She doesn't drive the thing like I would so HP gain is not important, and she doesn't want a catback so please don't suggest it. She loves the stock exhaust tips but just wants something louder and deeper. I just spent about 1600$ on mods for my brand new car and she will never understand how one could spend so much on mods. However, what I am looking to do is just replace the muffler with a magnaflow or some other quality muffler. Will changing just the muffler make it much louder and still sound good? Or is removing the resonators and keeping the stock muffler the way to go? I searched the forums and couldn't find exactly what I am looking to do without someone suggesting a cat back system. Thanks in advance for any info. Her jeep is 07 srt8.

OurZoo
05-18-2007, 10:01 PM
I'd just remove the resonators myself and see if I was satisfied with that. I'm going for a catback myself.

SilveRT8
05-18-2007, 10:38 PM
This is how mine sounded at the strip with only the resonators removed.

http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k306/SilveRT8/?action=view&current=Claudedrag.flv

I loved that sound,sort of half way between Stock and a Catback, the only problem is when I installed 3'' pipes to replace the resonators, I got Drone inside the cab between 1500 and 2000rpm, and did not like that. Next I'm going to try 4'' pipes to the back and hope for no more Drone.
Claude

OurZoo
05-18-2007, 10:39 PM
I can deal with a little drone, but I doubt his wife can.

srt8hotrod
05-19-2007, 04:38 AM
i replaced my stock muffler w/ a magnaflow long muffler and the drown inside the cab was horrible,i had to change it back,my wife drives mine to work and back so i see what ya meen, i will figure somthing else out.maybe a borla might sound good ill see,i here those have more packing inside and create a less drown under the cab.good luck

doubledowntowin
05-19-2007, 05:55 AM
I don't think that drone would be a problem because neither of us do any highway driving. Before I got my new car I had an 06 nissan titan with catback exhaust and it was loud and droned a little on the highway but like she said to me about that....You're paying for it don't you want to hear it? I always liked it and don't mind drone. What size muffler should I get to replace the stock, and last should the resonators be removed? Or would that make it too loud. (I know loud is a matter of opinion.) So it sounds like just replacing the muffler would be the way to go for our situation. Thanks for you responses.

GotStroke?
05-19-2007, 09:50 AM
I know you said no catbacks or headers, but hell, why not gain some power and get her what she wants at the same time? In your case, I'd go with a catback (does she even know what it is, and why doesn't she want one?) for ease of install.

blown65
05-19-2007, 01:15 PM
I don't think that drone would be a problem because neither of us do any highway driving. Before I got my new car I had an 06 nissan titan with catback exhaust and it was loud and droned a little on the highway but like she said to me about that....You're paying for it don't you want to hear it? I always liked it and don't mind drone. What size muffler should I get to replace the stock, and last should the resonators be removed? Or would that make it too loud. (I know loud is a matter of opinion.) So it sounds like just replacing the muffler would be the way to go for our situation. Thanks for you responses.

Hearing it inside is one thing, but annoying drone is terrible and you will hear it at various speeds. Its about as annoying as the wind buffeting noise you hear when windows are down IMO. Our H2 with the Corsa exhaust had terrible drone, and our CTS-V had it with the B&B. However, the H2 with B&B has no drone and the Caddy ppl say the Corsa has none. Thats why I'm waiting to see whats said about the Borla on the Jeep. I dont mind something loud, I dont however want annoying drone inside the Jeep.

mrfreeze
05-20-2007, 09:14 AM
if i remember correctly there was a guy on here that installed 2 hush power mufflers and said it sounded great and little to no drone at all

pjvreede
05-20-2007, 06:05 PM
Tony (Inferno SRT8) has tried various muffler +/- resonator combo's before going to the B&B catback. You might PM him for his suggestions. "IdealRide" tried removing the muffler, and put in a couple of straight pipes before he changed to a catback (which one I can't recall). Hope that helps.