temp gauge with 180 t-stat in warm weather [Archive] - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

: temp gauge with 180 t-stat in warm weather

the dj
05-17-2007, 11:22 AM
Weather is in 70's to low 80's here now, my temp gauge goes past 215 now frequently even with a/c off & also highway driving not just in town - what is eveyone else seeing -
lemmie know

FastSRT8GC
05-17-2007, 11:37 AM
Here in FL i really have not seen higher than 215 220. And with the fan mod it cools right back down!

the dj
05-19-2007, 02:35 PM
appreciate it!

good luck with your goodies coming!

AT'sGCSRT8
05-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Mine will travel to 215-220 when sitting in traffic with a/c off. Usually will go down once I get moving. With a/c on the fan kicks on more and keeps it below 215 most of the time.

OurZoo
05-19-2007, 06:19 PM
Same here when I'm sitting in traffic. As soon as I get going again, it falls real fast to 200 and then back to 185.

awdrocks
05-19-2007, 06:46 PM
Do your STR's have an electric from factory? What is your fan mod do?

The reason I ask is because my X from factory has a mechanical fan. I took it out and added an electric fan Black Magic 180 Flex-a-light.

The important update that I like is that it has a probe and module that lets you pick what temp your fan turns on. I upgraded my motor with a 180* t-stat and put my fan so it flashes on at 185*. I will hover around 185-190* in traffic and about 183* while driving and usually the fan turns off. With AC ill get to about 195-205*.

It used to see about 210-215 and I would get nervous, so I would turn on the heater at about those temps to cool the motor down.

If you already have the E-Fan you can buy the probe and controller on its own for about $100 and wire it up to your fan.

Heck that might already be your fan mod... lol

HoustonSRT-8
05-19-2007, 07:20 PM
The fan mod is to wire in a switch that allows you to turn on the electric fan manually whenever you like.

If you already have the E-Fan you can buy the probe and controller on its own for about $100 and wire it up to your fan.

Link to probe & controller?

Inferno SRT8
05-19-2007, 07:25 PM
Do your STR's have an electric from factory? What is your fan mod do?

The reason I ask is because my X from factory has a mechanical fan. I took it out and added an electric fan Black Magic 180 Flex-a-light.

The important update that I like is that it has a probe and module that lets you pick what temp your fan turns on. I upgraded my motor with a 180* t-stat and put my fan so it flashes on at 185*. I will hover around 185-190* in traffic and about 183* while driving and usually the fan turns off. With AC ill get to about 195-205*.

It used to see about 210-215 and I would get nervous, so I would turn on the heater at about those temps to cool the motor down.

Heck that might already be your fan mod... lol

Its a 2 speed motor. My fan mod at the track is pulling the low speed fan relay, the PCM thinks the low speed relay has failed and starts the high speed fan 100% on until you clear the OBD.

awdrocks
05-19-2007, 08:12 PM
The fan mod is to wire in a switch that allows you to turn on the electric fan manually whenever you like.

Link to probe & controller?

You can just use this.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=FLX%2D31147&N=700+115&autoview=sku

My controller came with my fan as a kit which has a plug for the AC, so the fan turns on when the AC is turned on. I don't use it though. I don't think this controller has that option. I just have my fan turn on at 185*, AC or no AC.

Here are more controllers:

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=fans&N=700+115&Nao=0&Ntk=KeywordSearch#rstop

the dj
05-19-2007, 10:42 PM
that's cool but it would be harder to hide that stuff if you needed to take your car in for service - the fan mod you've read about here is a little more stealth & if needed easier to connect/disconnect.

awdrocks
05-19-2007, 11:05 PM
that's cool but it would be harder to hide that stuff if you needed to take your car in for service - the fan mod you've read about here is a little more stealth & if needed easier to connect/disconnect.

What temp is your fan turning on at?

I also REALLY recommend 100% distilled water with water wetter. Dropped me about 10* across the board.

the dj
05-20-2007, 11:17 AM
it turns on around 185 ish, it will hold below 200 but will climb a hair past 215 often - it goes down afterwards though.
What's funny also I have the Stant Lever Lock cap (stock cap leaks with the 180 t-stat for some reason) & that will squirt once in awhile now too

teda
05-20-2007, 11:41 AM
it turns on around 185 ish, it will hold below 200 but will climb a hair past 215 often - it goes down afterwards though.
What's funny also I have the Stant Lever Lock cap (stock cap leaks with the 180 t-stat for some reason) & that will squirt once in awhile now too

My Stant Lever Lock recently started spraying slightly also. Bought a new one today to try....Going to make sure I don't lift the lever at all on this one and see how it lasts...........

the dj
05-21-2007, 02:08 PM
HMMM I just checked it yesterday & it's fine. Level isn't really down so I didn't loose too much. I wonder if there are any other caps we can use

BuilderBill
05-21-2007, 02:44 PM
HMMM I just checked it yesterday & it's fine. Level isn't really down so I didn't loose too much. I wonder if there are any other caps we can use
Didn't I read on here where someone just used a 1/2" hose clamp on the rubber line and cured the sprays?
Bill

candyman
05-21-2007, 02:49 PM
http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Products/ProductInstancePopup.php?id=2424

teda
05-21-2007, 03:16 PM
Didn't I read on here where someone just used a 1/2" hose clamp on the rubber line and cured the sprays?
Bill

Yeah....did that already BB. No spray from hose. And I can see the trail coming from directly under the cap down the neck. Put the new one on, but didn't get a chance to check it yet.

Was running around SW Fl today picking up permits in different counties and used the M (@ 27mpg and getting .50 cents a mile makes more sense).

Will check it over the next few days.

awdrocks
05-21-2007, 05:23 PM
it turns on around 185 ish, it will hold below 200 but will climb a hair past 215 often

I did some tests these last few days... I have a 180* t-stat and I have my fan turn on at 185*.

If I drive TOTALLY normal. My water hovers between 179-186, always. I got to the McDonald's drive through at about 185 and after about 8 minutes of waiting I left with my food and my temp was at 179*.

If I start driving above average speeds and start to drive on the "faster" side, Ill see about 190-200 max with no AC. Try the distilled water and water wetter and you might find the nice surprise to stay at the lower 200's instead of creeping to 215ish. Worked for me. Well I also have an aftermarket all aluminum 3core radiator (stock was also all aluminum, but 2core). The distilled water and water wetter dropped me about 10*, maybe a little more.

But test your t-stat and fan setup to make sure its working the way it suppose to. Drive totally normal, and see if you can see your temps hover between when your t-stat opens, fan turns on, and see if it will close the t-stat again. You temps will go up and down from your t-stat opening and closing.

Mine goes up and down from about 179-186*, as my cycle of t-stat and fan work together. You want your t-stat to be opening and closing, if it doesnt re-adjust your fan to turn on at a little different temp.

Just a thought.

AT'sGCSRT8
05-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Its a 2 speed motor. My fan mod at the track is pulling the low speed fan relay, the PCM thinks the low speed relay has failed and starts the high speed fan 100% on until you clear the OBD.

So do you leave the fan on during the run or just by clearing the code does the fan shut off? Or do you have to replace the relay and clear the code to shut the fan off?:confused: Details please. TIA:D

MNBob
05-21-2007, 08:31 PM
I am on my third one and this is what I found:

Cruising Highway
Factory 203 210
Stant 195 201
Stant 180 185

With the air off, there are 15-20 degree temperature run ups when you slow down or get caught in traffic. I am sure I saw the temp gauge above 230 with the factory stat.

I drive a lot with the air off (Minnesota), and now (with the 180) the most I have seen is 210 and then only briefly. With the air on, the fan kicks in most of the time and keeps the temps nearer the driving levels above.

I think the high temp thermostat from the factory is mostly to insure emissions stay low. Also, theoretically, you should get better mileage since less combustion heat is lost to the engine. However, I am interested in longevity believe lower temps are better, especially for the transmission.

FastSRT8GC
05-21-2007, 10:30 PM
So do you leave the fan on during the run or just by clearing the code does the fan shut off? Or do you have to replace the relay and clear the code to shut the fan off?:confused: Details please. TIA:D

Check out the MOD directions page in my signature. You can ground the relay however you would like!!

SRedrockT8
05-22-2007, 06:27 AM
Check out the MOD directions page in my signature. You can ground the relay however you would like!!

much thanks to you Fast. i did your fan relay mod & i'de have to say it was very very easy to do & it works fantastic.

i don't have a dashhawk to see actual coolant temps but when at the track i let the temp guage move just off the 185, hit the switch while waiting in the staging lanes and the coolant temp gauge drops to it's lowest point by the time i get to the starting line. once i pre-stage i turn the switch off, stage, then i'm gone. works every time.

pjvreede
05-22-2007, 06:36 PM
I am on my third one and this is what I found:

Cruising Highway
Factory 203 210
Stant 195 201
Stant 180 185

With the air off, there are 15-20 degree temperature run ups when you slow down or get caught in traffic. I am sure I saw the temp gauge above 230 with the factory stat.

I drive a lot with the air off (Minnesota), and now (with the 180) the most I have seen is 210 and then only briefly. With the air on, the fan kicks in most of the time and keeps the temps nearer the driving levels above.

I think the high temp thermostat from the factory is mostly to insure emissions stay low. Also, theoretically, you should get better mileage since less combustion heat is lost to the engine. However, I am interested in longevity believe lower temps are better, especially for the transmission.

MNBob:

If you want to keep transmission temps low, then you need the fan mod more than the thermostat change. With interstate traffic, it doesn't matter (d/t high air flows through the radiator), but with city traffic, the fan mod makes a big difference. Personally, I run the 180 degree stat and the low speed fan bypass mod, and my transmission temps run in the high 160's-low 170's in all traffic conditions. Without airflow, there is no cooling of the transmission fluid.

Pieter

Totally on the side: Are you still happy with your memphis audio/cdt speaker set-up? Out of curiousity, is memphis audio speakers all around a reasonable cost-effective alternative to the CDT's?

the dj
05-22-2007, 07:31 PM
yeah Fast, I'm gonna do the fan mod this weekend since I'm sending out my PCM to B&G anyways

MNBob
05-22-2007, 07:38 PM
pjvreede, you are absolutely right. The fan mod is my next thing on my list, along with the dashhawk, which should be delivered any day. I haven't gone to the track yet with mine, but from what I hear, the fan mod is mandatory for this. And with the instructions on FastSRT8GC's site, nobody that wants to do this has an excuse not to.

I have been limited on time lately as I have been working 50+ hour weeks.

I am totally happy with the audio system, what an improvement by just upgrading the speakers! I sure you can do better going all out, but this is certainly good enough for me. As for the Memphis/CDT comparison, it is hard to compare because they are different drivers. In retrospect, I am glad I spent the money on the CDT's (which seemed like a lot at the time) because everything came out so good. Those 4 6.75" drivers in the doors really give a good bass depth to the music and complement the sub.

Go~RillaWRX
05-23-2007, 01:26 PM
W/ my 180* i never see 185* temps. I something wrong? Mine usually sits on the notch between 185 and 215. Do i need to burp the system again, or is this what is expected?

MNBob
05-23-2007, 08:02 PM
I think that if you cruise at 60+ for any length of time, you should be near 185. The notch looks to me to be half way between the 185 and the 215 and thus should be right around 200.

Lets see if anyone else that has a 180 can share the input on this.

I have changed mine twice now and never had to burp it. Just carefully filled the radiator and put a little extra in the overflow tank.

mrfreeze
05-23-2007, 08:11 PM
did my 180 thermo changed today along with adding redline's water wetter and a 60/40 mix..my first reactions were "oh sh*t" my stat doesn't work but after about 30 mins of driving my stat moved up to what appeared to be the 200 mark..tomm i'm going to finish my fan mod along with the maf relocation ..can't wait to hit the track on friday to see how it compares..

awdrocks
05-23-2007, 10:16 PM
did my 180 thermo changed today along with adding redline's water wetter and a 60/40 mix..my first reactions were "oh sh*t" my stat doesn't work but after about 30 mins of driving my stat moved up to what appeared to be the 200 mark..tomm i'm going to finish my fan mod along with the maf relocation ..can't wait to hit the track on friday to see how it compares..

If your weather is not to cold, like to freeze your water. You should try 100% distilled water. Ive seen test where they add the 60/40 mix or so and the water wetter doesn't do as good as a job as its intended for. It works best with pure water. The water wetter has an anti-corrosive solution. But you can see what kind of results you get like that, then if you want more cooling power try 100%. Good luck!!!

Go~RillaWRX
05-24-2007, 08:35 AM
Uh, So where do people w/ 180* stats temps stay when driving, mine stays at that 200 notch when on highway.

mrfreeze
05-24-2007, 02:16 PM
If your weather is not to cold, like to freeze your water. You should try 100% distilled water. Ive seen test where they add the 60/40 mix or so and the water wetter doesn't do as good as a job as its intended for. It works best with pure water. The water wetter has an anti-corrosive solution. But you can see what kind of results you get like that, then if you want more cooling power try 100%. Good luck!!!

thanks for the heads-up..i was once told by a buddy of mine its not wise to use 100% water but to use a 60/40 mix being 60% water and 40% coolent..not saying that its all true but he does build motors for a living so i took to his word...

awdrocks
05-24-2007, 02:45 PM
thanks for the heads-up..i was once told by a buddy of mine its not wise to use 100% water but to use a 60/40 mix being 60% water and 40% coolent..not saying that its all true but he does build motors for a living so i took to his word...

Yeah I hear you. I did quite a bit of research as well before deciding to do distilled water. A LOT of mixed feeling out there, just do with what your comfortable with. I have an aluminum block so it was a little easier for me to take that route.